Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 27-Oct-09 04:20:18
Print Post

Re: Adding a wireless access point...please help!!!

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

your question emphasizes the point - when configuring tech, details matter; especially when you're a newbie.

for instance, all the instructions state, "take the MAC address printed on the bottom of the Netgear unit."

well, guess what: the the MAC address on screen sometimes does not match up with the one printed. Lesson learned #1 - you have to be aware of this discrepancy can occur, and then #2, which one do you take?

that's why I said what I said. Even experts have to start from the beginning.

-TA
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Oct-09 19:03:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
your question emphasizes the point - when configuring tech, details matter; especially when you're a newbie.
You missed the real point: Anyone following instructions supplied by Anonymous posters is asking for trouble.
Standard User john2007
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Oct-09 19:12:00
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Another point is how does one know the level of understanding or knowledge of the poster asking for help. The responder has very little to go on when deciding on the level of detail to include.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Oct-09 18:26:09
Print Post

[re: johncarroll1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by johncarroll1:
Hi All

I've purchased a Netgear DGN2000 Wireless N Router and a Netgear WN802T Wireless Access Point.

I'm pulling my hair out!!

I need to be able to basically add the WN802T to the DGN2000 wirelessly (no cabling).
Does anybody have any step by step guides on how to achieve this?

It's been driving me mad, my laptop can detect the Access Point perfectly but i need to get the Access Point to talk to my main DGN2000 router wirlessly..basically extending the coverage.

The DGN2000 and WN802T are within range of each other, only a couple of rooms away. It's primarily to boost my connection to the other end of the house which should work.
Hi, on reading the specifications for the Netgear WN802T RangeMax NEXT Wireless Access Point, this wireless access point must be connected to the main router via Ethernet cable, it will not operate as a repeater.

The RangeMax NEXT Wireless Access Point connects to any router to extend your network.

http://www.firenet.co.uk
Firenet BT MAX 8Mbps. Sync 8128 Kbps. Exchange DSLAM=TSTC=Texas Instruments.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ router uses Texas Instruments AR7 Chipset
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 Dual SSID ADSL2+ wireless Router
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 30-Oct-09 07:02:31
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

you might want to recheck your source(s). the wn802t-200 manual clearly states on pg 60 of 78, "configuring repeater with wireless client association" is available. that same documentation however, conspiciously omits any mention of specific security that can be used.

this manual can be found on the netgear support site under wn802t-200.

-TA
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Oct-09 09:59:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
you might want to recheck your source(s). the wn802t-200 manual clearly states on pg 60 of 78, "configuring repeater with wireless client association" is available. that same documentation however, conspiciously omits any mention of specific security that can be used.

this manual can be found on the netgear support site under wn802t-200.

-TA
Hi, thanks for the correction, I could not find any reference to repeater mode when I looked previously, now I see it in the WN802T user manual.

Chapter 5
Configuring Repeater with Wireless Client Association
In this mode, the WN802T will operate as a Repeater only, and send all traffic to the remote
wireless access point. You must enter the MAC address (physical address) of the remote wireless access point.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/list/kw/#s=eyJzZiI...

http://www.firenet.co.uk
Firenet BT MAX 8Mbps. Sync 8128 Kbps. Exchange DSLAM=TSTC=Texas Instruments.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ router uses Texas Instruments AR7 Chipset
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 Dual SSID ADSL2+ wireless Router
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 07-Nov-09 11:27:07
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Right. You'll also note that section lacks any security options. It just says make sure you enter identical settings as your router. I've never seen such shoddy documentation. Very frustrating...

-TA
Standard User Thomas_Anderson
(newbie) Wed 02-Dec-09 12:41:10
Print Post

Update: IT WORKS!

Set up:
1) DG834GUv5 wireless ADSL router (supplied by Optus) with wi-fi disabled.
2) Access Point 1- WN802Tv2, firmware 3.1.1 connected to DG834GUv5 via ethernet cable; wireless bridging & repeating- pt to pt bridge w/ WPA security!
3) Access Point 2- WN802Tv2, firmware 3.1.1 connected to AP1 wirelessly; wireless bridging & repeating- pt to pt bridge w/ WPA security!

Notable:
-As a previous post advised AP1 MUST be connected via ethernet to the ADSL router. It could be any ADSL router- DGN 2000 included. But currently no Netgear ADSL routers support WPA security over WDS when connected to any 1 access point offered by netgear, including the WG602v4 and WN802Tv2 with the latest firmware.
-To have WPA security over WDS, you must have 2 APs, ie., 2 WG602v4's or 2 WN802Tv2's. Again no ADSL router netgear has at this time will support WPA security over WDS with only 1 AP.
-Both APs have wireless client association enabled too as part of the configuration present in the latest firmware (v3.1.1) so clients can connect to whichever signal is strongest.
-I reserved IPs for the APs on the ADSL router; on AP1, the DHCP client is enabled, AP2 I kept it disabled and manually assigned the details to reservation on the ADSL router.

Email me for more configuration details if you are interested.

-TA

Edited by Thomas_Anderson (Wed 02-Dec-09 21:54:55)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 20-Dec-09 19:06:40
Print Post

[re: Thomas_Anderson] [link to this post]

Thank you to the Anonymous poster for the 25-Oct-09 6:57:43 post. I would have never got my two routers connected without this post. I have a Netgear DGN2000 and a WN802T-200NAS. They are connected wirelessly (only). Now my wireless clients can connect to either device. All clients can also acces my Netgear ReadyNAS DUO, which is connected via ethernet cable to the WN802T.

One note. On the most current firmware of the WN802T you have to hit the 'edit' button to access the input to enter the DGN2000's MAC address.

Again, thank you.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 17-Mar-10 11:25:30
Print Post

HI! I followed exactly all the steps, which are the same posted by Netgear in a document in their KB and, still, can't get things working. I've got a DGN2000 and a WN802T-200. Both in the latest firmware. But they do not see each other. How can I test if the AP wireless is working properly?
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to