Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Oct-11 23:04:24
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity + Wi-Fi speed issues

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

What DNS settings are you using for the android phone - try changing them to not be the home hub IP address but a public DNS googles are 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4 I think

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 15-Oct-11 21:48:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I've looked at the setting on my Android phone an under IP settings there's the following options...

Use static IP (tick y or n)
IP address (currently blank)
Gateway (currently blank)
Netmask (currently blank)
DNS 1
DNS 2

Now, DNS 1/2 were both blank but I've tried changing them to either 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4 - is that want you meant? It doesn't seem to have made any difference. Anything else on the above options that I should be changing?

Thanks again
Kevin.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 15-Oct-11 22:12:44
Print Post

If after changing to those values and sites display, it suggests DNS is not the issue then

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User prlzx
(committed) Sat 15-Oct-11 23:53:24
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Yes just to add that if the laptop never reports a wireless data rate above 65Mbps (or 72Mbps) it may be the OP laptop has a single antenna type (those are the maximum rates for single antenna in 'n' for long (or short) guard intervals respectively).

That would tally with upgrades to the router not improving things.

In that case while going from 20MHz channel width to 40MHz could increase the data rate to 135Mbps (150Mbps) but I'd normally strongly advise against that until a scan is done to see what is around

- 40Mhz can be a pretty greedy use spanning 7 or worse of the 13 channels (only try if it can be set it to use 1+3 or 11+13 else it wipes out most of the band if there are any surrounding networks
- if one has any legacy devices that are confused by 40MHz channels

But it may be better to get a USB or other add-on adapter with dual antennas. If doing that it is well worth spending a little extra on the a/b/g/n with full support for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.

As per other posters, to reiterate the the reported rates should be regarded as half-duplex signalling rates, including various overheads, so you do well to get ~ 1/3 of the reported figure in each direction.

prompt $P - Invalid drive specification - Abort, Retry, Fail? $G
prlzx on n e w n e t: ADSL2+ / 21CN at 2.5Mbps / 800k

Edited by prlzx (Sun 16-Oct-11 00:05:25)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 03-Apr-12 18:23:27
Print Post

[re: Subject_X] [link to this post]

I have been reading the posts as I also have BT infinity and have been experiencing slow speeds on wireless (from 5mb - 20mb) although getting 38mb on wired.
I have been on with the Bt help desk for weeks to try to sort this out with no result, and have actually been told to expect this as normal! 5mb on infinity...I dont think so.
Yesterday I did something simple after reading it somewhere. I unsubscribed from BTFON.
24 hours later I have 37.6 mb on wireless and 38.1 on wired.

Maybe this is worth a try for some.

Regards. x1buelligan.
Standard User leexgx
(learned) Sun 08-Apr-12 02:46:17
Print Post

The bt hub 3 they are quite unreliable (norm I set them to b/g mode and fixed Chan 1, 6 or 11 ) norm the first thing bt do when they remotely log into the hub to fix random WiFi issues (wifi not working after short time or unable to connect to the router with N turned on) I had to do this with an bt infinity customer (but they also had an WiFi homeplugs that extended the WiFi so bandwidth was split between them) they had 1mb ADSL before now 38mb so they unlikely notice limited max speed of 25mb per homeplug WiFi zone (i told them the hub was cap so they know about the limit )

but with fttc that you need N to get the full speed

you should be able to use an n300 cable router on the infinity box as that's all the bthub3 is using (but I have not tried an proper N router on infinity yet so not sure if you can use an cable router some one could post on that if you can )

faster faster

Edited by leexgx (Sun 08-Apr-12 02:47:50)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to