General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dasnilpferd
(newbie) Sat 25-Jul-20 08:16:26
Print Post

Why won't Vodafone unlock Gigacube Router?

[link to this post]

I purchased a Gigacube 4/5G router direct from Vodafone over the phone. I was told it would be possible to use the device overseas, but I can see now that's not the case.

OK I thought - I can just ask for it to be unlocked and then buy a cheap SIM with roaming enabled. However, Vodafone have told me twice (without a full explanation) that they won't unlock the device.

As far as I'm aware this is in breach of net neutrality and roaming regulations:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/bulletin...

“The EU Open Internet Access Regulation, among other things, enshrines ISP customers’ fundamental right to access the content and information, to use the applications and services, and to use the terminal equipment of their choice through their internet access service.”

So why is it I'm being told information which contradicts this very clear ruling? Can anyone help?
Standard User Pheasant
(regular) Sat 25-Jul-20 08:53:49
Print Post

Re: Why won't Vodafone unlock Gigacube Router?

[re: dasnilpferd] [link to this post]

My understanding and having use currently of a “branded” Gigacube is that the firmware is specific / customised for use with the Vodafone network

Therefore I doubt it would just “work” with a SIM swap with another providers network as a phone would for example. Furthermore I don't believe that Huawei offer the base hardware modems for independent sale outside of their telco customers for this reason.

This may explain their reluctance to “unlock” the device.

Edited by Pheasant (Sat 25-Jul-20 08:55:09)

Standard User buggerlugs
(member) Sat 25-Jul-20 09:50:18
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Apparently the gigacube is actually a Huawei H112-370 so it should be possible to hunt down a firmware for it. However that in itself won't be enough because you'll also need the configuration file which will enable it to be used with other carriers.

Unfortunately Huawei seem to operate some form of model where they don't provide any support whatsoever for the carrier branded Huawei products, so there's another reason to not use Chinese hardware.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dasnilpferd
(newbie) Sat 25-Jul-20 10:28:01
Print Post

[re: buggerlugs] [link to this post]

Well that sucks. And seems very restrictive. This was a really quite expensive piece of kit. To find it's locked to UK only and a single network is very disappointing
Standard User Pheasant
(regular) Sat 25-Jul-20 10:41:12
Print Post

Yes a Gigacube is definitely a Huawei H112-370. Makes no odds to the OP as it’s effectively a Vodafone brick.

It just *may* be possible to use it on for example continental Vodafone nets - but I’ve not looked, far less tried. As for using it with another non-Voda carrier, well yes forget it.

I think he was sold a kipper if that was the intent.

There’s obviously still an awful lot of ‘Chinese hardware’ out there. The FTTP ONT is made by you guessed it Huawei (as is with a high degree of probability the serving exchange gear) and I just happen to be tapping this on an iPhone, designed in Cali and made in....well for now anywaysmile
Standard User Pheasant
(regular) Sat 25-Jul-20 10:56:40
Print Post

[re: dasnilpferd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dasnilpferd:
Well that sucks. And seems very restrictive. This was a really quite expensive piece of kit. To find it's locked to UK only and a single network is very disappointing

When did you buy it and what sort of plan are you tied into?

I just hopped on a Vodafone web-chat with their sales and asked “ Hi - can I use a GigaCube outside the UK?”

Answer: no only in the UK

If you can prove you were told it would “work” overseas then you may possibly have some grounds for cancellation.
Standard User buggerlugs
(member) Sat 25-Jul-20 19:15:12
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Apparently you can get your unlock code by inputting your routers IMEI into here:

*At your own risk*

https://huaweiunlockcalculator.com/v201-huawei-unloc...

You can then enter this code into your router here:

192.168.8.1/html/simlockrequired.html?index
Standard User Pheasant
(regular) Sat 25-Jul-20 23:47:04
Print Post

Personally I don’t have any need to either unlock mine or use it abroad. It took me all of 30 seconds on a web chat to confirm with VF that the GigaCube cannot be used outside the UK. I’d be quite wary of third parties offering unlock codes.

As I recall VF do not or at least did not offer the GigaCube outside of a contract plan. Therefore technically the router belongs to them until the contract expires, or from a legal standpoint you pay them out early (and not some poss. dodgy website) to unlock it...

Even so there’s no guarantee technically it would work with another 5G network without other firmware and/or net configuration, so it could be an expensive brick you’ve unlocked. 4G *may* be another matter, but it’s pointless to buy into a GigaCube for just 4G

I would recommend to the OP that he/she avails themselves of their consumer rights and cancels the contract. Certainly if it’s within 14 to 30 days of receiving the router, Vodafone should have no quibble with that. Chalk it up to experience.
  Print Thread

Jump to