General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DanielCoffey67
(member) Wed 08-Jul-20 21:07:19
Print Post

EE 4G - can Ping but not browse on new SIM?

[link to this post]

Hello folks - I am trying to assist a neighbour get their 4G modem working and I need some help please.

Like me, they were with BT in rural South West Scotland and struggling with about 7Mbps down and 0.8Mbps up. Last August I switched to the EE 4G Unlimited Data SIM with an OutdoorRouters.com EZR30 Cat6 modem/router running their version of OpenWRT and an outdoor omni antenna.

After talking to me last month the neighbour ordered the (more recent) EZR33 Cat6 modem/router and have just had it professionally installed by a private comms engineer. The installation has been fine but the modem won't allow us to access web pages and I don't know where to begin troubleshooting.

Firstly their EE SIM works fine in two different smartphones. It is recognised and can visit websites. It is installed in SIM Slot 1 in the EZR33 and can connect to and see the same local mast as I do at about 3 mile range. Their signal strength is a little lower than mine (RSRP -97dBm compared to my -92dBm) but they have a 5m cable compared to my 1m and are in heavier trees. The EZR33 is factory reset, passworded, running the latest firmware and has secured wifi.

When viewing the status page over wifi the EZR33 is reporting QMI Cellular as Connected and has an IP4 address. Live Traffic shows small numbers of packets coming and going to the order of a few Kb per second. Diagnostics - Ping - Google.com correctly finds Google and returns 0% packet loss. I can see a bump in the Live Traffic if I query the modem's "Find Latest Firmware" page and it reports firmware up to date.

The catch is that if I try to access any web page I simply get "Safari cannot display this page. Server is not responding". I never get anything else even when going to google, the BBC etc.

Opening the Terminal on the EZR33 and typing "gcom" shows the SIM as responding and active.

I don't know what to suggest to my neighbour next. Would any logs from the EZR33 be of use (providing I could redact any personally identifying info)?

Are there any questions they should be asking EE given that we are not using their hardware?

Are there any commands I can use to query the modem and see what it thinks it can connect to (or not)?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Standard User gary333
(committed) Wed 08-Jul-20 21:21:07
Print Post

Re: EE 4G - can Ping but not browse on new SIM?

[re: DanielCoffey67] [link to this post]

Can you try your sim in their device? This would at least rule out an EE system “blacklisting” and confirm if it’s the equipment or network.
(member) Wed 08-Jul-20 21:21:57
Print Post

Interesting extra details - the IP address my neighbour has been allocated is vastly different from mine. When plugging it into WhatIsMyIPAddress.com it is confused and doesn't know anything about it. Should EE be informed about this?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Wed 08-Jul-20 21:22:59
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Sadly no - my SIM is high up on a roof and would require a professional ladder to access which I don't have.
Standard User gary333
(committed) Wed 08-Jul-20 21:25:08
Print Post

Does he or yourself not have a mobile phone you could pop the sim out of and try?
Standard User gary333
(committed) Wed 08-Jul-20 21:29:27
Print Post

Also, is the correct APN setup in the router? I know it’s a simple check but it does sound like the network is artificially limiting what you can do. Some networks allow connection even with wrong APN (so you do see a data connection), however activity over most services is blocked.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Jul-20 21:30:11
Print Post

Do you have the right APN set?

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
(member) Wed 08-Jul-20 21:39:13
Print Post

Ah, I understand. Yes we both do. Mine is with O2 and I don't know if they have an EE one. Fortunately their modem is just outside an upper floor window and only requires a little precarious leaning and fiddling with an Allen key to get out.
(member) Wed 08-Jul-20 21:44:24
Print Post

To reply to both gary333 and jchamier - I believe I have the correct APN set. It is the public ones for EE as follows...

Protocol : QMI Cellular
Modem Device : /dev/cdc-wdm0
APN : everywhere
PIN : (blank)
PAP/CHAP Username : eesecure
PAP/CHAP Password : secure
Authentication Type : PAP

Edited by DanielCoffey67 (Wed 08-Jul-20 21:46:24)

Standard User gary333
(committed) Wed 08-Jul-20 21:55:07
Print Post

Try deleting the username and password and leaving blank. If that doesn’t work try changing APN to consumerbroadband leaving username and password blank.

Edited by gary333 (Wed 08-Jul-20 21:56:26)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to