General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Oct-20 00:47:20
Print Post

Nighthawk R7100LG According to AAISP wont do VPN

[link to this post]

So for many months now i acquired and paid £10 a month for a VPN of Andrews and Arnold because the only form of decent internet i can get in this rural property is EE 4G and other 4G providers.

Originally i had the small EE white 4g router which was very limited in the form of not been able to change much once inside, but the main problem with this on all my consoles was strict Nat.

Someone suggested i change this and i bought a Nighthawk R7100LG which at the time was just shy of £300.

Was told this LTE router would do everything i wanted and more, once set up and running a playstation 4 network test i noticed the Strict Nat had changed to Type 2 and i did not proceed to use the VPN i had been paying for.

But recently when playing the Nintendo Switch and Xbox i was still getting strict Nat and was also been booted out of games on the Playstation 4.

So i thought i would put in the VPN setting provided by AAISP and see if i could make things better, first of i found the whole process extremely hard to understand, after many attempts at trying to find where i put these settings provided i gave up.

In the week i rang AAISP and said can i cancel this as i have not got a clue how to get this working, at first the guy said no problem but why dont you let are technical team help you set it up.

Fine i said that will be great if thats the case, after 20 minutes of talking to the technical guy he said he could not see a way of setting this up with this router.

I said are you absolutely sure as this router cost £300 and it has VPN settings in it,he said he does not see what he needs to see and as far as he is concerned it don't work.

Im still finding this hard to believe so if anyone with any now how has information regarding this issue please tell...

Cheers.

Edited by time2die (Sat 17-Oct-20 00:49:10)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Oct-20 10:09:05
Print Post

Re: Nighthawk R7100LG According to AAISP wont do VPN

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by time2die:
Im still finding this hard to believe so if anyone with any now how has information regarding this issue please tell...

AAISP's service is not a VPN, as it does not encrypt your information over the internet. It is called L2TP which is "Layer 2 Tunnelling Protocol" as allows you to connect to the AAISP network from somewhere else.

Think of VPN as an orange and L2TP as a kiwi fruit. They're both fruit, but otherwise they are completely different.

That your Netgear says it supports VPN doesn't help, it needs to support L2TP.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Sat 17-Oct-20 11:00:48
Print Post

AAISP are telling you porkies - the R7100LG definitely allows you to setup a L2TP connection. You simply select 'L2TP' as connection type, and enter your AAISP supplied username and password in the corresponding fields and click 'apply'. Nearly every third party router on this planet can do L2TP so rather surprising that AAISP's 'technical' team aren't aware of this fact.

See pages 28/29/30 in the user manual under

Specify an Internet Connection That Uses a Login

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7100LG/R...

TalkTalk Business Fibre 900 -- Netgear RAX200

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Oct-20 11:10:59
Print Post

[re: Highland76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Highland76:
You simply select 'L2TP' as connection type, and enter your AAISP supplied username and password in the corresponding fields and click 'apply'.

Wouldn't that stop the primary LTE (4G) connection, that the OP is relying on for internet access, from working?

The point of the AAISP service is you connect to it OVER your existing (problematic) internet. The OP is relying on LTE for fast internet, but like many, the ISP uses CGNAT which is a problem for the games they want to play.

Standard User Highland76
(committed) Sat 17-Oct-20 11:13:21
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:

AAISP's service is not a VPN, as it does not encrypt your information over the internet. It is called L2TP which is "Layer 2 Tunnelling Protocol" as allows you to connect to the AAISP network from somewhere else.

Think of VPN as an orange and L2TP as a kiwi fruit. They're both fruit, but otherwise they are completely different.

That your Netgear says it supports VPN doesn't help, it needs to support L2TP.

That's all largely academic though as AAISPs 'technical' team should have realised that the OP is trying setup their L2TP tunnel service - which he is paying good money for - even if he was referring to it as a VPN service.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Sat 17-Oct-20 11:17:10
Print Post

You simply select 'L2TP' as connection type, and enter your AAISP supplied username and password in the corresponding fields and click 'apply'.

Wouldn't that stop the primary LTE (4G) connection, that the OP is relying on for internet access, from working?

The point of the AAISP service is you connect to it OVER your existing (problematic) internet. The OP is relying on LTE for fast internet, but like many, the ISP uses CGNAT which is a problem for the games they want to play.

If the Netgear can't do 4G and L2TP at the same time, then the OP simply connects the netgear to the EE router, ie the EE kit provides the 4G service and the Netgear does the L2TP tunnelling.This is guaranteed to work 100%.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Highland76 (Sat 17-Oct-20 11:19:47)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Oct-20 11:23:58
Print Post

If the Netgear can't do 4G and L2TP at the same time, then the OP simply connects the netgear to the EE router, ie the EE kit provides the 4G service and the Netgear does the L2TP tunnelling.This is guaranteed to work 100%.

Agreed, a good workaround! and in fact any (non DSL) router would work, not having to buy an (expensive?) LTE router like the R7100LG smile

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Oct-20 11:24:40
Print Post

That's all largely academic though as AAISPs 'technical' team should have realised that the OP is trying setup their L2TP tunnel service - which he is paying good money for - even if he was referring to it as a VPN service.
Depends what they were told. Support can be good but they can't be mind readers. They may not know the OP has a telco supplied device.

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Oct-20 15:01:35
Print Post

Thanks guys for all the response, makes interesting reading and i may well go back to AAISP technical team with the information provided by yourselves.

Would have to go back to EE with the suggestion i use there provided equipment though as this uses the Nano Sim and i changed this to a Micro sim for the netgear router.

I did use at first an adapter ,but this proved problematic and was extremely fiddly to get right, son went into a EE store and asked them for the Micro sim on the same account.

Still find the process quite hard to understand though but i thank you guys all the same for all the useful information.

Cheers all.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Oct-20 16:56:17
Print Post

Was looking at this connection type [L2TP] and to be honest i can not find this in this router, i see VPN on the left hand side of the menu in advanced but nothing for connection type.

Cheers.

Edit....

I see in the mobile broadband settings ,the one that at present says [Automatic 4g or 3g] that box or drop down menu gives me the option to put LTE only in and underneath that there is options for passwords.

User name
Password
PDP type .

Cheers.

Actually it says 4GLTE only and i think I'm barking up the wrong tree here.

Edited by time2die (Sat 17-Oct-20 17:12:05)

Standard User Highland76
(committed) Sat 17-Oct-20 17:21:48
Print Post

First of all make sure you have an internet connection on the Netgear using the EE sim - it should ‘auto-sense’ this using any mobile data sim. Do a hard reset if necessary by holding the reset button on back of the router for approx 10 secs.

Once the Netgear is online then set up a L2TP (or ‘VPN’) connection in the router using the A&A supplied login details. read pages 28,29 & 30 of the online user manual as I suggested earlier on how to do this.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-20 00:04:24
Print Post

Many Thanks Highland i will have a go mate for sure.

Any reason why i have to do a hard reset, and are these functions at the place i suggested ?

I shall read the pages as you suggested, sorry i did not get around to that .

Cheers.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-20 00:18:17
Print Post

I have taken a look at the login page 28 as you suggested but noticed this is for a Nighthawk AC1900,is this the same router that i listed as i can not see this login page anywhere in my router settings, unless i see this once i have done a hard reset as you suggested.

Im a little confused as i have a couple of EE login details that i use to connect, once i put in the Andrews and arnold details if and when i ever see the screen on page 28 will it still connect and work.

I may go back to AAISP next week with this new information so they can help me as i think it will be way easier to be honest.

As long as i have not got to go and get the supplied EE equipment out as i dont want to really go through that into my netgear to achieve what i want.

I also noticed in the feedback regarding my post that its not exactly a VPN I'm using apparently so someone said, well thats what AAISP sold me as far as I'm concerned.

Its obviously not that easy as the technical guys at AAISP could not find a way of doing it so what chance have i got.

Thanks for the help though much appreciated, just wish it was as easy as you make out.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-20 00:23:06
Print Post

I explained the difference; AAISP don’t sell a VPN so from a security standpoint your data is not encrypted. However for you it is what you need.

I’m not sure highland has appreciated your router has built in LTE and you want a “one box” solution. If you have the EE router you can follow his suggestion IF your Netgear supports Ethernet WAN. I haven’t had a chance to look at manuals.

So far AAISP tech support are ahead of this forum. If you have the EE box, call them with that info, they might be able to help.

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-20 10:06:20
Print Post

If it has LTE one box solution then there is no need to use the EE box provided which is very limited to what that can actually do, besides like i have also explained the Netgear has a micro sim and the EE box uses a Nano sim ,so a phone call to EE is required for a replacement sim card and its not what i want to be honest.

Its already like spaghetti junction with all the devices and cables around the place and a 2 router configuration is not what i want and like you said i should not really need to go down this route.

I know for certain that using just the EE box everything is strict Nat,when setting up the netgear at least i get type 2 on the playstation 4 even though this seems to be causing some issues with disconnection.

I also don't see he same settings as explained on page 28 on my router.
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Sun 18-Oct-20 11:02:05
Print Post

That link I posted to the user manual is definitely for the R7100LG. The AC1900 bit is just the wifi speeds specification (combined wifi speeds)

I'm well aware that this is a standard router with LTE built-in, you should try to see first if you can get L2TP working over the router's own LTE connection - it may work or it may not. But if it does, its a lot simpler than having a 2 box solution.

Did you follow the steps below? At step 6 you need to select L2TP.

Specify an Internet Connection That Uses a Login
To view or change the basic Internet setup:
1. Launch a web browser from a WiFi-enabled computer or mobile device that is connected to the network.
2. Enter http://www.routerlogin.net.
A login window opens.
3. Enter the modem router user name and password.
The user name is admin. The default password is password. The user name and password are
case-sensitive.
4. Select Internet.
5. For the Does your Internet connection require a login? setting, select the Yes radio button.
6. From the Internet Service Provider menu, select the encapsulation method: PPPoE, L2TP, or PPTP.
7. In the Login field, enter the login name that your ISP gave you.
This login name is often an email address.
8. In the Password field, type the password that you use to log in to your Internet service.
9. If your ISP requires a service name, type it in the Service Name (if Required) field.
10. From the Connection Mode menu, select Always On, Dial on Demand, or Manually Connect.
11. To change the number of minutes until the Internet login times out, in the Idle Timeout (In minutes)
field, type the number of minutes.
This is how long the modem router keeps the Internet connection active when no one on the network
is using the Internet connection. A value of 0 (zero) means never log out.
12. Select an Internet IP Address radio button:
• Get Dynamically from ISP.Your ISP uses DHCP to assign your IP address.Your ISP automatically
assigns these addresses.
• Use Static IP Address. Enter the IP address, IP subnet mask, and the gateway IP address that
your ISP assigned. The gateway is the ISP modem router to which your modem router connects.
13. Select a Domain Name Server (DNS) Address radio button:
• Get Automatically from ISP.Your ISP uses DHCP to assign your DNS servers.Your ISP
automatically assigns this address.
• Use These DNS Servers. If you know that your ISP requires specific servers, select this option.
Enter the IP address of your ISP’s primary DNS server. If a secondary DNS server address is
available, enter it also.
Specify Your Internet Settings
14. Select a Router MAC Address radio button:
• Use Default Address. Use the default MAC address.
• Use Computer MAC Address. The modem router captures and uses the MAC address of the
computer that you are now using.You must use the one computer that the ISP allows.
• Use This MAC Address. Enter the MAC address that you want to use.
15. Click the Apply button.
Your settings are saved.
16. Click the Test button to test your Internet connection.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-20 12:42:24
Print Post

it may work or it may not.
My expectation is it cannot as the designers would assume this setting is for logging on the cellular ISP, which in the UK we don't use these. Worth a try, but I'm not optimistic smile

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-20 12:44:11
Print Post

I know for certain that using just the EE box everything is strict Nat,when setting up the netgear at least i get type 2 on the playstation 4 even though this seems to be causing some issues with disconnection.
Agreed, using the EE box on its own does not help.

Standard User Highland76
(committed) Sun 18-Oct-20 13:00:58
Print Post

it may work or it may not.
My expectation is it cannot as the designers would assume this setting is for logging on the cellular ISP, which in the UK we don't use these. Worth a try, but I'm not optimistic smile

No, on that router there’s a separate settings section for mobile broadband data which is why I think there’s a good chance L2TP *might* work over the built in LTE radio.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-20 13:40:57
Print Post

No, on that router there’s a separate settings section for mobile broadband data which is why I think there’s a good chance L2TP *might* work over the built in LTE radio.
It is unclear from the manual, so I agree its worth a try. I suspect however that Netgear will only use the L2TP over the Ethernet WAN, not the Mobile WAN.

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-20 13:45:05
Print Post

Thanks for all your help Highland and the rest of you guys' shall endeavour to have a go but if not will ring AAISP again to see what they have to say.

Thanks for listing all the information and for trying to make it a lot easier for myself and i will read and look through all the posts, especially what you have just listed.

Many thanks and i will keep you all informed of what happens regarding this issue.

Cheers.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-20 15:16:30
Print Post

Many thanks and i will keep you all informed of what happens regarding this issue.
Might be worth re-iterating what is going on here:

When you connect to the internet using EE (or other networks) the connection outbound works normally, and you ask questions, and the replies get back to you. This lets you load web pages, and play many games.

However, because the world has run out of IP version 4 addresses, when you use EE any game that tries to send information to you direct (without replying to your question) get stopped at EE, as they don't know which customer (out of over 20 million) to send the information on to. This is also a problem with some newer fixed line ISPs, such as Hyperoptic using IP version 4.

The workaround is for you to make a second connection to the internet, over the EE connection, into AAISP's provision. At this point AAISP give you an IP version 4 address that is unique to you, so your game servers can send you information directly.

What Highland is suggesting is that your Netgear box can BOTH connect you to EE, and at the same time make a connection over the EE service into AAISP. I don't think this is possible as the Netgear designers would not have thought this necessary. Their reason for including mobile support in the router is to provide a connection when the main service fails.

If you had two router boxes, in theory, the EE box can make the connection to EE, and the Netgear would make the AAISP connection, over the link the EE box already created.

(Whilst this is similar to a VPN there is no encryption, so you don't get the security benefits that a VPN would bring).

My ASUS WiFi 6 router is similar, and can't create an L2TP connection over an existing internet link. It has VPN but only supports OpenVPN, IPsec, and PPTP protocols.

To use an analogy - in a tower block of flats, and you go out and get a pizza, and come back, no problems. But you call out for pizza, and the pizza guy turns up at the door man, and he has no clue which flat called out. In a New York tower block of 800 or more flats, you don't get your pizza. AAISP is providing a long piece of string to the pizza guy, which leads to your front door. Problem is your Netgear doesn't know how to roll the string down the corridor and stairs.

Edited by jchamier (Sun 18-Oct-20 15:21:36)

Standard User Highland76
(committed) Sun 18-Oct-20 15:43:32
Print Post

I think one device which is guaranteed to work as a 1 box solution for the OP is the Asus 4G-AC86U as this has a separate dedicated VPN app which supports L2TP, OpenVPN, PPTP etc. Like on regular standalone Asus routers.

https://www.asus.com/Networking/4G-AC86U/

Doesn't seem to be available anywhere though, might just have been released by Asus. Specs look impressive, so not going to be cheap!!

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Highland76 (Sun 18-Oct-20 15:45:52)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-20 15:57:15
Print Post

Like on regular standalone Asus routers.
I have an Asus RT-AX88U which in theory is a superset of this, without the LTE, as it has 4 antennas and WiFi 6 support (AX). It has VPN, but L2TP is not an option within the VPN menu. L2TP is supported alongside PPPoE, PPTP, Static IP, and DHCP, for the WAN connection.

Might be worth asking on Small Net Builder forums if anyone has a 4G-AC86U and if it can create an L2TP connection over an existing internet connection. I suspect the number of users whom need this is small.

Standard User Highland76
(committed) Sun 18-Oct-20 18:45:43
Print Post

It has VPN, but L2TP is not an option within the VPN menu.

That's strange, here it says that a L2TP VPN client can be setup under the VPN settings tab:

https://www.asus.com/UK/support/FAQ/1011232

Also when I briefly used my RT-AX89X not that long ago, pretty sure I managed to setup L2TP VPN using my vpn.ac account under VPN Client Server settings. So no idea why it would be different for the RT-AX88U, if indeed that is the case.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Highland76 (Sun 18-Oct-20 18:47:21)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-20 20:56:06
Print Post

Interesting. I have IPsec as well as PPTP and OpenVPN whereas that document doesn’t have IPsec, and has L2TP instead.

Given L2TP is not encrypted: it doesn’t help people who want to use VPN to protect public Wi-Fi. Or to bypass content filters.

One for the Small Net Builder forum where RMerlin hangs out.

Standard User Highland76
(committed) Sun 18-Oct-20 21:31:18
Print Post

I think the Asus VPN Client setup is using the L2TP over IPSec protocol so it offers at least some degree of encryption - certainly far better than standalone L2TP.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-20 23:43:59
Print Post

Thanks for that jchamier,understand bits of what you say and it makes me think what AAISP are saying is correct if you think that my router wont do what is suggested.

I really don't want to go down the 2 router set up, if anything i would rather fork out for a router that does or this if possible.

Sounds crazy given this router is some 2 years old and bought pacifically for this issue and at some cost i may add.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-20 23:48:57
Print Post

Interesting reading the banter from you 2 technical people, personally i have not got a clue what either of you are talking about, its all strange terms and numbers and i wish i had the knowledge you to seem to have as i am sure i would have had this up and running months ago.

Once again i thank you both for your information and input into this situation and please keep posting if you have any other ideas as its all helpful if not to me but to a fair few others.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Oct-20 01:49:20
Print Post

Is this that router...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC86U-AiProtection-...

And dont i require a Modem built into the router [im unsure] i know i did when i had fibre [those were the days]

This is just a router ?
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Mon 19-Oct-20 08:05:22
Print Post

Is this that router...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC86U-AiProtection-...

And dont i require a Modem built into the router [im unsure] i know i did when i had fibre [those were the days]

This is just a router ?

Correct, the RT-AC86U is just a standard router, it doesn't have LTE radios built in. However the 4G-AC86U doesn't seem to be available anywhere so you might want to consider the 4G-AC68U instead which is cat 6 LTE (up to 300 Mbps) rather than Cat 12 (up to 600 Mbps). Like the 4G-AC86U, the 4G-AC68U also supports full fat encrypted VPN (PPTP, L2TP over IPSec, OpenVPN etc).

https://www.asus.com/Networking/4G-AC68U/overview/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-4G-AC68U-AC1900-Router...

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Oct-20 08:18:38
Print Post

I think the Asus VPN Client setup is using the L2TP over IPSec protocol so it offers at least some degree of encryption - certainly far better than standalone L2TP.
Gotcha! I think I've found the GUI and it might be different as I switched to Merlin's version for the enhanced logging. The L2TP hides under PPTP and then there is a toggle. smile

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Oct-20 08:19:27
Print Post

However the 4G-AC86U doesn't seem to be available anywhere so you might want to consider the 4G-AC68U instead which is cat 6 LTE (up to 300 Mbps) rather than Cat 12 (up to 600 Mbps). Like the 4G-AC86U, the 4G-AC68U also supports full fat encrypted VPN (PPTP, L2TP over IPSec, OpenVPN etc).

Its a shame as Cat 12 is better on most built up areas on EE - although if rural there is likely to be no difference.

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Oct-20 15:27:17
Print Post

If i go down this route then many thanks mate for the information, seems crazy in the scheme of things given this router cost £300 and i can not get this to work.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Oct-20 16:38:01
Print Post

If i go down this route then many thanks mate for the information, seems crazy in the scheme of things given this router cost £300 and i can not get this to work.

What you're trying to do is not something most router manufacturers would have seen as a need.

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Oct-20 16:38:29
Print Post

To be honest having read through the majority of help and i very much thank the guys for all the contributions made.

I have decided since there is no real solution here and we are now talking buying other equipment to get this working I'm going to leave it as it is for now.

I was hoping that this router had the capabilities to do this AAISP stuff and it would be basically a 1 minute set up sequence without all the confusing aspects it seems to have amassed.

To be fair a lot of the stuff is well over my head and understand very little of the help provided, most people like myself get a router go to the login menu put a username/password configuration and never ever use the internals of the router ever again until they possibly have internet problems.

And even then the majority i would say would not even know how to login to there router as a basic function.

I get by but the people on here are on another level , and sometimes i don't think those with the great knowledge understand how even a little thing like finding a certain setting in a router and changing a few things is a major headache to most people.

Guys have posted some great stuff but as of yet no clear instruction how i can get this working on this router with AAISP said does not work ?
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Oct-20 16:44:28
Print Post

Are we 100% sure this router will not do what is required, i would ring Netgear but thats a cost for technical support.

When the people providing the VPN or whatever you want to call it says it wont work then to be honest i have very little hope i will achieve anything also.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Oct-20 18:21:16
Print Post

I have decided since there is no real solution here and we are now talking buying other equipment to get this working I'm going to leave it as it is for now.

Understood. To clarify, the simplest solution is to connect the EE supplied router to the Netgear's Ethernet WAN port, and change some settings on the Netgear. Unfortunately as the two units use different size SIMs you might use an adaptor, or have to swap.

I was hoping that this router had the capabilities to do this AAISP stuff and it would be basically a 1 minute set up sequence without all the confusing aspects it seems to have amassed.
Did you try the setting that Highland suggested? pages 28/29/30 in the user manual, where you could type in the AAISP provided username and password information. It might not work, but is worth a try.

To be fair a lot of the stuff is well over my head and understand very little of the help provided, most people like myself get a router go to the login menu put a username/password configuration and never ever use the internals of the router ever again until they possibly have internet problems.

The problem is that you have a special case of needing to use two internet providers to make your games work. The games themselves really need updating.

And even then the majority i would say would not even know how to login to there router as a basic function.
Which is why if you go for fixed line broadband from any of the "big 5" you get supplied a box, and a helpdesk that knows their way around that box. They won't help with any third party hardware. AAISP are very specialist and can provide services that the big 5 wouldn't bother with.

I get by but the people on here are on another level , and sometimes i don't think those with the great knowledge understand how even a little thing like finding a certain setting in a router and changing a few things is a major headache to most people.

Understood. I've been working with computers, networks, and router type things for 25 years. smile

how i can get this working on this router with AAISP said does not work ?
As above, try the settings suggested, but if that does not work, your only choice is the two box setup, EE box with the SIM in, connected to the Ethernet WAN port on the Netgear, and then the AAISP settings in the Netgear.

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Oct-20 23:30:35
Print Post

I don't see these pages mate on my router as suggested by Highland on page 28.

Thanks Jchamier for this ,to be honest mate i need step by step instructions with someone that is looking at the exact thing i am.

No way I'm using 2 routers to get this working, unless i have major problems with the upcoming series x and playstation 5.

To be honest if this router does not do it and the choice is how you say [2 routers] i would in the long run prefer to get a router suggested by you guys that could do what i want and what i need.

But i would only purchase such equipment if it was certain to work and fix the strict nat and disconnection issues and help from yourself or highland.

If only i had fibre i would not have any of these issues, thankfully 4g in a way is a saviour for us,bt claim we have fibre and we did when we first moved here, but to call it fibre with a 500mb to 1meg at best connection is a joke, it took us 6 months to get out of the contract as we told bt it was not fit for purpose .

Even when they agreed to cancel with about 20 hours on the phone to them they still proceeded to charge us even though they claimed they would not.

Edited by time2die (Mon 19-Oct-20 23:34:02)

Standard User Highland76
(committed) Tue 20-Oct-20 00:12:41
Print Post

Are you not able to access the Netgear settings in any browser by going to www.routerlogin.net or 192.168.1.1 from any pc connected to the Netgear?

If you bought one of those LTE Asus routers I mentioned earlier then they would allow you to use a proper encrypted VPN over the built in LTE on it so that’s a guaranteed 1 box solution. But you could potentially be wasting money if the Netgear is able to do the same.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Oct-20 08:54:21
Print Post

I login to the router daily Highland and im ok with all the different options and menus regularly reboot the router through the login process and look at the connection status and wifi settings and stuff like that.

Also when my blue 4g router light changes to orange [No 4G] i login then to check the settings to find the router is not connected and we have EE 4G problems which this year have been many disconnections with there service.

Im ok finding things as im not as thick as i make out, but i can not seem to find the places to set this VPN up ,just like AAISP.

Edited by time2die (Tue 20-Oct-20 09:58:04)

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Oct-20 08:58:57
Print Post

Just noticed your picture link on the bottom of your posts and i presume you have this Netgear RAX200,and i thought mine was expensive.
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Tue 20-Oct-20 09:38:46
Print Post

After you login to the router, don't you see 'internet' on the left side? If you do, click on on that.

Showing you some screenshots from my Netgear RAX200, different router i know but its the same steps involved if setting up a L2TP tunnel. You need to enter your AAISP login detaiils at step 4 on the second screenshot:

https://postimg.cc/T53wX2V0

https://postimg.cc/dDsDC6bC

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Tue 20-Oct-20 09:46:46
Print Post

Yeah the RAX200 wasn't cheap but pretty much all high end wifi 6 routers cost a small fortune. Performs very well on my Gigabit FTTP line, so IMHO well worth the investment.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Oct-20 09:59:27
Print Post

Just on my way back i will check this when i get back later this afternoon, many thanks Highland.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Oct-20 10:07:35
Print Post

Done the screenshots of what i see but I'm sorry i can not seem to work out how i put them into the forum posts, dragged and dropped them but they are not like yours and you could not click on them.

Edited by time2die (Tue 20-Oct-20 10:12:29)

Standard User Highland76
(committed) Tue 20-Oct-20 10:12:06
Print Post

Those are local network links. Use something like postimage to upload your images and then post the links on here. Remove any personal info from your photos

https://postimages.org/

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Highland76 (Tue 20-Oct-20 10:12:34)

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Oct-20 10:16:13
Print Post

Which link do i use with all the available copy options for this to work, copied one and tried it ,worked but took you to the website that i used to convert it, it did show what i had taken though.

Edited by time2die (Tue 20-Oct-20 10:19:06)

Standard User Highland76
(committed) Tue 20-Oct-20 10:20:43
Print Post

Copy and paste the first link (shown in 'link' box)

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Oct-20 11:02:31
Print Post

ok mate will do .smile
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Oct-20 12:17:50
Print Post

https://postimg.cc/ctCwHQHq
https://postimg.cc/dkMgbkrw
Standard User mbames
(committed) Tue 20-Oct-20 12:38:56
Print Post

A firmware update for the 7100LG might not go amiss either, you certainly aren't on the latest.

https://kb.netgear.com/000062458/R7100LG-Firmware-Ve...

Vodafone Fibre (Superfast2 - 80/20), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-910c x 2
(Gone but not forgotten: AP-700, 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Oct-20 12:41:03
Print Post

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

Thats on auto update and i check most days regarding firmware and when i last looked and logged into the router only last week and clicked on check for latest firmware i was told i had the latest.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Oct-20 12:43:50
Print Post

Just checked 1 minute ago.

https://postimg.cc/SYWBmWcm
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Tue 20-Oct-20 12:54:16
Print Post

https://postimg.cc/ctCwHQHq
https://postimg.cc/dkMgbkrw

Cheers. As jchamier suspected, it seems this router can't run a L2TP tunnel over LTE. If you want to continue using this router, then it would have to piggy back off the EE router, ie you would let the EE kit handle the LTE side of things and the Netgear will do the L2TP tunnelling.

However...if you are determined to have a 1 box solution then you will need to buy the Asus 4G-AC86U or 4G-AC68U. These have a VPN 'app' built-in and are almost 100% guaranteed to do waht you want. You could even get rid of A&A L2TP service and get a proper, almost bullet proof VPN service (OpenVPN based) from Private Tunnel (these were the guys who created the OpenVPN protocol) or AirVPN. But on the other hand OpenVPN based VPN services take a big hit on speeds (due to heavy encryption) so its a bit of a balancing act.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Tue 20-Oct-20 12:58:35
Print Post

Just checked 1 minute ago.

https://postimg.cc/SYWBmWcm

You would need to download the latest firmware and upgrade manually:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7100LG#down...

But I very much doubt using the latest firmware would magically enable L2TP over LTE, though of course its always good practice to use the latest firmware.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Oct-20 13:04:13
Print Post

Which one is best Highlander and would you possibly help me set it up and point me in the right direction if i proceed with this upgrade.

The 2 router configuration is not what i want, and to be honest this provided EE white box router is extremely limited and has very little setting you can change.

Seems AAISP are correct then when i said to them i am finding it difficult to set up, apart from the first replay to the post when i think jchamier or someone said that AAISP are telling me porkies smile

Once again at the moment i thank you for your time Highlander and Jchamier for all your help in this matter.

Because i would really like to get this working i will most likely fork out for this Asus router providing i buy the right one and i hope it uses the same type sim as what's in this Netgear.Micro i think ?,Nano in the EE one.

Shame really as i really do know around Netgear products and there interface and i suspect the Asus will be different.

When i say [I know] I mean i get by ?
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Oct-20 13:09:34
Print Post

The only good thing about the EE router in my opinion is in the fact when we first signed up for the 4G contract and they provided that router, it has 2 aerial sockets for outside mounting of the aerial and i could achieve 4g speeds of 100mbps.

Sadly i don't use this anymore and get around 30 to 40 which is fine ,as most of the other third party routers do not facilitate this option.

Had to pay EE or whoever £100 for the outside Aerial ,the other downside is your only allowed 5mtr max cable and no more.
Standard User Highland76
(committed) Tue 20-Oct-20 13:10:53
Print Post

The 4G-AC86U is far superior to the 4G-AC68U, so if you can, buy the former. But it doesn't seem to be available anywhere just yet, I think its because its only just been announced. Maybe give Asus a call to ask when/if this will be released in UK. Otherwise go for the AC68.

Its fairly easy to set up VPN on Asus routers, I'll do my best to help you 👍

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Highland76 (Tue 20-Oct-20 13:15:38)

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Oct-20 13:11:08
Print Post

Yeah thats what i was thinking, and like you said i doubt it will magically sort out the issue.

Looks like the Asus mate smile
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Oct-20 13:12:51
Print Post

Thank you mate mucho appreciated ,will keep checking on this router.
Standard User miken06
(committed) Tue 20-Oct-20 13:21:27
Print Post

I was bored on my lunch break so I had a quick look at the extracted firmware, it makes plenty of mention of setting up a L2TP connection.
However it's unclear if it can do l2tp over 4G like the Asus's mentioned specification clearly identified (L2TP client).
But theres also reference to specifying mobile as the fallback (so I'd think you should be able to setup l2tp and 4G and tell it to prefer l2tp)

Since what you're seeing doesn't seem to match the manual I'd suggest seeing what options you get when setting up a new connection, probably via the advanced tabs.
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Oct-20 13:46:34
Print Post

[re: miken06] [link to this post]

Many thanks for this mate much appreciated, before i go down the new router route i shall endeavour to try and look and do what you suggest.

Firstly though looks like i will have to manually upgrade the firmware like you suggested, don't know why it can not do this when its set to Auto is anyones guess ?
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Oct-20 16:33:03
Print Post

Manually upgraded it....cheers.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to