Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

These posts have been archived and can no longer be replied to or modified.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User _ben
(member) Mon 26-Nov-07 19:51:40
Print Post

Homeplug AV through RCD

[link to this post]

Hi

I'd like to give powerline ethernet a try, but the part of the house I'd like connected is on a different fusebox, so the signal would have to go through 2 RCD fuseboxes. Has anyone tried this sort of thing? Did it work? In a previous job I had to measure the attenuation of various parts of the mains distribution system at the sort of frequencies used by Homeplug, and I seem to remember RCD fuseboxes provided quite a bit of attenuation.

Ben
Standard User pitnicker
(knowledge is power) Mon 26-Nov-07 21:20:39
Print Post

Re: Homeplug AV through RCD

[re: _ben] [link to this post]

I take it you want the signal to go through 2 RCD's, rather than along busbars in RCD equipped fuseboards?

I have no direct experience of this, but my guess would be that if it did work, it would be poor. I would try borrowing a pair to try first.

=======================================
Everything below the line above is my sig
[Notice: Private mail is turned on, but anything received by these means can and will be published]
Standard User _ben
(member) Mon 26-Nov-07 21:50:54
Print Post

[re: pitnicker] [link to this post]

Yes, there are two separate RCD fuseboxes in different places, so the signal will have to go out through one until it reaches a common point in the wiring and then back in through the other one. Its probably effectively the same as two separate houses. I've dug out the attenuation measurements for an RCD fusebox, and over the range of frequencies used by Homeplug AV (2-28 MHz) it looks OK at the lower end, but the attenuation is pretty bad toward the higher end. I'm not optimistic, I think you're right about trying to borrow a pair first.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User CooLix
(member) Wed 28-Nov-07 13:10:32
Print Post

I have 3 of the 85mbps flavour of these.

I have one in my study, one in my lounge and one in my garage. The two that are in the study and lounge, I get near max speed.

The signal to the one in the garage goes through the main house ring main RCD and then through the garage ring main RCD. I lose about 20mbps for the one in the garage compared to the one in the lounge.

Rgrds

Lix

Using Be Pro product.
Standard User _ben
(member) Wed 28-Nov-07 16:53:13
Print Post

[re: CooLix] [link to this post]

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of information I was after. Its only for ~6Mbps ADSL, so I can afford to lose some speed. I'll give it a go and report back.
Standard User ToneDeaf
(regular) Wed 28-Nov-07 19:50:07
Print Post

Devolo claim on their website FAQ section that their homeplug devices are able to cross couple over phases on the same 3 phase system. Unsure what the attenuation would be by this method.
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Nov-07 21:52:20
Print Post

[re: ToneDeaf] [link to this post]

Tried that on a site wired for 3 phases - using Devolo Units.

Worked fine (top speed) whilst on the same phase.

Got nothing on another phase, connected through very modern RCD fuseboxes.
(The second unit was in an outhouse - recently re-wired with armoured cable)

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Standard User shtu
(regular) Thu 29-Nov-07 15:23:18
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

As it's a house (i'm assuming), there's a fairly good chance that the whole building is on a single phase, although there are two fuseboxes they may simply be cascaded off the same incoming supply. A good poke around the fuseborad (not literally) will reveal all.

My garage is a good bit away fro the house on an armourde cable with a second fusebox (real wire fuses though) and they work fine in this situation.
Standard User _ben
(member) Thu 29-Nov-07 17:22:55
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

I'm pretty sure its a single phase. When the extension was added it got its own fusebox, but the supply was almost certainly taken from the main house supply. Plus when you turn the electric shower on in the extension, the lights dim in the main house, which is a bit of a giveaway (the house is on a long and rather old overhead supply).
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Nov-07 20:27:15
Print Post

My post was specifically about a building (not a house) which is wired for and uses all 3 phases.

I have no trouble with the Devolo units here at home on a single phase.

Standard User shtu
(regular) Fri 30-Nov-07 13:53:00
Print Post

I had a look at home last night, and my test in the garage was through 2 RCDs, one in the main fusebox, and one in the garage fusebox.

I reckon you'll have no trouble.
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Dec-07 00:20:07
Print Post

That is encouraging to know. (as I think it may well be time to upgrade the fuseboxes here at home).

Standard User _ben
(member) Fri 14-Dec-07 16:55:59
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

I ended up getting the Solwise PL-200AV Push (the white one with the button) after discovering that the normal PL-200AV (the small blue one) has been discontinued. I won't get a chance to connect a PC until next week, but the powerline light on the Push changes colour from red to orange to green to indicate the speed of the link (<40Mbps, 40-105Mbps, >105Mbps). I get a green light, with 5 rooms and 2 RCD fuseboxes in between the units. WiFi an DECT cordless phones don't work at all over the same path. I'm pretty impressed - I'll report back with actual file transfer speeds later.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to