General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adslmax
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Oct-20 11:04:43
Print Post

Smarty £18 Unlimited Data

[link to this post]

I have joined smarty (3) from plusnet (ee) and was shocked overall - rubbish speed, very poor high ping, kept disconnected from internet. [censored] from Smarty as they offer 4G unlimited data for cheapest £18 a month. AVOID IT at all cost!

Plusnet (ee) 2 / 3 bars signal 4G (12GB data, unlimited texts, unlimited calls, 30 days) @ £10

download speed 62Mbps
upload speed 26Mbps
ping 23ms

Smarty (3) 1 / 2 bars signal 4G (unlimited data, unlimited texts, unlimited calls, 30 days) @ £18

download speed 2Mbps
upload speed 4Mbps
ping 59ms

Very disappointed with smarty as I am going to port same number back to plusnet next few days.

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Wed 28-Oct-20 11:45:34
Print Post

Re: Smarty £18 Unlimited Data

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Did you miss this thread which identifies the slow speeds problem with Smarty and offers at least one way to resolve the issue?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Oct-20 11:46:32
Print Post

Quite a few people have already posted about poor performance of Smarty on here. Pay such a low price and it is going to be rubbish. Even 3 at a bit higher price have had performance issues on the unlimited data products.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 28-Oct-20 12:35:14
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Not only your and GonePostal's comments, but EE is overall almost certainly the best in the UK. Whether PN is quite as good I have no idea.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 28-Oct-20 12:37:26
Print Post

You could have tested first with a £1 spend on a Smarty SIM plus adding some data for £5-£10. Try before buy! Don't like it, take it out and bin it. Put the Plusnet one back in.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Oct-20 12:41:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Not only your and GonePostal's comments, but EE is overall almost certainly the best in the UK. Whether PN is quite as good I have no idea.

It will depend on the load on your local mast, which varies in areas. EE has the largest capacity, but they don't deploy it all everywhere (for cost reasons). So worth experimenting.

Uaing a second tier, virtual network (MVNO) and expecting high speeds is bad judgement, they are second tier to be CHEAP.

The real networks are: Vodafone, O2, EE and Three.

The virtual operators are here -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom...

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 28-Oct-20 13:03:14
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I did say "overall". Not always or everywhere wink.

========================
Standard User adslmax
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Oct-20 13:14:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You could have tested first with a £1 spend on a Smarty SIM plus adding some data for £5-£10. Try before buy! Don't like it, take it out and bin it. Put the Plusnet one back in.

Yes never thought of that! Plusnet (ee) are the best coverage in my area always getting 62Meg down and 26Meg up but Plusnet will never offer unlimited because of ee

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Oct-20 13:28:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Yes never thought of that! Plusnet (ee) are the best coverage in my area always getting 62Meg down and 26Meg up but Plusnet will never offer unlimited because of ee
Only Vodafone’s mobile data is unlimited. All the others (EE, O2, Three) has a FUP. I think EE’s is the lowest at 600GB per month. O2 around 650GB and Three is higher.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Wed 28-Oct-20 13:30:11)

Standard User adslmax
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Oct-20 13:29:02
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Quite a few people have already posted about poor performance of Smarty on here. Pay such a low price and it is going to be rubbish. Even 3 at a bit higher price have had performance issues on the unlimited data products.

I know EE got 60GB on 4G/5G but way too expensive at £30 a month for pay as you go with no contract! or Unlimited Data on 4G/5G at £37 a month for 2 years contract but I heard someone saying EE does have data usage 1TB per month. Not sure if their speed are good as PN or much the same but maybe ee are fastest speed in network for streaming NOWTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to