General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-20 13:45:05
Print Post

Re: Nighthawk R7100LG According to AAISP wont do VPN

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

Thanks for all your help Highland and the rest of you guys' shall endeavour to have a go but if not will ring AAISP again to see what they have to say.

Thanks for listing all the information and for trying to make it a lot easier for myself and i will read and look through all the posts, especially what you have just listed.

Many thanks and i will keep you all informed of what happens regarding this issue.

Cheers.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-20 15:16:30
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by time2die:
Many thanks and i will keep you all informed of what happens regarding this issue.
Might be worth re-iterating what is going on here:

When you connect to the internet using EE (or other networks) the connection outbound works normally, and you ask questions, and the replies get back to you. This lets you load web pages, and play many games.

However, because the world has run out of IP version 4 addresses, when you use EE any game that tries to send information to you direct (without replying to your question) get stopped at EE, as they don't know which customer (out of over 20 million) to send the information on to. This is also a problem with some newer fixed line ISPs, such as Hyperoptic using IP version 4.

The workaround is for you to make a second connection to the internet, over the EE connection, into AAISP's provision. At this point AAISP give you an IP version 4 address that is unique to you, so your game servers can send you information directly.

What Highland is suggesting is that your Netgear box can BOTH connect you to EE, and at the same time make a connection over the EE service into AAISP. I don't think this is possible as the Netgear designers would not have thought this necessary. Their reason for including mobile support in the router is to provide a connection when the main service fails.

If you had two router boxes, in theory, the EE box can make the connection to EE, and the Netgear would make the AAISP connection, over the link the EE box already created.

(Whilst this is similar to a VPN there is no encryption, so you don't get the security benefits that a VPN would bring).

My ASUS WiFi 6 router is similar, and can't create an L2TP connection over an existing internet link. It has VPN but only supports OpenVPN, IPsec, and PPTP protocols.

To use an analogy - in a tower block of flats, and you go out and get a pizza, and come back, no problems. But you call out for pizza, and the pizza guy turns up at the door man, and he has no clue which flat called out. In a New York tower block of 800 or more flats, you don't get your pizza. AAISP is providing a long piece of string to the pizza guy, which leads to your front door. Problem is your Netgear doesn't know how to roll the string down the corridor and stairs.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Sun 18-Oct-20 15:21:36)

Standard User Highland76
(committed) Sun 18-Oct-20 15:43:32
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I think one device which is guaranteed to work as a 1 box solution for the OP is the Asus 4G-AC86U as this has a separate dedicated VPN app which supports L2TP, OpenVPN, PPTP etc. Like on regular standalone Asus routers.

https://www.asus.com/Networking/4G-AC86U/

Doesn't seem to be available anywhere though, might just have been released by Asus. Specs look impressive, so not going to be cheap!!

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Highland76 (Sun 18-Oct-20 15:45:52)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-20 15:57:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by Highland76:
Like on regular standalone Asus routers.
I have an Asus RT-AX88U which in theory is a superset of this, without the LTE, as it has 4 antennas and WiFi 6 support (AX). It has VPN, but L2TP is not an option within the VPN menu. L2TP is supported alongside PPPoE, PPTP, Static IP, and DHCP, for the WAN connection.

Might be worth asking on Small Net Builder forums if anyone has a 4G-AC86U and if it can create an L2TP connection over an existing internet connection. I suspect the number of users whom need this is small.

Standard User Highland76
(committed) Sun 18-Oct-20 18:45:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
It has VPN, but L2TP is not an option within the VPN menu.

That's strange, here it says that a L2TP VPN client can be setup under the VPN settings tab:

https://www.asus.com/UK/support/FAQ/1011232

Also when I briefly used my RT-AX89X not that long ago, pretty sure I managed to setup L2TP VPN using my vpn.ac account under VPN Client Server settings. So no idea why it would be different for the RT-AX88U, if indeed that is the case.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Highland76 (Sun 18-Oct-20 18:47:21)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-20 20:56:06
Print Post

Interesting. I have IPsec as well as PPTP and OpenVPN whereas that document doesn’t have IPsec, and has L2TP instead.

Given L2TP is not encrypted: it doesn’t help people who want to use VPN to protect public Wi-Fi. Or to bypass content filters.

One for the Small Net Builder forum where RMerlin hangs out.

Standard User Highland76
(committed) Sun 18-Oct-20 21:31:18
Print Post

I think the Asus VPN Client setup is using the L2TP over IPSec protocol so it offers at least some degree of encryption - certainly far better than standalone L2TP.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-20 23:43:59
Print Post

Thanks for that jchamier,understand bits of what you say and it makes me think what AAISP are saying is correct if you think that my router wont do what is suggested.

I really don't want to go down the 2 router set up, if anything i would rather fork out for a router that does or this if possible.

Sounds crazy given this router is some 2 years old and bought pacifically for this issue and at some cost i may add.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-20 23:48:57
Print Post

Interesting reading the banter from you 2 technical people, personally i have not got a clue what either of you are talking about, its all strange terms and numbers and i wish i had the knowledge you to seem to have as i am sure i would have had this up and running months ago.

Once again i thank you both for your information and input into this situation and please keep posting if you have any other ideas as its all helpful if not to me but to a fair few others.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Oct-20 01:49:20
Print Post

Is this that router...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC86U-AiProtection-...

And dont i require a Modem built into the router [im unsure] i know i did when i had fibre [those were the days]

This is just a router ?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to