General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 15-Dec-20 02:08:03
Print Post

Re: Anyone beat this 10.3TB in 30 days

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

I suspect the OP is either another adslmax type, making up stories, or doesn't actually know what a TB is. Or started with a typo and now staying with it enjoying the furore.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 15-Dec-20 02:15:21
Print Post

[re: Newbie789] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Newbie789:
I know people around my area are using their cheap £10 3 sim deal powering up their office and restaurant wifi with a mesh setup....saving thousands of pounds each year from installing fibre....
None of that makes sense. Starting with what seems to be a fictional SIM deal and ending with an imaginary savings figure.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Tue 15-Dec-20 08:03:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by gary333:
Reminds me of Del Boy and the Peckham Spring smile. Cannot believe it’s been 28 years. Some rateable value customers in certain areas could have a meter as they are/were allowed to return if the meter didn’t save money.
We swapped to a metered water supply decades ago. With a three-bedroom house with a D-level rateable value and just the two of us it made sense. It makes even more sense as my wife has since died.

I could still revert to unmetered if I wished. Perhaps if I suddenly acquired a harem, which would only occur if I became as rich as Sir Philip Green! At which juncture the water costs would be of little consequence.

It is only when the ownership of the house changes that the option to swap back is removed.

Water meters do indeed make sense for most people. I was paying £48 in my last band B house, yet in my current band D house I only pay £35. I could have changed to a meter in my previous house but I liked the idea that I could use what I wanted, especially in summer for the kids.

However, your point about returning to unmetered is not necessarily true as it totally depends on your water supplier. For example in Yorkshire the grace period is 2 years, in other areas it’s only 12 months. Within Yorkshire the property will also revert to a meter upon the transfer of ownership of the property even if the owner chose to stay on RV. In some areas you cannot revert at all, but if you kick off enough you might get the “assessed” charges applied, which are usually cheaper than metered for heavy users.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lordmetro
(newbie) Tue 15-Dec-20 11:09:20
Print Post

[re: Newbie789] [link to this post]

This is just sad. I use Three 5G on my ZTE MC801 and with speeds of 450/60 and always end up using about 1TB a month (in my old house, I could get 800/120 using the same setup - I see the MC801 has a 10Gig ethernet but I'm yet to see that over 5G, maybe in the future lol). You must have been the user who recently caused my local mast to be down for three days.

You do know that most Three masts are on a 1gbps VM link and upgraded 5G masts are on a 10gbps VM link. Saturating the connection will only cause issues for other users and in the terms and conditions - you'll find if they expect your usage to be used for commercial purposes, you're gonna be booted onto a business plan or off the network.

I'm happy that Three hasn't capped users but people like yourself make me want Three to do so. No other unlimited network provider offers a non-capped plan, you'll see that EE is a measly 600GB (used to be 1TB), unless you go to EE Business at £32/mo. O2 is capped at 600GB. Vodafone isn't capped but their 5G coverage is pretty lackluster round here and Smarty is also 1TB limited.

I wouldn't be surprised if increased people jump ship on unlimited data plans congesting Three's backhaul - they should put a FUP for this. I know most town centres - Three's network is barely capable of getting 1Mbps on a full signal 4G mast.

I'm quite lucky to be able to get FTTP from BT and Hyperoptic and I am also in a VM cabled area - but Three's 5G is great value, £5/mo after cashback - what's not to love. 500Mbps from the likes of BT/VM/Hyperoptic is all over £40/mo. Obviously I've had to purchase the ZTE router from Germany for £180 - but I expect to stay with Three as it's pretty decent.

Edited by lordmetro (Tue 15-Dec-20 11:17:58)

Standard User craski
(committed) Tue 15-Dec-20 11:18:34
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

10TB via 4G is absolute madness, and more fool Three for not booting this person off. Just this one person could be taking up resources (from the sounds of it for almost 24 hours per day) and degrading the service for everyone else connected on the same bands on that cell.

Completely agree, Three really should be addressing behavior like this.

Zen Business FTTC BQM
Talk Talk Business FTTC BQM
Standard User Anonymous1337
(newbie) Tue 15-Dec-20 14:25:57
Print Post

[re: craski] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by craski:
Completely agree, Three really should be addressing behaviour like this.
Assuming the opening poster isn't trolling, which could be likely - perhaps Three decide to boot people based on users in the areas.

If they're the only user in the area of any note, then perhaps Three's traffic management system (which I assume if it were any good would monitor at the cell/sector level), doesn't flag it or care until others start joining in the area and get abysmal performance.

Also, who is the say Three don't shape peoples connections - so if other users do start joining on the OP's sector, he's probably at the lowest end of the IP priortisation list.
Standard User neagle
(newbie) Wed 30-Dec-20 12:05:01
Print Post

[re: Anonymous1337] [link to this post]

Vodafone do have a cap on their unlimited (soft/hard doesn't matter its there), it was originally 3TB but since has been increased to 9TB since I hit the cap when they first brought out their unlimited sim.

They basically cut the link when it hit 3TB, so I'd technically call that a hard cap not a soft cap lol, but that was were the complaint was for me... I don't always use that much... but just generally depends on the month.

I'm right next to a football stadium so I'm hooked off the 4G there and get about 30 up and 200 down - i push all my streaming and downloads of this 4G and the Vodafone fixed line is just purely for gaming over an Sophos XG firewall smile

Edited by neagle (Wed 30-Dec-20 12:06:08)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to