General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User metalloz
(newbie) Wed 15-Jul-20 06:24:44
Print Post

4G Huawei router with Three - VPN issue

[link to this post]

Hi,
I started a new job this week working from home and also changed address, so I bought a 4G Huawei router with Three. I am getting speeds this morning of 120Mbps but when I connect to the VPN this drops to about 9Mbps and I keep getting disconnected every few minutes from my works VPN.

I spoke to the IT department at work and they didn't even know what a 4g router was and just blamed it on my internet speed (at the time it was 9Mbps).

My phone network is also Three and it has the same problem.

I've tried to trouble shoot online and have disabled the router firewall and also changed the DNS to 8.8.8.8 but this hasn't helped. It is critical I can connect to the VPN otherwise I can't work from home and the office is closed...

Any ideas on what could be wrong? I am really worried.

Thanks

Edited by metalloz (Wed 15-Jul-20 09:16:22)

Standard User dalryc
(member) Wed 15-Jul-20 08:42:34
Print Post

Re: 4G Huawei router with Three - VPN issue

[re: metalloz] [link to this post]

I can no longer use my VPN due Three's adult filter see the VPN connection as a violation. You can the adult filter off but only if you put the SIM in a phone and access the provided URL from the phone.

I've worked from home on a VPN with a 3Mbps line for extended periods.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Jul-20 08:48:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by metalloz:
Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Check you don't have any security filters (e.g. under 18) turned on. You may find that a different network (such as EE, Vodafone or O2) works better for your VPN. Perhaps try a PAYG SIM card from one of the other providers.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User metalloz
(newbie) Wed 15-Jul-20 09:17:22
Print Post

[re: dalryc] [link to this post]

The adult filter is not turned on, so it must be something else.
Standard User dalryc
(member) Wed 15-Jul-20 09:23:37
Print Post

I use works VPN on my works laptop and don't modify the TCP/IP stack from office to VPN working. Might be worthwhile to get them to check the TCP/IP stack settings and the VPN client settings.
Standard User gary333
(committed) Wed 15-Jul-20 13:20:16
Print Post

Are you sure your company have not restricted the bandwidth? Be worth trying in the middle of the night also, as if it's heavy use of the VPN it'll likely be less busy at night.

For example I work for a very large company and they only have a 100mb line for their VPN. This can mean very low speeds. For my company 9mb would be classed as good. Their connection doesn't tend to drop (until the 4 hour limit they have imposed), however it can be very difficult to connect to the VPN when in heavy use going through PIN after pin.

My company used to have some settings / fault finding you could check when using mobile "hotspot". What VPN tool are you using to connect with?
Standard User Benjanyan
(member) Wed 15-Jul-20 14:56:27
Print Post

Hey metalloz,

A speed hit will be sort of normal via a VPN, especially via a 4g network. I'd hope for more than 9mbps but there's a lot variables. I wouldn't expect to see disconnects as often as you describe though.

Do you know what kind of VPN it is or what client you're using?
I'm using OpenVPN and also Cisco Anyconnect without much issue via Smarty (similar to 3) via a Huawei B525.

Also, what sort of package are you using with Three in the router? Is it a general phone SIM or a proper mobile broadband SIM?

It may be something to take up with Three.

Ben
Standard User metalloz
(newbie) Wed 15-Jul-20 15:03:06
Print Post

[re: Benjanyan] [link to this post]

My company uses Pulse VPN on the work laptop and I have a Huawei B535. I actually have avast VPN on my personal laptop and I have no issues with connecting to the internet.

I am on a proper broadband SIM card with unlimited data.

Thanks
Standard User Benjanyan
(member) Wed 15-Jul-20 16:32:54
Print Post

Not familiar with it but I did have a google and quickly came across this: https://community.pulsesecure.net/t5/Pulse-Connect-S...

On Smarty, I find that SSH connections time out fairly quickly in a similar fasion. Perhaps Three don't allow persistent connections to remain open generally...

One last thing I can think of... sort of related to a previous question but I'd like to confirm. Does your external IP address match that reported by the router?

Google "what is my ip" and compare it to WAN IP on the Huawei web interface (probably http://192.168.8.1, Settings, log in, System and Device information). No need to post the IPs, only if they match or not. They hopefully should if you're on a "proper" Three broadband SIM. If not, perhaps an APN tweak is necessary from what I've heard from others on here.

Ben

Edited by Benjanyan (Wed 15-Jul-20 16:34:07)

Standard User andynormancx
(member) Wed 15-Jul-20 17:51:06
Print Post

[re: Benjanyan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Benjanyan:
On Smarty, I find that SSH connections time out fairly quickly in a similar fasion. Perhaps Three don't allow persistent connections to remain open generally...

Three don't generally do that, I've had OpenVPN connections up for several days.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to