General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Carvup
(newbie) Thu 18-Feb-21 10:40:12
Print Post

Re: Best 4g setup?

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

On cellmapper the 3 nearest masts are- Id 7601, 8120 and 10724. I’d 2588 is sat out in the estuary but we have clear line of sight to that
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Feb-21 11:10:15
Print Post

[re: Carvup] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Carvup:
On cellmapper the 3 nearest masts are- Id 7601, 8120 and 10724. I’d 2588 is sat out in the estuary but we have clear line of sight to that
From these Vodafone eNB numbers, I see you are in the west coast of Scotland?

I'm pretty sure there isn't a mast in the sea, and given these masts have red icons they are automatically computed, rather than green icons which are positioned by people. They are calculated by people running the Cellmapper app on an Android phone. The auto compute can be accurate if enough data is captured, but can be way out (e.g. the ones in the sea !).

Clicking through all 4 physical operators (EE, Vodafone, Three and O2) there is not much data for your area sadly.

EE are only transmitting 4G on Band 3 (1800 MHz). Vodafone are using both Band 1 (2100 MHz) and Band 20 (800 MHz). Three and O2 have no local data.

I suspect you won't see much difference in speed from your B525 modem or using a modern phone connected to a router such as an ASUS. Not much capacity has been deployed, and typically that will be down to the population numbers in the area.

The detected Vodafone and EE masts are in quite different locations, so quite an impact of Virgin Media's change of host network.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Thu 18-Feb-21 11:15:52)

Standard User Carvup
(newbie) Thu 18-Feb-21 20:01:47
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Ok, so new EE sim arrived. Speed from 12 to 50 depending on time of day. Using a usb tether to old Asus router and a Galaxy s10
Perfect for us
New Asus 86U arriving tomorrow as it has usb3 not 2 like the old 56U

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Feb-21 20:46:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by Carvup:
Ok, so new EE sim arrived. Speed from 12 to 50 depending on time of day. Using a usb tether to old Asus router and a Galaxy s10
Perfect for us
New Asus 86U arriving tomorrow as it has usb3 not 2 like the old 56U

Sounds good smile smile

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 19-Feb-21 00:21:12
Print Post

smile

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.
Standard User hoopla
(committed) Fri 19-Feb-21 10:11:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Edit: I'm assuming it's not the Utility Warehouse EE offer.
Is the UW offer any different from a normal EE sim? It seems quite good value for money.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 19-Feb-21 10:45:18
Print Post

[re: hoopla] [link to this post]

It depends on what the contract/capacity/throughput between EE and UW is. Just like all virtual providers. Think O2/GiffGaff, Three/Smarty.

I think the OP now has native EE.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 19-Feb-21 10:46:23)

Standard User hoopla
(committed) Fri 19-Feb-21 10:58:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It depends on what the contract/capacity/throughput between EE and UW is. Just like all virtual providers. Think O2/GiffGaff, Three/Smarty.

I think the OP now has native EE.
The GiffGaff and Smarty products are labelled Giffgaff, not O2, Smarty, not Three.
The UW product is specifically called an EE sim, not a UW sim, so I would have expected it to be an EE sim, but I have no actual experience.
If it is the full EE product and 5G capable, it is very tempting.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to