General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User richi
(member) Thu 10-Sep-20 11:59:02
Print Post

Re: Three is finally working properly OMFG.

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
(I'm a fan of DNS over TLS, and dislike DNS over HTTPS, as DNS should be handled by the operating system or local network hardware, not the application layer).
Right on, brother. I use Simple DNSCrypt as a UI to dnscrypt-proxy, with DoH disabled.

70/30 Three unlimited SIMO, replacing 3 km ADSL line.
Previously: BT ISDN, Nildram, Plusnet, 186k, EFH, Be*, Plusnet (again), Pulse8, Sky, Plusnet Business, TalkTalk Retail.
Standard User Appy
(learned) Fri 11-Sep-20 13:24:56
Print Post

[re: richi] [link to this post]

I've just phoned Three to un-cancel my new 5G broadband & so far, testing seems good. I've not been able to replicate the horrible browsing experience that I was seeing the other day. I'll continue to test and update here in a few days.
Standard User richi
(member) Fri 11-Sep-20 17:52:05
Print Post

[re: Appy] [link to this post]

Great news. Are you able to configure your router's MTU?

Previously: BT ISDN, Nildram, Plusnet, 186k, EFH, Be*, Plusnet (again), Pulse8, Sky, Plusnet Business, TalkTalk Retail.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Appy
(learned) Fri 11-Sep-20 19:45:34
Print Post

Yes, I set that to 1400. I'll experiment over the weekend with Wireshark to see what higher MTU's do.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 12-Sep-20 00:08:09
Print Post

[re: Appy] [link to this post]

My B311 is still on 1500, and I've had the problem for weeks. It has cleared up for me as well, just before I was going to try 1400.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.
Standard User richi
(member) Sat 12-Sep-20 09:50:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
My B311 is still on 1500, and I've had the problem for weeks. It has cleared up for me as well, just before I was going to try 1400.
Great news.

To be clear: I'm not saying the problem clears up by changing the router's MTU. It's that the network's true MTU changed at the same time as the problem was fixed. So for best results, set your router to that.

Detail: Previously, the default MTU of 1440 didn't cause frags on a ping test (ping -f -l 1412 richi.uk), and neither did 1500 (-l 1472). Now the maximum ping payload size is 1372, meaning the MTU is 1400.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 12-Sep-20 10:32:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by richi:
To be clear: I'm not saying the problem clears up by changing the router's MTU. It's that the network's true MTU changed at the same time as the problem was fixed. So for best results, set your router to that.

Interesting, the advice on DSLreports and other sites for over 10 years has always said to never change the router, always change the PC. Otherwise you just cause the router more work, as it has to buffer packets, split them into the smaller size, and retransmit. Many home routers are just not up to this task, so you lose speed.

That advice was before the Windows XP era, when Path MTU Discovery became the norm, with automatic adjusting MTU for each connection.

We used to have lots of tools for PCs to change MTU, but now the majority of home usage is from streaming media on TV boxes, tablets, and mobile phones, there is no way to change the MTU on these devices. Path MTU is doing its job.

Why change the router?

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 12-Sep-20 10:41:20
Print Post

The B311 default is 1500, and if you go to change it you get a strong warning you should only do so if really necessary.

From what has gone on, I think it likely that a rogue MTU got into the core network somewhere, possibly in multiple places, and it took a while to find and sort it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Standard User andynormancx
(member) Sat 12-Sep-20 12:17:14
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
streaming media on TV boxes

Ironically streaming is one area that the Three network problems doesn't really impact. Because when you're streaming you aren't typically repeatedly starting lots of TCP/TLS sessions you don't get the same stalls you do when just browsing the web.

Through all my issues with Three streaming just kept working ok.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 12-Sep-20 15:23:28
Print Post

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

Not for me it didn't.

========================
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to