General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Sat 17-Oct-20 17:21:48
Print Post

Re: Nighthawk R7100LG According to AAISP wont do VPN

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

First of all make sure you have an internet connection on the Netgear using the EE sim - it should ‘auto-sense’ this using any mobile data sim. Do a hard reset if necessary by holding the reset button on back of the router for approx 10 secs.

Once the Netgear is online then set up a L2TP (or ‘VPN’) connection in the router using the A&A supplied login details. read pages 28,29 & 30 of the online user manual as I suggested earlier on how to do this.

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-20 00:04:24
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

Many Thanks Highland i will have a go mate for sure.

Any reason why i have to do a hard reset, and are these functions at the place i suggested ?

I shall read the pages as you suggested, sorry i did not get around to that .

Cheers.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-20 00:18:17
Print Post

I have taken a look at the login page 28 as you suggested but noticed this is for a Nighthawk AC1900,is this the same router that i listed as i can not see this login page anywhere in my router settings, unless i see this once i have done a hard reset as you suggested.

Im a little confused as i have a couple of EE login details that i use to connect, once i put in the Andrews and arnold details if and when i ever see the screen on page 28 will it still connect and work.

I may go back to AAISP next week with this new information so they can help me as i think it will be way easier to be honest.

As long as i have not got to go and get the supplied EE equipment out as i dont want to really go through that into my netgear to achieve what i want.

I also noticed in the feedback regarding my post that its not exactly a VPN I'm using apparently so someone said, well thats what AAISP sold me as far as I'm concerned.

Its obviously not that easy as the technical guys at AAISP could not find a way of doing it so what chance have i got.

Thanks for the help though much appreciated, just wish it was as easy as you make out.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-20 00:23:06
Print Post

I explained the difference; AAISP don’t sell a VPN so from a security standpoint your data is not encrypted. However for you it is what you need.

I’m not sure highland has appreciated your router has built in LTE and you want a “one box” solution. If you have the EE router you can follow his suggestion IF your Netgear supports Ethernet WAN. I haven’t had a chance to look at manuals.

So far AAISP tech support are ahead of this forum. If you have the EE box, call them with that info, they might be able to help.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-20 10:06:20
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

If it has LTE one box solution then there is no need to use the EE box provided which is very limited to what that can actually do, besides like i have also explained the Netgear has a micro sim and the EE box uses a Nano sim ,so a phone call to EE is required for a replacement sim card and its not what i want to be honest.

Its already like spaghetti junction with all the devices and cables around the place and a 2 router configuration is not what i want and like you said i should not really need to go down this route.

I know for certain that using just the EE box everything is strict Nat,when setting up the netgear at least i get type 2 on the playstation 4 even though this seems to be causing some issues with disconnection.

I also don't see he same settings as explained on page 28 on my router.
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Sun 18-Oct-20 11:02:05
Print Post

That link I posted to the user manual is definitely for the R7100LG. The AC1900 bit is just the wifi speeds specification (combined wifi speeds)

I'm well aware that this is a standard router with LTE built-in, you should try to see first if you can get L2TP working over the router's own LTE connection - it may work or it may not. But if it does, its a lot simpler than having a 2 box solution.

Did you follow the steps below? At step 6 you need to select L2TP.

Specify an Internet Connection That Uses a Login
To view or change the basic Internet setup:
1. Launch a web browser from a WiFi-enabled computer or mobile device that is connected to the network.
2. Enter http://www.routerlogin.net.
A login window opens.
3. Enter the modem router user name and password.
The user name is admin. The default password is password. The user name and password are
case-sensitive.
4. Select Internet.
5. For the Does your Internet connection require a login? setting, select the Yes radio button.
6. From the Internet Service Provider menu, select the encapsulation method: PPPoE, L2TP, or PPTP.
7. In the Login field, enter the login name that your ISP gave you.
This login name is often an email address.
8. In the Password field, type the password that you use to log in to your Internet service.
9. If your ISP requires a service name, type it in the Service Name (if Required) field.
10. From the Connection Mode menu, select Always On, Dial on Demand, or Manually Connect.
11. To change the number of minutes until the Internet login times out, in the Idle Timeout (In minutes)
field, type the number of minutes.
This is how long the modem router keeps the Internet connection active when no one on the network
is using the Internet connection. A value of 0 (zero) means never log out.
12. Select an Internet IP Address radio button:
• Get Dynamically from ISP.Your ISP uses DHCP to assign your IP address.Your ISP automatically
assigns these addresses.
• Use Static IP Address. Enter the IP address, IP subnet mask, and the gateway IP address that
your ISP assigned. The gateway is the ISP modem router to which your modem router connects.
13. Select a Domain Name Server (DNS) Address radio button:
• Get Automatically from ISP.Your ISP uses DHCP to assign your DNS servers.Your ISP
automatically assigns this address.
• Use These DNS Servers. If you know that your ISP requires specific servers, select this option.
Enter the IP address of your ISP’s primary DNS server. If a secondary DNS server address is
available, enter it also.
Specify Your Internet Settings
14. Select a Router MAC Address radio button:
• Use Default Address. Use the default MAC address.
• Use Computer MAC Address. The modem router captures and uses the MAC address of the
computer that you are now using.You must use the one computer that the ISP allows.
• Use This MAC Address. Enter the MAC address that you want to use.
15. Click the Apply button.
Your settings are saved.
16. Click the Test button to test your Internet connection.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-20 12:42:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by Highland76:
it may work or it may not.
My expectation is it cannot as the designers would assume this setting is for logging on the cellular ISP, which in the UK we don't use these. Worth a try, but I'm not optimistic smile

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-20 12:44:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by time2die:
I know for certain that using just the EE box everything is strict Nat,when setting up the netgear at least i get type 2 on the playstation 4 even though this seems to be causing some issues with disconnection.
Agreed, using the EE box on its own does not help.

Standard User Highland76
(committed) Sun 18-Oct-20 13:00:58
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
it may work or it may not.
My expectation is it cannot as the designers would assume this setting is for logging on the cellular ISP, which in the UK we don't use these. Worth a try, but I'm not optimistic smile

No, on that router there’s a separate settings section for mobile broadband data which is why I think there’s a good chance L2TP *might* work over the built in LTE radio.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-20 13:40:57
Print Post

No, on that router there’s a separate settings section for mobile broadband data which is why I think there’s a good chance L2TP *might* work over the built in LTE radio.
It is unclear from the manual, so I agree its worth a try. I suspect however that Netgear will only use the L2TP over the Ethernet WAN, not the Mobile WAN.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to