General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Sep-20 07:54:52
Print Post

Re: Three dongle - 3g connects 4g doesn't

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Got any recommendations? I dont want another router, I have routers coming out my ears. Also a dongle can be fitted to an Asus router in failover or load balance mode which might see me through until 5g is available and an Unlimited three sim.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Sep-20 08:24:59
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
Got any recommendations? I dont want another router, I have routers coming out my ears. Also a dongle can be fitted to an Asus router in failover or load balance mode which might see me through until 5g is available and an Unlimited three sim.

Understand on the routers! I have an Asus which in theory supports connection from a dongle, or android phone (I know it didn't work with my iPhone).

Sorry, I can't find a USB stick that I would buy. There are pocket-WiFi units around, but it is unclear from ebay what their specifications are. Three themselves sell the Huawei E5783B-230 but only on contracts, not PAYG. (they used to!).

Might be worth calling Three and see if they have any PAYG USB sticks, or if you have a Three store, they might have some old stock left.

The networks no longer sell them, because of the changes in technology over 3 years, never mind 4 or 5. Mobile networks move VERY fast in technology change since 4G launched, and that is before 5G.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Sep-20 10:45:41
Print Post

I got the dongle working in 3g mode on the Asus AC68U on its own with the WAN cable unplugged got about 14mbps on a speed test. Mind you I am using the latest Beta firmware for the Asus as seen on the SNB forums.

I have put my sim in my windows phone so I can call three free. Just as well been on the phone to Technical Support for an hour to see if they can shed any light on it.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 23-Sep-20 11:15:40
Print Post

18 months ago my phone SIM when it was in a Huawei P10 Lite worked fine on 4G with the phone plugged into the USB port of my ASUS RT-N66U, with the bog standard ASUS firmware.

That was a proof of concept setup to check speeds but impractical compared to simply using the phone as a hotspot.

Nowadays I have that SIM in my new phone and the original (not brilliant) Three Huawei B311 router + SIM contract as well.

All Three SIMs these days are 5G capable. Just need the area and 5G capable kit.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Sep-20 11:16:23
Print Post

It's unbranded, I suspect the bands on the spec sheet you are reading are not correct. It's common with these sorts of products to get something totally different to what is advertised. You see this all the time with budget technology, SSDs, SD cards that quote stupid memory such as 256gb the device starts to overwrite data when you hit 16GB. Essentially it's not what it says on the spec sheet etc etc... I've done a few teardowns and the spec sheets are just plain wrong.

It could also be down to the device not supporting all of network 3 bands.

I would advise getting a reputable brand, which supports all bands, then you can know for sure if the issue is network or not. You can also return if it's sold by amazon etc, assuming it does not help.

Worth noting, these ebay products which do not meet the European electrical standards, cause fires. We have a 9 bedroom house burnt to the ground due to an iPhone cable from ebay, setting fire to a bed whilst someone slept in it, just down the road. Be careful what you buy on ebay if it ain't branded and reputable.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 23-Sep-20 11:21:28
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Also he needs to watch out for "brand" counterfeits. If it is stupidly cheap, it's not real. The supplier needs to be checkable.

On Amazon the prices seem to be £35-£45 or so when I had a quick look last night.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 23-Sep-20 11:23:06)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Sep-20 12:41:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
On Amazon the prices seem to be £35-£45 or so when I had a quick look last night.

That makes sense for a Huawei type device. There are old Vodafone K150's but I suspect they are locked to the Vodafone network, I have one here in a cupboard. For £60 to £80 there are Netgear Aircard devices, which are very much superior.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Sep-20 13:31:26
Print Post

Well I have returned the above dongle for refund and have a second hand Huawei E3372 on its way to try.

Spent an hour on the phone to three technical support and they said any dongle should work. So we will see.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 23-Sep-20 15:07:44
Print Post

Any unbroken tyre pressure gauge will work. Whether the results are useful/accurate is a different matter.

========================
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Sep-20 16:14:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by Banger:
Well I have returned the above dongle for refund and have a second hand Huawei E3372 on its way to try.
That looks a lot better, it supports B20 (800), B7 (2600), B3 (1800), and 900 which doesn't apply to Three (or EE) in the UK.

Spent an hour on the phone to three technical support and they said any dongle should work. So we will see.
Yes, they state they don't deliberately block anything, it just needs to technically be compatible.

But customer services / front door technical are usually the last to know about network things. (Back room technical are not connected to front door technical!).

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to