General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Benjanyan
(regular) Wed 17-Jun-20 15:23:35
Print Post

Re: Smarty slow/stalling page loading

[re: syncropatrick] [link to this post]

I think so too but...

I've tried via another cell today on my phone and the issue didn't seem to be present. Smarty support have also said that there's ongoing work at the specific mast I'm connecting to at home since yesterday. They didn't have a completion date for the work.

So I'll give it a little while and see if it improves. And like you, I'm resorting to using a VPN to make it more usable!

Ben
Standard User JackpotUK
(newbie) Thu 18-Jun-20 12:16:10
Print Post

[re: Benjanyan] [link to this post]

HI all, just adding to this.

A few months ago, I too joined smarty and found them to be really good. Using it through a Huawei B525-23a router, I would often get 4G+ and thus, speeds up to 60Mbps.

Then, one day, I noticed that I couldn't log into my Dropbox and my wife couldn't access some of her Uni books.

To cut a long story short, after about 40 emails over a 6 week period to a very nice man called Graeme, today my Dropbox is back. His 'networking team' obviously did something to rectify the problem, so I suggest you all put a similar complaint in as it could rectify your problems.
Standard User Tempbemp
(newbie) Fri 17-Jul-20 20:24:48
Print Post

[re: Benjanyan] [link to this post]

I googled my problem with smarty and found your post so yes I agree! I change my mobile provider frequently and whilst 3 I have no problems with (re network) - they are fast and plentiful. Smarty have something going on that I doubt they are even aware of. Something is wrong. Too slow waiting for the lightest of pages to fully load.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ZombieWorm
(newbie) Mon 20-Jul-20 22:41:27
Print Post

[re: syncropatrick] [link to this post]

Yes I am glad only because I am not the only one pointing the finger at the 3 network now. I done lots of testing, and my day job is a sys admin for a SMB so I know how to do reasonable troubleshooting.

I had to bite the lip when it was classic "reboot your phone" and "take the SIM out and pop back in" advice as they dont believe you when you flag it up with them.

Numerous "local unscheduled maintenance in your postcode" excuses as I think they dont know what to tell you.

The last service personnel that replied to my complaint basically said if you dont like it try another provider - so I have not renewed it.
Standard User ZombieWorm
(newbie) Tue 21-Jul-20 14:25:36
Print Post

[re: ZombieWorm] [link to this post]

Today has been horrendous to get bulletin board and web pages to load.

I even setup a VPN to test in the router and it didnt get better.

As some have said popular sites seem to load normal, its a strange balance mechanism they have setup prioritising streaming for example.

Items such as captcha get very confused and really frustrating for users.
Standard User buggerlugs
(member) Tue 21-Jul-20 16:30:28
Print Post

[re: ZombieWorm] [link to this post]

I don't think its three's network but a combination of outdated mast tech and the way the masts talk to their backbone provider, So when there is a lack of available bandwidth at the mast to and from their backbone provider it starts the page hanging issue.

I base this conclusion on the fact when I'm getting the highest levels of contention (slowest speeds) the page load issue shows itself far more frequently.

The way this issue only arose when three launched 5g on their "New core" probably has a lot to do with it too. Whether that is part of their network or not is anyone's guess.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Jul-20 17:16:41
Print Post

[re: buggerlugs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by buggerlugs:
I don't think its three's network but a combination of outdated mast tech and the way the masts talk to their backbone provider.
That sounds like a fair guess.

From Peter Clarke on twitter comes this statement on Three's network: Nokia/Samsung Core. Nokia (3G), Samsung (4G), Huawei (4G+5G) RAN.

We know Three was removing Samsung and adding Huawei 4G, to allow for Huawei 5G to sit alongside. This seems to be continuing until end of this year, when they'll have to switch based on Government news last week.

So perhaps there is a problem with the Samsung 4G equipment in high load areas? I don't think any other UK network used Samsung equipment.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User buggerlugs
(member) Tue 21-Jul-20 18:10:16
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

So does it mean they'll have to remove all existing 4g and 5g Huawei mast hardware?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Jul-20 18:33:08
Print Post

[re: buggerlugs] [link to this post]

I’m not an expert but I believe the govt ruling is for 5G hardware only.

However since 5G needs 4G to work (today) the networks may choose to swap both at the same time to a new vendor.

They have until 2027 !!

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User buggerlugs
(member) Wed 22-Jul-20 08:54:24
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Interesting, so that'd explain the way Three's 5g rollout affected the quality of the 4g service. Seems a daft way to implement a newer technology, by taking bandwidth from existing technology.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to