General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | [14] | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Oct-20 19:11:47
Print Post

Re: Three dongle - 3g connects 4g doesn't

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

That's not a bad price for that kit too. I will try some more tests off peak and see what sort of speeds are available.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 10-Oct-20 19:23:14
Print Post

smile

(Edit: Ah! I see Tim has just clarified its an 8332. I was looking at the 8372.)

Tim and I were talking about the GUI, as shown in his link, except he dropped the "G" and I dropped the "I" LOL. It's called evolving Essex-speak.

AIUI it can connect to a computer port or a router USB "WAN-capable" socket. Acting as either a modem for the router or computer, or modem/router standalone. Depending on how the user sets it up. That GUI, as I said, is modem/router stuff.

Re the WiFi, presumably it's going to work like a mobile phone without the phone parts and associated gubbins such as app stores. My phone happily works as a hotspot when on Mobile Data only, and preserves all its functions and its own internet connection.

I can even USB-tether it to my laptop to keep it charged and turn on the phone's hotspot for other devices to use at the same time.

Presumably yours also does.

Edit: Ah! I see Tim has just clarified its an 8332. I was looking at the 8372.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 10-Oct-20 19:26:02)

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Oct-20 21:47:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
smile

(Edit: Ah! I see Tim has just clarified its an 8332. I was looking at the 8372.)

Tim and I were talking about the GUI, as shown in his link, except he dropped the "G" and I dropped the "I" LOL. It's called evolving Essex-speak.

AIUI it can connect to a computer port or a router USB "WAN-capable" socket. Acting as either a modem for the router or computer, or modem/router standalone. Depending on how the user sets it up. That GUI, as I said, is modem/router stuff.

Re the WiFi, presumably it's going to work like a mobile phone without the phone parts and associated gubbins such as app stores. My phone happily works as a hotspot when on Mobile Data only, and preserves all its functions and its own internet connection.

I can even USB-tether it to my laptop to keep it charged and turn on the phone's hotspot for other devices to use at the same time.

Presumably yours also does.

Edit: Ah! I see Tim has just clarified its an 8332. I was looking at the 8372.

It's an E3372.

Works fine on my router in failover mode but couldnt get load balance mode to work.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 10-Oct-20 21:51:58
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
It's an E3372.
Oops! blush
Works fine on my router in failover mode but couldnt get load balance mode to work.
Your turn wink.
"Oops!"

smile

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 10-Oct-20 21:59:19
Print Post

Ummm frown

*The preceding specifications are theoretical values based on product design. Some features and specifications may vary across markets. To provide accurate product information, specifications, and features, HUAWEI may make real-time adjustments to the preceding specifications, so that they match the product performance, specifications, indexes, and components of the actual product. Product information is subject to such changes and adjustments without notice.
In other words, roughly what came out of the parts bin that was near enough to the spec. Like some cheap computers used to be years ago, and maybe still are.

Basically, quality control is low, and everything can vary by manufacturing plant location.

========================
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Oct-20 22:02:16
Print Post

To me as an IT professional, I will interchange GUI and UI and just "interface" without noticing smile

The dongles only work on non PC devices (e.g. routers) that are specifically developed to host the dongle. There are open source components for this, originally for Linux, that are adapted and used on routers such as the Asus, Netgear, and other makes.

Dramatically simpler, as your mobile phone is a computer running a full OS handling various devices, disk storage, files, permissions, etc.

This is a traditional "embedded device" which has just enough software to handle the cellular side, and create a WiFi hotspot. Embedded devices will have only a few tens of thousands of lines of code, and primarily use dedicated hardware for most functions.

Yes, modern mobile OS have sufficient general purpose application processors (e.g. the Qualcomm Snapdragon in your OnePlus) that can do this. Exactly the same as an Intel or AMD in a PC/Laptop. This is not an embedded device level, this is generic software and a complex operating system of hundreds of thousands of lines of code.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Oct-20 22:03:39
Print Post

Basically, quality control is low, and everything can vary by manufacturing plant location.
Not necessarily.

More likely this is #include <disclaimer> which means if they make a change and forget to update the documentation, you can't sue.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Oct-20 22:10:52
Print Post

Normal Speedtest

https://www.speedtest.net/result/10229118079

Load Balance with Uno and EE set to 1:1 ratio

https://www.speedtest.net/result/10229128449

Not a lot of difference.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Oct-20 22:36:29
Print Post

https://www.speedtest.net/result/10229194837

Dongle connected to PC on its own.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Oct-20 01:28:22
Print Post

This is interesting. It's called Huwimanage and may work with the Huawei router.

https://ibb.co/ZSkm1sq

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | [14] | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to