Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 21-Dec-11 16:57:50
Print Post

Re: Network cable tester advice

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Are you saying am doing it all wrong!! At one end of the cable I've used keystone IDC punch down jacks. But I must have a plug at the other end or else how do connect the keystone to my router? It's not functional unless I connect to a router right?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-Dec-11 17:21:17
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

You terminate the cable with keystone IDC punch down jacks at both ends, and then have a short patch cable from that socket to the router.

The advantage being the patch cable is the one the dog/hoover/child destroys then, not the infrastructure cable neatly hidden away

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User picky_user
(regular) Thu 22-Dec-11 15:02:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi
I used a generic punch down tool to punch down solid core cat5e cable onto these RJ45 modules.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-rj45-cat5e-jack-pun...

So I'm supposed to have two of these keystones on a cable. One end is connected to the router via patch cable and the other is connected to the computer using patch cable. Have I installed it correctly now? It's not made a difference it's still giving me 100MB why? I've made sure the individual conductors are pushed down as far as they will go on both keystones.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 22-Dec-11 16:39:04
Print Post

[re: picky_user] [link to this post]

Drag the two computers closer together and see if they can manage 1Gbps when using just a short patch cable.

You have double checked that the actual network cards can both do 1Gbps, and that this is enabled.

If a short pre-made cable works, then time to look at the cable you made, and what exact wiring plan you used. Also to use keystones you have to untwist the pairs, keeping those to a minimum of untwisting is important.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User picky_user
(regular) Thu 22-Dec-11 17:19:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I've used the B standard on both keystones as well as the other links that don't have this issue.
I read on the website you linked to the standard are the electrically the same so I assumed I'll get the same speed regardless which one I used. Is that not correct ?

Edited by picky_user (Thu 22-Dec-11 17:20:16)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to