General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 26-Sep-20 11:09:02
Print Post

Re: Three dongle - 3g connects 4g doesn't

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Seeing as their old leaflets with PAYG "Pay Monthly or Pay As You Go. Our SIMs are 5G Ready at no extra cost, and you can get Unlimited data for your endless streaming joy. Never again will your playlist stop before getting to Taytay", I don't think 4G can be blocked. 😋

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
To argue with mindless bigots is foolish.
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Sat 26-Sep-20 16:02:27
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by Banger:
I wonder if three have blocked the PAYG sims from 4g or it is the dongle itself.
I have about 4 Three PAYG SIMs of various ages, some quite old, as they don't seem to cut them off for no use. They ALL have worked on 4G (LTE) connections in various devices, Motorola Moto E (2nd edition), Google Pixel, OnePlus 7 Pro, OnePlus Nord, iPhone SE, iPhone 8, iPhone XS.

One of them even shows 5G where we have one activated mast (in an industrial estate) on the Nord.

eBay is a nightmare for electronics.

I got a 3 PAYG 321 sim cut off after 180 days of no use. Took quite some effort to get my number back but they did at least pull through. Lost the credit though.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Sep-20 19:08:19
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gary333:
I got a 3 PAYG 321 sim cut off after 180 days of no use. Took quite some effort to get my number back but they did at least pull through. Lost the credit though.

Hmm, maybe I've just managed to top up enough to keep it going. I don't use them for voice so the number is unimportant. I've had EE SIMs time out, and O2 SIMs, but not Three. Perhaps this one will, as I'm less interested in Three now my friends have moved to Vodafone.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gary333
(experienced) Sun 27-Sep-20 09:44:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by gary333:

Hmm, maybe I've just managed to top up enough to keep it going. I don't use them for voice so the number is unimportant. I've had EE SIMs time out, and O2 SIMs, but not Three. Perhaps this one will, as I'm less interested in Three now my friends have moved to Vodafone.

As long as either a text, call or kb of data is sent in a 180 block they dont block it. Now i send a text to myself every 3 months just to be safe.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Sep-20 18:47:57
Print Post

Well the Huawei dongle has arrived and it doesn't work either. Says no service. I do a manual search for networks it just says failed.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Sep-20 20:18:20
Print Post

Well the Huawei dongle has arrived and it doesn't work either. Says no service. I do a manual search for networks it just says failed.

Something odd going on. Does your SIM work in a mobile handset?

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Sep-20 20:25:16
Print Post

Yes SIM works in a phone and seller says she was using it with 3 and Voda. I have ordered a Voda PAYG sim and giffgaff sim. It doesn't even drop back to 3g. Three coverage checker says good 4g coverage indoor and outdoor at my location.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Sep-20 20:29:49
Print Post

Yes SIM works in a phone and seller says she was using it with 3 and Voda. I have ordered a Voda PAYG sim and giffgaff sim. It doesn't even drop back to 3g.

If the seller was using with Voda then it will need setting up with the Three APN before it will connect to anything.

APN = three.co.uk

Three coverage checker says good 4g coverage indoor and outdoor at my location.
If it works in your phone in the same room, then the coverage checker is okay. If you didn't have the phone to test, I would query it.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Sep-20 20:32:38
Print Post

Yes SIM works in a phone and seller says she was using it with 3 and Voda. I have ordered a Voda PAYG sim and giffgaff sim. It doesn't even drop back to 3g.

If the seller was using with Voda then it will need setting up with the Three APN before it will connect to anything.

APN = three.co.uk

Three coverage checker says good 4g coverage indoor and outdoor at my location.
If it works in your phone in the same room, then the coverage checker is okay. If you didn't have the phone to test, I would query it.

APN was already set up and giffgaff APN but the dongle selected 3 as soon as I plugged it in. Phone is only 3g its a windows phone.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Sep-20 21:39:03
Print Post

APN was already set up and giffgaff APN but the dongle selected 3 as soon as I plugged it in. Phone is only 3g its a windows phone.

Not sure I understand your post, but if set to the giffgaff APN then it won't work on Three. As a data device, the dongle won't connect if the APN is not right. Unlike a phone which will make phone calls only and show the network name / signal.

If you get a 3G signal from Three, that is transmitted on Band 1 (2100 Mhz).
Any 4G signal from Three is likely on Band 3 (1800 Mhz) or Band 20 (800 Mhz) or Band 1 (2100 Mhz), where Band 3 has been enabled around the country on the most transmitters (masts).

So the fact your ancient Windows Phone is showing a 3G signal, and the coverage map says 4G is available, means your dongle should at LEAST connect to 3G, and LIKELY show 4G.

On most Huawei devices the light on the dongle changes colour, 3G is a blue, and 4G is a sort of purple-ish colour. (Green I think is 2G).

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to