General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | [13] | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User portunus
(newbie) Sat 10-Oct-20 10:46:39
Print Post

Re: Three dongle - 3g connects 4g doesn't

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Just had text from Three informing that as a loyal customer I can have the this for £17/month/24 month contract.
Nice but still not sold on this. I must say the performance on my basic 4g Samsung A21s is very good.
I like ti use a VPN but cant see this working with this.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Oct-20 11:07:17
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
New dongle has arrived and look at the upload!
https://www.speedtest.net/result/10226373902

Download is a bit low, but upload is working well. Given they seem to have stopped making USB dongles at this level (LTE category 4), and that Huawei are constrained from using any US made technology, I don't think there will be anything newer than this made.

LTE category 4 is often quoted in terms of top speeds which is simplistic, and not really relevant. The higher the category device (e.g. Cat 6, Cat 12, Cat 16) the more efficient it is at using the radio waves between itself and the mast.

Useful info here:
https://www.semiaccurate.com/2017/11/14/qualcomm-sho...

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 10-Oct-20 12:30:18
Print Post

Certainly an improvement smile. Maybe you just hit a bad time for the download part.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Oct-20 14:10:45
Print Post

Stable too with new driver which the dongle downloaded.

Ping statistics for 192.168.8.1:
Packets: Sent = 14082, Received = 14082, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 30ms, Average = 23ms

and new UI.

https://ibb.co/K6fLN0b

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 10-Oct-20 14:21:26
Print Post

Good smile.

Re the interface, that's the same as my B311. Probably got the same electronics and OS. Just a different packaging of power supply and antenna(e).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Oct-20 17:06:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Re the interface, that's the same as my B311. Probably got the same electronics and OS. Just a different packaging of power supply and antenna(e).

And a vastly different interface, USB rather than WiFi. USB is horrendously difficult to code for.

In the USB world the "OS" you talk about is actually in the driver running on the computer, rather than in the dongle. The dongle itself contains the radio electronics & SIM card interface, and the rest of the work is handed over to software on the PC.

This dongle claims to have WiFi which is fascinating, does that actually work? I have seen Win10 successfully create a WiFi hotspot from an ethernet internet connection, that my phone could then connect to. (That is Win10 built in functionality)

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Oct-20 18:46:20
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:

And a vastly different interface, USB rather than WiFi. USB is horrendously difficult to code for.

In the USB world the "OS" you talk about is actually in the driver running on the computer, rather than in the dongle. The dongle itself contains the radio electronics & SIM card interface, and the rest of the work is handed over to software on the PC.

This dongle claims to have WiFi which is fascinating, does that actually work? I have seen Win10 successfully create a WiFi hotspot from an ethernet internet connection, that my phone could then connect to. (That is Win10 built in functionality)

No it doesn't have wifi its just a plain modem. The E8372 has wifi.

3 Test

https://www.speedtest.net/result/10228430274

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Oct-20 18:51:06
Print Post

No it doesn't have wifi its just a plain modem. The E8372 has wifi.

Ah! thats difference thanks.

If you remember the days of US Robotics, and Hayes external modems for dial up, that connected to your computer via an RS232 ("serial") link, these USB dongles are a bit different. They are "host controlled modems" - sometimes used on laptops, and with ISA/PCI cards inside desktop computers. The electronics is not usable without the software driver running which is doing a lot of the work.

not such a problem in 2020 when we have Core i3/i5/i7 and Ryzen, but it was an issue in the 386 and 486 days. When the computer was busy maxed out doing processing, these modems would often drop the phone line and cut off the connection...!

That speed isn't great, but it could be what you get from Three in your area.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Oct-20 19:00:45
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

The cheap chinese dongle has a wifi hotspot just needs USB power and a SIM and you can create a hotspot but the wifi is only n and connects at 72mbps.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Oct-20 19:07:01
Print Post

The cheap chinese dongle has a wifi hotspot just needs USB power and a SIM and you can create a hotspot but the wifi is only n and connects at 72mbps.
That's clever, but at 72 mpbs that means a single antenna on the 2.4 GHz band - not surprising given its size.

I have a pocket router from (GL.iNet AR750) which can optionally take a USB dongle and create a WiFi network; it has a few more features, but can run from a 5v USB supply. Sometimes useful for the road warrior.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GL-iNet-GL-AR750-300Mbps-pr...

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | [13] | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to