General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | [16] | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Oct-20 15:04:33
Print Post

Re: Three dongle - 3g connects 4g doesn't

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
Yes it is 30 day 3gb.
https://www.speedtest.net/result/10242070820
Looks like this is the best speed I will get.

smile

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 13-Oct-20 20:02:46
Print Post

Strange, the consistent imbalance the wrong way between the speeds. Are you sure you don't keep plugging these dongles in upside down?

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

More sensibly, how many different places have you tried it? Even something as simple as having my phone tethering through USB one side of my laptop rather than the other, shielding its antennae from the mast I realised, made a big difference. (Same effect with the laptop turned 180 degrees).

The whole question of where to pick up mobile masts in a house is complex, as we can see in many threads.

Having sorted which side to have the phone, I could just reach the window ledge with it plugged in and that was better.

Better still was in the same place on the windowsill with power from a mains socket nearby, and tethering to its hotspot.

Best! Was using its own power, on the table a foot or so the other side of the laptop from me and 4-5 feet away from the window 🤔.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Oct-20 20:13:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The whole question of where to pick up mobile masts in a house is complex, as we can see in many threads.

Have a search around about radio multi path and you will see why there are a lot of antennas on modern devices which the radio switches between. Unfortunately the dongles are not designed for this, and equally don't have the electronics, so an external antenna would not help.

When I used to travel to north scotland, using a dongle like these, I travelled with a 3m USB extension cable, and used to hang the dongle on the window handle.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Oct-20 20:54:04
Print Post

It's strange. 20 down 40 up. I suppose testing should continue on my laptop on battery and decide where best signal is. At present it is plugged into my desktop monitor as that seems to be the best postion signal wise looking at the Huawei GUI meter which is right next to my router where it original was designed for in failover mode.

I have posed the 20/40 question to EE in a network report and await any response whether it be everything is ok.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Oct-20 21:40:53
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

https://www.speedtest.net/result/10244260277

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/16026215078...

Speedtests on laptop

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 13-Oct-20 23:27:16
Print Post

I agree. I was talking in the light of both my tethering experience in the last 22 months with a Huawei P10 Lite and more recently a OnePlus 8 Pro, to a pretty powerful laptop on W10, and still needing to carry out several location tests with my Huawei B311 when I installed it some time last year to provide 24/7 cloud access for security cameras.

That of course making the tethering function of the phones mostly redundant. Tethering only used when I want the (expected) far better speed the phone(s) provide than the B311.

Accepting the B311 has now been ditched by Three, that is definitely very reliant on location and horizontal rotation. Just as the home LAN wifi was, maybe still is, on the cheaper landline routers.

Complicated by the OnePlus being able to detect masts at the front and back of the house using Network Cell Info Lite which simultaneously shows two live sets of stats on the same screen, those sometimes showing the same channel and mast, and sometimes one or other or both of those changing.

Right now, a few minutes ago when I started this post and loaded the app, it was showing me connected on on band 3, the next chosen signal on Band 1. When I started this paragraph both were on Band 3 but now the "standby" one is on 1. Oops, changed again! Both again on 3. No movement here of anything except my fingers on the keyboard and a slight turn of the head to look at the stationary phone.

If I test upstairs in bed, the phone when held above and to the left of me will get two band 3s, move it to the right and lower it to not much above the duvet, swivel it about a bit, and I can to some extent control the subsidiary mast/signal selection and channel.

Edit: Changing the position and orientation of the phone after posting, I get really significant changes to the signal strength graphics

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 13-Oct-20 23:32:05)

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Oct-20 23:53:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:

Have a search around about radio multi path and you will see why there are a lot of antennas on modern devices which the radio switches between. Unfortunately the dongles are not designed for this, and equally don't have the electronics, so an external antenna would not help.

When I used to travel to north scotland, using a dongle like these, I travelled with a 3m USB extension cable, and used to hang the dongle on the window handle.

Think I will order a 3m cable.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 14-Oct-20 00:37:08
Print Post

Can we have a CCTV feed of you dancing around waving your dongle in the air?

Edit: Please don't say "Yep"!

========================

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 14-Oct-20 00:37:57)

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Oct-20 01:27:31
Print Post

I have two external aerials to come yet. Imagine them hanging at the window on the dongle. tongue

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Oct-20 08:01:33
Print Post

Right now, a few minutes ago when I started this post and loaded the app, it was showing me connected on on band 3, the next chosen signal on Band 1. When I started this paragraph both were on Band 3 but now the "standby" one is on 1. Oops, changed again! Both again on 3. No movement here of anything except my fingers on the keyboard and a slight turn of the head to look at the stationary phone.

Thats because the phone is connected to both but majority of Android "status" apps are confused by how this works, and flip between one and the other. Also downlink CA is very normal, but uplink CA is rare. On Qualcomm hardware devices (as the One Plus range are) Cellmapper is fairly reliable, but if you use the summary "car mode" screen, it only shows one band at a time.

Its a similar problem to my parents phones showing 1 or 2 bars signal, which you would think is poor. In fact they have good reception on three bands, (B20, B3, B7) and it is the highest frequency that has the lowest strength that is being used to show the signal bars. Confusing everyone.

Cellular is incredibly complicated, and I've learnt enough to see how complex it it :-/

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | [16] | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to