Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 24-Feb-11 11:42:14
Print Post

Re: linking 2 building using wifi & this hardware list + hel

[re: subaru_swift_kls] [link to this post]

also i can not see the wi-fi of the 2nd AP the CLIENT is this right

yes, if it's a client it is not advertising itself as an access point.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User subaru_swift_kls
(regular) Thu 24-Feb-11 11:57:46
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

cheers

just working out now the power of the set up as i do not want to be breaking any laws.

so i might have to set the power on the AP's as low ?, what do you think... ?

Now On BE There =

Speed.i.o Result

Speed Test Result

Broadband Quality Monitor

RIP Ukonline in jan 2011 frown i will miss you support & help.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 24-Feb-11 13:46:40
Print Post

if the stock antenna was +3 dBi and you've gone to +24 dBi then you probably should be dropping the output power by 21 dB so yes "low" would be likely (subject to performance).

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(regular) Thu 24-Feb-11 13:51:00
Print Post

thanks if i do will i lose much signal ?, as the range i want is only 200foot max.

& the ant are going a good 20ft high to see over some parts of the yard & a mini cab etc.

however i got all this hardware in the UK so is it not set up all ready for uk laws ?, or is it because i have them Big Ants on the rig ?.

cheers just want to play it safe & keep it in the law.

Now On BE There =

Speed.i.o Result

Speed Test Result

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 24-Feb-11 14:35:01
Print Post

as sold it is legal with its supplied antenna, which would probably do 200 ' outdoors line of sight.

you added a huge gain antenna, so need to reduce output correspondingly

take it down in steps and keep an eye on RSSI or sNR information on wireless devices

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
(regular) Thu 24-Feb-11 14:39:57
Print Post

ah right i am with you now, i will lower it as soon as i put the ants up.
& check the power on the pc's, just hope i have done it right as i hate waiting to find out.

thanks

Now On BE There =

Speed.i.o Result

Speed Test Result

Standard User trolleybus
(newbie) Thu 24-Feb-11 15:40:52
Print Post

IMHO you will never be able to achieve an acceptable service for four computers using a wireless link between two buildings. You can mess around for ages with different aerial arrangements and hardware but everything is doomed to failure. You would have to go up market considerably with the hardware which will run into many hundreds of pounds.

In any event communication between the buildings would surely require a telephone service, presumably off the PBX or at the very least a parallel extension, so there will be, or ought to be, a telephone wire between the two buildings. Use this wire to provide your data connection.

The hardware needed is called 100 Mbps VDSL converter [eg PLANET VC201A] which will enable both a voice and data services over a pair of telephone wires. At one end you connect the converter into the router with the converter at the end of the line hooked into a small hub or switch to provide a service to the four computers.

Similarly your voice circuit connects into the converter but at the other end you will need to connect into the converter the equivalent of a voice master socket.

I was presented with the same issue as yourself and intially tried all kinds of wireless solutions and while connection was possible, the speed simply wasn't good enough to support data entry onto the server in the main building. Currently I have a link between two buildings with this system and hang off of it a wireless extender to support four laptops and use the voice link to link into a VoIP output on the router. Also connect are a couple of VoIP phones into the hub. I have no performance issues at all.

It is an overhead telehone cable between the two buildings which was installed be a friendly Open Reach engineer on his day off; I am sure you could come to a similar arrangent.
(regular) Thu 24-Feb-11 15:47:54
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Many thanks for that info, as they asked me about a phone system just this morning.
However the company, who rents off a little unit near the weigh bridge office, is moving soon & they have a BT line. so I could get a ex BT bloke i know to move the line & maybe get adsl off the line too & just use this Wi-Fi stuff now & then as when it is up it is staying up for some time.

So i see where you are coming from mate, & i do like the idea of what you have said i will do my best as itís not my money but a new company on my books so i would like to do it right & keep the costs down for them.

but they donít mind spending a bit now & then to upgrade or move the BT across when the other company moves some time later this year, as they just need a pc rig setting up in the outer yard to get the small data from the weigh bridge.

Thanks

Kenny

Now On BE There =

Speed.i.o Result

Speed Test Result

Edited by subaru_swift_kls (Thu 24-Feb-11 15:49:11)

Standard User homer79
(newbie) Fri 25-Feb-11 19:38:30
Print Post

using 2 x 24dB antennas and those access points, i'm running a mile link very well.
(regular) Fri 25-Feb-11 20:12:15
Print Post

[re: homer79] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by homer79:
using 2 x 24dB antennas and those access points, i'm running a mile link very well.

sorry did you say you have the same ?, & do they link well ?.

Now On BE There =

Speed.i.o Result

Speed Test Result

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to