General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ZombieWorm
(newbie) Wed 22-Jul-20 09:05:34
Print Post

Re: Smarty slow/stalling page loading

[re: buggerlugs] [link to this post]

It is and considering from what I have read the 5G masts are going to be cherry picked areas I can only hope the less dense rural users that need the bandwidth get factored in first.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Jul-20 09:14:04
Print Post

[re: buggerlugs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by buggerlugs:
Interesting, so that'd explain the way Three's 5g rollout affected the quality of the 4g service. Seems a daft way to implement a newer technology, by taking bandwidth from existing technology.

Uhhh?? Nope, you've got that wrong. 5G does NOT take bandwidth from 4G, in fact in the UK it is using the 3.5 GHz band, which is not used for 4G

5G today in most of the world is "non stand alone" which means it only works alongside 4G, and today it needs the same vendor of hardware. So that Three can add 5G they need to replace the Samsung 4G hardware with Huawei 4G hardware, which enables them to add 5G.

The Samsung hardware does not seem to be working very well in a lot of places. Unfortunately I don't know how to tell which hardware your local mast has.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Jul-20 09:14:58
Print Post

[re: ZombieWorm] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ZombieWorm:
It is and considering from what I have read the 5G masts are going to be cherry picked areas I can only hope the less dense rural users that need the bandwidth get factored in first.

Most rural areas won't need 5G, but need solid and working 4G, which seems to be the problem. For some people switching to another network has proved this.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ZombieWorm
(newbie) Wed 22-Jul-20 16:57:33
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I am pretty sure I am served from the same mast. I cant rule out though who owns the equipment and then prioritise their service (if they can).
Standard User Anonymous1337
(newbie) Tue 28-Jul-20 09:51:19
Print Post

[re: Benjanyan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Benjanyan:
Needless to say, this is sort of annoying. The problem, of course, disappears when via a VPN. Actual throughput is fine.

Is anyone else experiencing this on Smarty or perhaps 3?

I can confirm the same issue. I use Smarty in an old 4G mobile and tethered for internet. Page loads don't even occur, or are very slow. If I turn on a VPN - everything is fine.

Interestingly enough, if I TURN OFF 4G and force the phone to 3G, page loads are fast again, and it isn't an issue of 4G congestion in my area as I get at least 60mbps most of the day!

Something is seriously wrong with Three's/Smarty's 4G APN or something. I won't hold my breath on them fixing it however.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Jul-20 10:35:55
Print Post

[re: Anonymous1337] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous1337:
Something is seriously wrong with Three's/Smarty's 4G APN or something. I won't hold my breath on them fixing it however.

You might find a real Three SIM is better. Smarty is a discount service, and I wonder if they are rate limiting, which would explain why a VPN is able to bypass?

Standard User andynormancx
(member) Tue 28-Jul-20 10:48:20
Print Post

When my Three connection got really bad it didn't look like anything to do with rate limiting.

The problem appeared to be around starting new TCP connections. If you had a TCP connection setup or where using UDP (like your typical VPN or some video streaming) then everything worked well.

When you were doing something that involved creating lots of TCP connections, like browsing complex webpages then things started taking a long time to load or failing to load.

The problem occurred for me on both of Three's APNs, so it can't have been the CGNAT part of the network that was having problems. Somewhere else in their network didn't seem to be giving TCP syn/ack processes the appropriate priority.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Jul-20 11:05:07
Print Post

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by andynormancx:
When my Three connection got really bad it didn't look like anything to do with rate limiting.
I wonder if it is load, or the (perhaps legacy?) equipment in your area is cannot cope at that percentage of load?

Standard User Benjanyan
(member) Tue 28-Jul-20 18:37:05
Print Post

I can't really make sense of it to be honest. I agree with most of what's been said so far.

I don't think it's totally random though - I feel static parts of a page (CSS, js, HTML) and notably things from CDNs suffer from the issue far more if you're watching in developer tools. This is why I've suggested it's some kind of caching proxy that just isn't performing sometimes. Popular sites seem to suffer far less. If you're googling something obscure and looking at a lot of random sites, it's painful.

But then again, I didn't see the issue on another mast further down the road... So perhaps more like jchaimer's theory.

I did raise this with Smarty and requested that they raise it with their network team. After determining that I was using no data (because they were looking at the wrong mast), I've not heard from them since.

I no longer actually need the connection now so I've not been using it since the weekend. I don't plan to use it or chase Smarty now.

Ben
Standard User Anonymous1337
(newbie) Wed 12-Aug-20 13:23:44
Print Post

[re: Benjanyan] [link to this post]

Do people still have this issue even when they have turned off the content filter?

This is what I was going to test next.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to