General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gogothree
(newbie) Fri 31-Jul-20 16:16:13
Print Post

Potential 'fix' for the Three uk latency / stuck pages issue

[link to this post]

I just posted this in reply to a thread I found on here a few weeks back when trying to understand why my three internet was so bad. The below is what I have done to fix in my case and I hope it may trigger solutions for others struggling to get a solid connection out of their Three 4G connection smile

----
I have come back here and registered specifically to try and give some hope and a solution to people who (like myself) have been having really weird 'sticky' internet with Three.

E.g. you'll be browsing fine, then suddenly it just starts to refuse to load pages. Often until you restart but that doesn't always fix it.

Here is what I have done.

Firstly, I got a TP Link Archer Mr6 router. This took my speed from around 12mbs to 40mbs and 4G+. Great I thought, all sorted.

Nope, same issue, but now I can get faster speeds between the issue happening.

Here is where I hit gold though.

I have a Linksys WRT3200ACM sitting about. This happens to be one of the routers that ExpressVPN release their own software for.

I have now put that router between the TP Link Archer and my home wifi. This means that all the traffic on the network now goes in and out of a VPN connection. Three is no longer doing any of the DNS or traffic routing/lookups.

Since I have put this VPN in the middle my internet has been absolutely lightening fast and not got stuck once! On any device.

So... here is a way for you to test if this solution might work for you.

1. Get connected as usual
2. Install Express VPN as a trial on your machine (other VPNs may do the same I expect)
3. See how your internet is on THAT specific machine while connected

If you find that this resolves the issue for long enough, you might then consider putting your own ExpressVPN router VPN in-between three and your home wifi.

Right now I have

Archer
goes into
WRT3200ACM with express vpn firmware installed
goes into
ORBI home wifi to get the signal through the house

Yeah, it's not a cheap setup, but now out in the country I have 50mbs flawless. Very happy.

There are very likely cheaper ways to achieve this but hopefully this triggers some ideas.

Finally, I did try setting up express VPN on the threeUK supplied 4g modem as it has space to do so. At the time I found that broke some things / it wasn't great so I removed those settings in the end. That may be worth exploring as perhaps with another VPN or your specific network setup that will work just fine.

Anyway, I hope this maybe helps someone smile
Standard User onthenet
(member) Fri 31-Jul-20 20:33:20
Print Post

Re: Potential 'fix' for the Three uk latency / stuck pages i

[re: gogothree] [link to this post]

I have a similar setup although I use a Asus AC87U as my house wifi/router and on that I run the Merlin software with a Open VPN client.

The WAN port of the router is connected to the Three B310 which I have in DMZ mode.

I haven't had many issues with web pages not loading but sometimes it does happen and as soon as I switch on the VPN client on the Asus router it all works well.

I use NordVPN but I see Express VPN have also a configuration HERE for the Asus routers.

Three 4G 100/30 Mbps
Standard User buggerlugs
(member) Sat 01-Aug-20 11:35:05
Print Post

The best fix for Three's 9 month web page hanging/ high latency issues would be the following:

1. Three admits publicly it has an issue with its core network.
2. Three fixes it.

It all stemmed from them launching their 5g service in January, before then it worked. Whatever they did then, they can undo.

Expecting customers to go to the trouble of setting up VPN hardware or software to get around their networks problems is just ridiculous. Not that using a VPN has ever improved latency.

Edited by buggerlugs (Sat 01-Aug-20 11:37:07)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gogothree
(newbie) Sat 01-Aug-20 11:48:14
Print Post

[re: buggerlugs] [link to this post]

You are not wrong. But my focus is on helping based on what is in our control in the meantime. I imagine it’s a complex issue for them to solve but here’s hoping they are working on it.
Standard User buggerlugs
(member) Sat 01-Aug-20 13:05:49
Print Post

I know where you're coming from, I just don't think they are. Its not like they don't know about it, but the "pretending it don't happen" and actually addressing a technical issue like this shouldn't take this long to fix, unless you don't have the people in your company able to fix it anymore.
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Sat 01-Aug-20 13:46:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by buggerlugs:
I know where you're coming from, I just don't think they are. Its not like they don't know about it, but the "pretending it don't happen" and actually addressing a technical issue like this shouldn't take this long to fix, unless you don't have the people in your company able to fix it anymore.

Or they have decided at the strategic level that it is more important for their business to get on with 5G than it is to solve the problems about which a small part of their customer base is mithering.
Standard User buggerlugs
(member) Sat 01-Aug-20 17:29:45
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

If they think the Thinkbroadband thread "Is Three�s network struggling at the moment or is it just me? ( 6 pages long)" with 26388 views is just a small part of their customer base mithering then it speaks far greater of the company than its customers IMHO.

Btw, I didn't start that thread.

Edited by buggerlugs (Sat 01-Aug-20 17:30:42)

Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Sat 01-Aug-20 21:57:35
Print Post

If they think the Thinkbroadband thread "Is Three�s network struggling at the moment or is it just me? ( 6 pages long)" with 26388 views is just a small part of their customer base mithering then it speaks far greater of the company than its customers IMHO.

Btw, I didn't start that thread.

I'm not trying to defend or castigate Three; I was just suggesting what might be behind their thinking.

Don't forget that the 26388 count increases by one every time anyone looks at the topic (so I've just increased the count by two by going into the topic twice). Over 14 pages there have certainly been less than 26388 individuals watching the topic. If we put a finger in the air at maybe 5000 individuals who have looked at the topic and consider that Three has a smaller customer base than some of the other network providers then even allowing for the fact that Three customers are more likely to look than customers of other Network Providers you might only be looking at 2000 or 3000 Three customers actively taking an interest and a much smaller number who have actively posted. Not good when anyone takes to a public forum to criticise a business but even if my guesstimates are a good way off I don't think that quoting the 26388 (and rising) is maybe giving a true picture of the situation.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Aug-20 08:50:44
Print Post

Personally just wouldn't use it, most of the time EE is available where Three is so would use that instead,

It is pretty obvious Three are aware of the issue as ordering Home Broadband is now near impossible as its been removed from their website,

A network that is built on the cheap and then oversold cheap isn't worth getting involved with, can't see things getting any better with Huawei issues.

Matt - Just a JitteryPinger

10 years in Technical Customer Service, Construction Trades and Administration - Now I'm a Chef, whats next?
Standard User gogothree
(newbie) Sun 02-Aug-20 08:58:34
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

When EE offer a sensible unlimited package and signal in my area.

Until then.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Aug-20 09:07:34
Print Post

Sensible??

£35 a month seems pretty sensible.

Matt - Just a JitteryPinger

10 years in Technical Customer Service, Construction Trades and Administration - Now I'm a Chef, whats next?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-Aug-20 12:25:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by gogothree:

Three's price for unlimited is probably unsustainable, and could be a reason why many people are posting problems.

Three could easily do what they have done (twice?) before, and cancel plans and force people off them. They are the only UK network whom have done this. They are also, currently, the only network to force/require an upgrade at the end of a min-term period.

Three are behaving very oddly recently.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Sun 02-Aug-20 21:21:41
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:

If a business decides on a strategic policy then cascades the policy down with performance reviews and maybe bonuses hanging on the achievement of targets within that strategic policy you quite often get inappropriate management behaviours to hit the target at the expense of the paying customer.
Standard User buggerlugs
(member) Sun 02-Aug-20 21:29:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:

They are also, currently, the only network to force/require an upgrade at the end of a min-term period.

Force an upgrade at the end of min-term just to stay with them? Sounds like a way of behaving similar to Virgin Media.

If the lacklustre level of performance from their over-subscribed 4G service and none existent customer service isn't enough to put people off even stopping with them, increasing the monthly price to stay with them certainly will.

Who do they expect WILL stay with them exactly?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-Aug-20 21:37:06
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GonePostal:
If a business decides on a strategic policy then cascades the policy down with performance reviews and maybe bonuses hanging on the achievement of targets within that strategic policy you quite often get inappropriate management behaviours to hit the target at the expense of the paying customer.

Some very high ranking people resigned from Three earlier in the year, and commentator think there may be some push from the owners for something. Maybe increased ARPU, or maybe to increase total customer numbers, given Three have the lowest of the 4 UK physical networks.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-Aug-20 21:42:25
Print Post

Force an upgrade at the end of min-term just to stay with them? Sounds like a way of behaving similar to Virgin Media.

If the lacklustre level of performance from their over-subscribed 4G service and none existent customer service isn't enough to put people off even stopping with them, increasing the monthly price to stay with them certainly will.

Who do they expect WILL stay with them exactly?

Those whom like paying rock bottom prices, e.g. a friend of mine is on SIM only 8GB of data for £8 with unlimited talk, text and WiFi calling. None of the others majors compete at this very low price.

All networks go through pain points, O2 has had quite a few, and it seems this year is Three’s turn.

There are reports the Samsung hardware that makes up the bulk of the 4G network has not worked out, not performed, and Three’s plan was to replace with Huawei 4G, so they could add Huawei 5G.

The UK Government’s decision recently has hurt that plan in a big way.

Standard User gogothree
(newbie) Sat 08-Aug-20 12:41:36
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
Sensible??

Can you link me to the EE unlimited mobile broadband deal? I've looked monthly as I would LOVE to switch, but I never see an unlimited plan.
Standard User Highland76
(member) Sat 08-Aug-20 12:58:06
Print Post

Sensible??

Can you link me to the EE unlimited mobile broadband deal? I've looked monthly as I would LOVE to switch, but I never see an unlimited plan.

The £35 unlimited plan appears under the 'phone sims' section. However there's nothing stopping you putting the sim in a router and purely using it for data:

https://shop.ee.co.uk/sim-only/pay-monthly-phones

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User gogothree
(newbie) Sat 08-Aug-20 13:08:08
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Highland76:
Sensible??

The £35 unlimited plan appears under the 'phone sims' section. However there's nothing stopping you putting the sim in a router and purely using it for data:

https://shop.ee.co.uk/sim-only/pay-monthly-phones

Oh nice! Thank you for taking the time to share.

I always thought they detected this kind of use. I’ll grab a sim today then.
Standard User Highland76
(member) Sat 08-Aug-20 13:16:12
Print Post

Networks can no longer discriminate on how you use your data but of course there will still be some exceptions in the t&cs, such as not using the data in a business environment where you could potentially use 100’s of TBs a month in 5G data - that really would be taking the pee.

BT Business FTTP 330/50 -- Netgear RAX200
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 08-Aug-20 13:26:20
Print Post

Oh nice! Thank you for taking the time to share.

I always thought they detected this kind of use. I’ll grab a sim today then.
three was the network that limited, and Ofcom forced them to change their direction. The other networks never had an issue, but unlimited is relatively new.

Standard User gogothree
(newbie) Sat 08-Aug-20 14:17:48
Print Post

I won't be switching to EE after all based on the tests I just did.

Three download: 30-40mbps
EE download: 2-8mpps

Weirdly, three got 4pm UPLOAD and EE got 25mb UPLOAD.

So for now, I think I'll be sticking with three as it is dramatically faster. As long as I push the traffic through a VPN I don't get the lag. That's the best mix right now.

But I will test EE speeds regularly with my EE phone sim that I have and switch if their infrastructure / speed around here changes.
Standard User vilbs
(newbie) Tue 18-Aug-20 11:55:44
Print Post

The issue here if I understand it correctly is that you are limited to a maximum of 12 devices being connected to stop people using it as home broadband solution.

Would a router level VPN mask the number of devices connected?
Standard User buggerlugs
(member) Tue 18-Aug-20 13:03:34
Print Post

[re: vilbs] [link to this post]

I've only got 5 things connected. PC cabled, 2 mobiles, xbox and kodi box. I was under the impression three Home-fi is supposed to be a home broadband solution.

Edited by buggerlugs (Tue 18-Aug-20 13:04:44)

Standard User andynormancx
(member) Tue 18-Aug-20 13:03:44
Print Post

[re: vilbs] [link to this post]

Three have no real idea how many devices are connected to your internal network. You don't need a VPN to mask anything.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Aug-20 17:35:08
Print Post

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by andynormancx:
Three have no real idea how many devices are connected to your internal network.
Some ISPs (e.g. Sky, and Vodafone) log on to the router and look at how many devices are on the DHCP.

It is pretty silly, as you can have 1 person and 30 devices, and 4 people and 3 devices. Its technically meaningless.

Standard User andynormancx
(member) Tue 18-Aug-20 22:12:14
Print Post

We’re talking here about using a Three phone SIM in your own router.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Aug-20 08:07:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by andynormancx:
We’re talking here about using a Three phone SIM in your own router.
I thought one was using a Three provided router? (Home-Fi). If not, then I've got the wrong thread!

Standard User buggerlugs
(member) Wed 19-Aug-20 11:08:23
Print Post

Its the same thing. The only difference is they use a different APN by default.
Standard User richi
(member) Tue 08-Sep-20 16:30:12
Print Post

Quick pointer to this thread, where I describe how it's fixed for me: Three is finally working properly OMFG.

70/30 Three unlimited SIMO, replacing 3 km ADSL line.
Previously: BT ISDN, Nildram, Plusnet, 186k, EFH, Be*, Plusnet (again), Pulse8, Sky, Plusnet Business, TalkTalk Retail.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to