Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User johncarroll1
(newbie) Wed 19-Aug-09 17:08:03
Print Post

Adding a wireless access point...please help!!!

[link to this post]

Hi All

I've purchased a Netgear DGN2000 Wireless N Router and a Netgear WN802T Wireless Access Point.

I'm pulling my hair out!!

I need to be able to basically add the WN802T to the DGN2000 wirelessly (no cabling).
Does anybody have any step by step guides on how to achieve this?

It's been driving me mad, my laptop can detect the Access Point perfectly but i need to get the Access Point to talk to my main DGN2000 router wirlessly..basically extending the coverage.

The DGN2000 and WN802T are within range of each other, only a couple of rooms away. It's primarily to boost my connection to the other end of the house which should work.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 19-Aug-09 22:33:54
Print Post

Re: Adding a wireless access point...please help!!!

[re: johncarroll1] [link to this post]

I imagine you're expecting to use WDS to do this. (Wireless distribution system).

Do both devices support WDS ? Check their data sheets.

If not, you're screwed.

If they do, turn off the security and set each one up to use the other's MAC as it's WDS buddy.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
(newbie) Thu 20-Aug-09 08:38:52
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Does this mean i will have to use MAC Access list for anyone that wants to connect to the network? if so that sucks. Can you do WDS alongside WEP or WPA to secure the wireless network?

How does WDS actually work i hear of something called a pin..but doesn't make much sense.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User john2007
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 20-Aug-09 08:45:18
Print Post

Might be worth your while to read this wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Distribution_S...

I have no idea of its accuracy as I know nothing about WDS.
(newbie) Thu 20-Aug-09 09:26:35
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Thanks both units support WDS, but does anybody have a step-by-step guides on how to setup WDS.

What's this PIN thing?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 21-Aug-09 16:25:47
Print Post

Re: Adding a wireless access point...please help!!

in general setting up WDS involves putting the MAC of the other access point in the setup of each. I don't believe WDS supports anything other than WEP and I would recommend trying it without security first.

The exact pages you have to go to will vary by device, so perhaps RTFM ?

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sat 22-Aug-09 13:55:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by johncarroll1:
Hi All

I've purchased a Netgear DGN2000 Wireless N Router and a Netgear WN802T Wireless Access Point.

I need to be able to basically add the WN802T to the DGN2000 wirelessly (no cabling).

It's been driving me mad, my laptop can detect the Access Point perfectly but i need to get the Access Point to talk to my main DGN2000 router wirlessly..basically extending the coverage.

The DGN2000 and WN802T are within range of each other, only a couple of rooms away. It's primarily to boost my connection to the other end of the house which should work.
Hi, this 3Com pdf might help you with configuring your Netgear WN802T-200 wireless access point.

www.3com.com/other/pdfs/products/en_US/104108.pdf

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/list/kw/#s=eyJzZiI...

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/wirelesstips.aspx

http://www.firenet.co.uk
Firenet BT MAX 8Mbps. Sync 8128 Kbps. Exchange DSLAM=TSTC=Texas Instruments.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ router uses Texas Instruments AR7 Chipset
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 Dual SSID ADSL2+ wireless Router
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 25-Oct-09 06:57:43
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Not to start a flame war, but honestly do the participants in this thread really know how to set up WDS? The answers here are terse and borderline flippant...

This is what I've learned:
Configuring WDS btwn the DGN2000 and WN802T-200 so that you have wireless client association (meaning the DGN2000 AND WN802T-200 can connect WIRELESSLY with your computer or iphone - ideal if you want to eg., extend your signal to 2 floors and your house is made of concrete) requires the following (BTW, pt-pt/multi-pt bridging does NOT support wireless client association with the DGN2000; meaning you can only connect to the DGN2000 via ethernet in either bridging mode):

1) start by setting up your DGN2000 basic wireless settings with your preferred SSID and NO security (i'm assuming readers know how to do this).

2) connect to your DGN2000 wirelessly. Now, on to the advanced wireless settings - on the DGN2000, go to advanced wireless settings > select "WDS" > click on check box "Enable Wireless Bridging & Repeating" > click on radio button "Repeater with Wireless Client Association" > enter MAC address of WN802T-200 found on bottom on of unit.

3) now to configure your WN802T-200. Physically connect your computer to the WN802T-200 via ethernet, then go to advanced wireless bridging > click on check box "Repeater with Wireless Client Association" > enter MAC address of DGN2000 found on bottom on of unit (verify this is the correct MAC address as listed on the DGN2000 screen in step #1; if the address printed does not match the one listed on the screen, then enter the one on screen).

4) duplicate your basic wireless settings previously set on the DGN2000 on your WN802T-200. Remember, only the SSID and NO security should be entered at this point. Make sure the channel setting is identical too. You want to do this after configuring the advanced wireless settings on your WN802T-200, just in case the connect gets broken btwn the WN802T-200 and you as a newbie can't get back into the admin page w/o calling netgear.

5) Test wireless connectivity by disconnecting the WN802T-200 from your computer and place it where you want the WN802T-200 to permanently reside. You want to connect w/o security to verify wireless connection btwn the 2 devices work. If they do, you can now set your security settings first on the WN802T-200 then on the DGN2000; that way you can maintain a wireless connection to your WN802T-200 throughout this process and make subsequent security changes without having to physically attach the ethernet cable to the WN802T-200.

5a) I have confirmed with Netgear Senior Tech Support WEP over WDS works. So, you can set your 64- or 128-bit WEP network key first on your WN802T-200, then on your DGN2000, and then remove and reconnect to the wireless network on your computer. You're good to go at this point and can stop here. But as we all know, WEP is obsolete as it can be cracked in under 5min. MAC filtering and hiding SSID broadcast aren't effective deterrents either. The better option would be to use WPA/WPA2 over WDS.

5b) WPA+WPA2 over WDS: Now this is where it gets nebulous. I don't know if this security will work; it would be ideal if it did. I spent the last 8 days with Netgear trying to get a WN802T-200 to work with WPA over WDS and still no joy. The Netgear Senior Tech helping me says he has actually seen WPA over WDS done with the DGN2000 and WN802T-200 and thinks I have a defective WN802T-200, so I'm waiting to get another unit shipped from Netgear. I will update this post as soon as I hear from him and we actually try it out.

So there you have it. Hope this helps.
-THOMAS ANDERSON
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Oct-09 08:19:24
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

3) now to configure your WN802T-200. Physically connect your computer to the WN802T-200 via ethernet, then go to advanced wireless bridging > click on check box "Repeater with Wireless Client Association" > enter MAC address of DGN2000 found on bottom on of unit (verify this is the correct MAC address as listed on the DGN2000 screen in step #1; if the address printed does not match the one listed on the screen, then enter the one on screen).
Why bother with the MAC on the bottom of the unit? Just enter the one on the screen.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 27-Oct-09 04:10:26
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

sure. in fact, it's best if you get the mac address from the screen. on 2 of the modem/routers i purchased the MAC addresses were printed on the bottom incorrectly by 1 letter.

-TA
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 27-Oct-09 04:20:18
Print Post

your question emphasizes the point - when configuring tech, details matter; especially when you're a newbie.

for instance, all the instructions state, "take the MAC address printed on the bottom of the Netgear unit."

well, guess what: the the MAC address on screen sometimes does not match up with the one printed. Lesson learned #1 - you have to be aware of this discrepancy can occur, and then #2, which one do you take?

that's why I said what I said. Even experts have to start from the beginning.

-TA
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Oct-09 19:03:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
your question emphasizes the point - when configuring tech, details matter; especially when you're a newbie.
You missed the real point: Anyone following instructions supplied by Anonymous posters is asking for trouble.
Standard User john2007
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Oct-09 19:12:00
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Another point is how does one know the level of understanding or knowledge of the poster asking for help. The responder has very little to go on when deciding on the level of detail to include.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Oct-09 18:26:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by johncarroll1:
Hi All

Hi, on reading the specifications for the Netgear WN802T RangeMax NEXT Wireless Access Point, this wireless access point must be connected to the main router via Ethernet cable, it will not operate as a repeater.

The RangeMax NEXT Wireless Access Point connects to any router to extend your network.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 30-Oct-09 07:02:31
Print Post

you might want to recheck your source(s). the wn802t-200 manual clearly states on pg 60 of 78, "configuring repeater with wireless client association" is available. that same documentation however, conspiciously omits any mention of specific security that can be used.

this manual can be found on the netgear support site under wn802t-200.

-TA
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Oct-09 09:59:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
you might want to recheck your source(s). the wn802t-200 manual clearly states on pg 60 of 78, "configuring repeater with wireless client association" is available. that same documentation however, conspiciously omits any mention of specific security that can be used.

this manual can be found on the netgear support site under wn802t-200.

-TA
Hi, thanks for the correction, I could not find any reference to repeater mode when I looked previously, now I see it in the WN802T user manual.

Chapter 5
Configuring Repeater with Wireless Client Association
In this mode, the WN802T will operate as a Repeater only, and send all traffic to the remote
wireless access point. You must enter the MAC address (physical address) of the remote wireless access point.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/list/kw/#s=eyJzZiI...

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 07-Nov-09 11:27:07
Print Post

Right. You'll also note that section lacks any security options. It just says make sure you enter identical settings as your router. I've never seen such shoddy documentation. Very frustrating...

-TA
Standard User Thomas_Anderson
(newbie) Wed 02-Dec-09 12:41:10
Print Post

Update: IT WORKS!

Set up:
1) DG834GUv5 wireless ADSL router (supplied by Optus) with wi-fi disabled.
2) Access Point 1- WN802Tv2, firmware 3.1.1 connected to DG834GUv5 via ethernet cable; wireless bridging & repeating- pt to pt bridge w/ WPA security!
3) Access Point 2- WN802Tv2, firmware 3.1.1 connected to AP1 wirelessly; wireless bridging & repeating- pt to pt bridge w/ WPA security!

Notable:
-As a previous post advised AP1 MUST be connected via ethernet to the ADSL router. It could be any ADSL router- DGN 2000 included. But currently no Netgear ADSL routers support WPA security over WDS when connected to any 1 access point offered by netgear, including the WG602v4 and WN802Tv2 with the latest firmware.
-To have WPA security over WDS, you must have 2 APs, ie., 2 WG602v4's or 2 WN802Tv2's. Again no ADSL router netgear has at this time will support WPA security over WDS with only 1 AP.
-Both APs have wireless client association enabled too as part of the configuration present in the latest firmware (v3.1.1) so clients can connect to whichever signal is strongest.
-I reserved IPs for the APs on the ADSL router; on AP1, the DHCP client is enabled, AP2 I kept it disabled and manually assigned the details to reservation on the ADSL router.

Email me for more configuration details if you are interested.

-TA

Edited by Thomas_Anderson (Wed 02-Dec-09 21:54:55)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 20-Dec-09 19:06:40
Print Post

[re: Thomas_Anderson] [link to this post]

Thank you to the Anonymous poster for the 25-Oct-09 6:57:43 post. I would have never got my two routers connected without this post. I have a Netgear DGN2000 and a WN802T-200NAS. They are connected wirelessly (only). Now my wireless clients can connect to either device. All clients can also acces my Netgear ReadyNAS DUO, which is connected via ethernet cable to the WN802T.

One note. On the most current firmware of the WN802T you have to hit the 'edit' button to access the input to enter the DGN2000's MAC address.

Again, thank you.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 17-Mar-10 11:25:30
Print Post

HI! I followed exactly all the steps, which are the same posted by Netgear in a document in their KB and, still, can't get things working. I've got a DGN2000 and a WN802T-200. Both in the latest firmware. But they do not see each other. How can I test if the AP wireless is working properly?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 21-Mar-10 15:05:23
Print Post

I have the same...DGN2000 and WN802Tv2... after much fiddling i got it to work for about ten minutes then it disconnected again. maybe its channel conflicts?? anyone can help would be appreciated!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 22-Mar-10 05:54:09
Print Post

Okay guys finally i figured out what the problem was...

heres a breakdown of what you need to do.

firstly duplicate all settings from Router to access point.
then change the SSID on the access point to something other than your routers SSID
make sure you have them both on the same channel mines 8 but i dont think this matters.

Now the key is to change your speed to on your router to 130mbps - apparently using 300 actually uses 2 channels not just one which is why my AP kept dropping signal!

Now my DGN2000 and WN802Tv2 are communicating perfectly!

hope this helps anyone else out there as i have been tearing my hair out for about a 4 days over this.

Marcus
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 16-May-10 15:42:07
Print Post

Congrats... But when wirelessly connecting the DGN2000 wirelessly to the WN802Tv2, what is your security setting - WPA/WPA2 or WEP?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 16-Jul-10 20:07:58
Print Post

Shoo this has been kept me busy for a few days.

What I found is that the version of the firmware is important.

The firmware on the DGN2000 needs to be on version 1.1.1 the reason being is that with a higher firmware version I found it had a serious problem accepting the MAC address of the WN802Tv2 starting with C0:...etc

I had the firmware of the WN802Tv2 on version 3.1.3

The two units are talking well together now on WEP only, as soon as I try to up it to WAP or WAP2 it drops the connection, no success yet getting it up on WAP or WAP2 still trying, will let everyone know as soon as I have any luck and the settings used.

One other issue Iíve found between the DGN2000 and the WN802Tv2 is that I've not being able to get connections any better than 54Mbps with the bridge. As soon as I increase it higher than 54Mbps on both units it drops the connection. Any suggestions?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 21-Jul-10 17:55:00
Print Post

I have a DG834G and WN802Tv2 however I cannot connect them to talk to one another. I purchased the WN802Tv2 as a wireless access point to extend the wireless on the current router between two floors at work but I cannot get the WN802Tv2 to talk to the DG834G. If I connect wirelessly to the WN802Tv2 I get an IP addess and says i'm connected but I cannot surf the new. Been trying to get this configured for almost the past week. PLEASE HELP

THANKS
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 16-Jan-12 11:03:04
Print Post

please help, i have 2 dgn2000 routers. both running same firmware and talking together happily. but that is where it ends. d.h.c.p won't pass through. this is required to make my print server work. the setup did work before. d h c p needs to be turned off for this to work.
so i have
1 turned d hc p off on both routers.
2 set fixed IP addressees and masks on both routers to match d h c p server settings.
3 tr yed NAT both on and off
something is blocking the data and making the computer slow al though the D h c p works with the computer the print doesn't.

any suggestions welcome
thanks in advance
splatter.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 13-Feb-12 16:06:07
Print Post

Hi

I have a DGN2000 setup as a wireless access point to my Orange Bright Box router and all seems to be working well with the exception of anything with a fixed IP address.

All the static IP devices are plugged into the BrightBox and the DGN2000 is connected to the BrightBox via Powerline adaptors. The DGN2000 has a fixed IP address and DHCP is turned off on this router.

If I look at the attached devices the BrightBox only shows clients with IP addresses it has assigned.

If I look at the DGN2000 attached devices it shows everything with the static IP.

If I turn off the wireless on the DGN2000 I cannot connect to any of my static devices including the DGN2000 when I am in range of the BrightBox. Pinging the DGN2000 from a wireless client attached to the BrightBox gives host unreachable. Switching the DGN2000 wireless back on allows me to communicate with my static IP devices but only if I am within wireless range of the DGN2000.

This is driving me mad surely I should be able to roam between access points and see the static devices which should show as attached to the BrightBox or am I missing the obvious.

I am using the same SSID and WPA2 password. The two routers are running on separate channels 6 & 11.

Cheers

Paul
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-Feb-12 16:56:14
Print Post

Example IP addresses used? As they are lan side, it is safe to post them.

Also I presume you are plugging the Brightbox into the DGN2000 via one of the LAN ports?

Have you looked at wireless isolation as an issue?

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 14-Feb-12 12:26:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

BrightBox is 192.168.0.1
DGN2000 is 192.168.0.2 also tried 192.168.0.120

The BrightBox is connected to the internet and is running DHCP the DGN2000 is connected to the BrightBox via powerline adaptors using the LAN ports. LAN port 1 on the DGN2000 and LAN port 3 on the BrightBox.

I noticed last night that if I leave the device near the office router (BrightBox) for around three minutes it will work and I can see the other router.

Don't understand the part about wireless isolation.

Cheers

Paul
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to