General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Nitro93
(regular) Tue 09-Mar-21 21:18:10
Print Post

Three 5G Broadband

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I have moved to a flat where a Three 5G mast has just been installed on the main road opposite.

I'm contemplating getting the 5G CPE Pro 2 (prefer to have my own hardware rather than a locked version) but when I go to order from Three they only offer the contracts with the CPE Pro included and not on a SIM only basis.

Could I technically just purchase a data SIM from them to get past this? Are there really any other advantages to ordering it as a 5G Broadband plan (static IP, better support etc)?

Cheers!
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Mar-21 21:40:05
Print Post

Re: Three 5G Broadband

[re: Nitro93] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Nitro93:
Hi all,

I have moved to a flat where a Three 5G mast has just been installed on the main road opposite.

I'm contemplating getting the 5G CPE Pro 2 (prefer to have my own hardware rather than a locked version) but when I go to order from Three they only offer the contracts with the CPE Pro included and not on a SIM only basis.

Could I technically just purchase a data SIM from them to get past this? Are there really any other advantages to ordering it as a 5G Broadband plan (static IP, better support etc)?
Just get yourself a regular 5G sim (for a phone) and source your 5G router separately, ongoing costs will be a lot cheaper and no down sides to the service
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 10-Mar-21 00:46:30
Print Post

As dect says, except get the Unlimited phone SIM Choose from the three options on this page: http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones?id...[E]&utm_term=three_simonly&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQiA1pyCBhCtARIsAHaY_5d5epXHDkHxLJmKSmMGGeWG0p7qsfbceWPUbtfE1PAbpyHEpiyG1f0aAuS2EALw_wcB&aidset=1

The difference between them is just the minimum term.

PS: Please excuse the link layout. It contains [E] which completely screws the "blueing" whether as a plain post or within a url/url format.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Nitro93
(regular) Wed 10-Mar-21 17:16:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Super interesting though with the price difference between dedicated data sims and the phone sims. Is there literally no limitation or difference in features at all? Are they just priced higher for marketing purposes?

Would the phone SIM have CGNAT and the data sim not for example?

Edited by Nitro93 (Wed 10-Mar-21 17:16:58)

Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 10-Mar-21 17:55:47
Print Post

Would the phone SIM have CGNAT and the data sim not for example?
No difference, CGNAT is dependant on the APN you use.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Mar-21 18:27:46
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
No difference, CGNAT is dependant on the APN you use.
I have seen some reports that CGNAT appears on both APN's, which may be worth testing if this is critical. (As Three was the only provider offering a real IPv4 for consumer contracts)

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Nitro93
(regular) Wed 10-Mar-21 19:49:29
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I ran a test on an old mifi device, changing the APN to 3internet and it gave me an IPv4, but I guess my worry is that it could be a lottery and port forwarding is something i'm likely going to need.
Standard User CJ8
(member) Thu 11-Mar-21 20:45:50
Print Post

If you already have a 3 contract you can get a proper (mobile) broadband sim for £19 on a 24m contract at http://www.three.co.uk/existing-customer-offers which includes a 4G Huawei B535 router which you could sell to offset some the cost of a 5G CPE Pro 2.

The same package is £22 for new customers, but the postcode check says not available at my postcode and redirects to mifi devices whereas I had no problem buying it from the existing customer offer page.

I bought this in December when it was only £17 a month and I'm using the sim in a 5G CPE Pro 2. As far as I know my connection (via the 3internet APN) does not have CGNAT. The WAN IP address in the router interface is the same as my external IP address, and I can tracert to that IP address in 1 hop.

Edited by CJ8 (Thu 11-Mar-21 20:46:48)

Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Thu 11-Mar-21 21:14:14
Print Post

I recently ran some experiments with 4G using the 3internet APN, I only got a proper IP address once, all the other times I could not ping my modem from outside the Three network. The IP address changed fairly frequently.

Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Thu 11-Mar-21 21:18:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

You can get Three unlimited for an effective price of £14.25 per month on a 12 month contract.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mobiles/cheap-sim-...

Standard User Nitro93
(regular) Thu 11-Mar-21 21:44:09
Print Post

[re: CJ8] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by CJ8:
If you already have a 3 contract you can get a proper (mobile) broadband sim for £19 on a 24m contract at http://www.three.co.uk/existing-customer-offers which includes a 4G Huawei B535 router which you could sell to offset some the cost of a 5G CPE Pro 2.

The same package is £22 for new customers, but the postcode check says not available at my postcode and redirects to mifi devices whereas I had no problem buying it from the existing customer offer page.

I bought this in December when it was only £17 a month and I'm using the sim in a 5G CPE Pro 2. As far as I know my connection (via the 3internet APN) does not have CGNAT. The WAN IP address in the router interface is the same as my external IP address, and I can tracert to that IP address in 1 hop.

Yep already a Three customer so may give them a ring and see what they can do for me!

How are you finding the CPE Pro 2 speed and performance wise? Does it have VPN settings? Thinking I might be able to use a static IP VPN with port forwarding for IP consistency but it'd be good to know!

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
I recently ran some experiments with 4G using the 3internet APN, I only got a proper IP address once, all the other times I could not ping my modem from outside the Three network. The IP address changed fairly frequently.

Interesting, would you say the type of SIM matters in this regard? A phone SIM vs a Data SIM?

Cheers!

Edited by Nitro93 (Thu 11-Mar-21 21:45:48)

Standard User CJ8
(member) Thu 11-Mar-21 23:46:30
Print Post

How are you finding the CPE Pro 2 speed and performance wise? Does it have VPN settings? Thinking I might be able to use a static IP VPN with port forwarding for IP consistency but it'd be good to know!
It's fast and stable for my usage. It looks a bit basic on the router side, but I don't need anything particularly advanced. I was using a BT Smart Hub 2 before and it's a step up from that.

It has the option to enter VPN settings for a PPTP or L2TP client, but I haven't tested that, the only VPN I use is a corporate one installed directly on a laptop.

It also has the option to set up DDNS from DynDNS.org or No-IP.com if that's of any interest.

I couldn't get bridge mode to work and ended up having to factory reset it, but that might be my own inability to set it up properly. I've read conflicting reports of whether it actually supports bridge mode or not, but the interface has the option.

I have no complaints about the speed compared with my 34/6 FTTC line. I just did this 240Mbps test over wifi using an iPhone 12. The tower is about 1km away, with only a large conifer tree blocking direct line of sight to the mobile antennas.
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/16155056053...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to