Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cazgas63
(newbie) Wed 28-Dec-11 13:10:06
Print Post

Netgear DG834G V3 as wireless access point

[link to this post]

Hi
I am trying to use an old Netgear DG834G V3 as an access point. I am using a Buffalo WBMR-G54 as my main router both wired and wireless. I want to get a better wireless signal downstairs and at the back of my property.

Any information would be appreciated, I am a complete novice at networking, so please be patient with me.

Thanks
Neil
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 28-Dec-11 14:52:00
Print Post

Re: Netgear DG834G V3 as wireless access point

[re: cazgas63] [link to this post]

I don't know either of those devices but do this quite often with surplus ISP provided routers.

Try the following ...

Connect the Netgear to your PC directly - with nothing else connected. Access the user interface and then Turn Off DHCP server. Then give the Netgear a fixed IP address - just outside the range the Buffalo will allocate.

For example: Buffalo 1ill have 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.64 available to assign and will itself be 192.168.1.254 so fix the Netgear at 192.168.1.99

Save, Save and Save, then reboot.

Connect Netgear (port 1) to the Buffalo using a standard ethernet/RJ45 patch lead.

Connect to the Buffalo using a wired connection and then in a browser try to access the Netgear at 192.168.1.99 if that works you can talk to it "wired". The set up the Netgear's wireless as normal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User cazgas63
(newbie) Thu 29-Dec-11 06:31:23
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Hi Thanks
Tried that but couldn't talk to the netgear.
Thanks
For the suggestion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Dec-11 07:16:05
Print Post

You should be able to access the router using "http://192.168.0.1". If this doesn't work, trying doing a factory reset.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Our democracy is but a name. We vote? What does that mean?
It means that we choose between two bodies of real, though not avowed, autocrats.
We choose between Tweedledum and Tweedledee.
Helen Keller
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 29-Dec-11 10:37:40
Print Post

The principle should work - it is just a case of getting the IP addresses correct.

You may find that you need to change the default for the other router.

M H C

Standard User cazgas63
(newbie) Thu 29-Dec-11 12:56:48
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Did a factory rest, and with it still connected to the Buffalo I still could not get into it using http://192.168.0.1
If I connect the Netgear direct to ethernet on computer I can using http://192.168.0.1
Any ideas of what i should alter in Buffalo with regard to IP address?

Just a quick question, I am using the same lead to connect between Netgear and Buffalo that i am using between computer and Netgear, I assume that is ok?

Ps Just noticed that the Buffalo valid IP Range is 192.168.11.2 - 192.168.11.254, would that make any difference?

Thanks
Neil

Edited by cazgas63 (Thu 29-Dec-11 13:00:11)

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Dec-11 12:59:11
Print Post

If the buffalo is using the 192.168.1.* range then you won't see the netgear on 192.168.0.* because it is a different subnet. With the netgear connected directly you can change the IP address of the network to fall in the 192.168.1 range and then you should be able to see it when connected to the Buffalo.
Standard User cazgas63
(newbie) Thu 29-Dec-11 13:04:30
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Hi

Should i change the Ip on the Netgear to 192.168.11.*, will that help?
What number would you suggest, have edited previos post to give range of Buffalo

Thanks
Neil
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Dec-11 13:17:38
Print Post

That address range for the buffalo is unlikely to be an out of the box default so someone has presumably changed it.

But, given the buffalo is using 192.168.11 then yes, giving the Netgear an address in that allowed range should make it visible when connected to the buffalo. Try 192.168.11.99 as a start and see if it works.

Also, not doubting you but just double check it is not 192.168.1 as that would normally be what would be used (most routers default to either 192.168.0 or 192.168.1).
Standard User cazgas63
(newbie) Thu 29-Dec-11 13:25:34
Print Post

Changed it to http://192.168.11.99 and can now connect to it !!

How do I set up the wirless side of the Netgear so I can connect to it?

Sorry new to all this

Thanks Again for your help so far

Neil
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Dec-11 13:38:34
Print Post

The netgear will have a wireless settings option in the configuration interface.

Make sure it is set to at least WPA on security and set a password for the wireless. You may also want to change the SSID but it should work on the default if you don't want to. It may be necessary to change the channel if the default is overloaded but again it should work even without doing that.

Then just try connecting to the new wireless network from your laptop and see what happens. It should just work.
Standard User cazgas63
(newbie) Thu 29-Dec-11 13:48:24
Print Post

Which WPA would you suggest?
Should I change the SSID to the same as the Buffalo?

Set it up WPA-PSK, laptop asks for security code then starts to connect but just says aquirring network address
Thanks

Edited by cazgas63 (Thu 29-Dec-11 13:54:42)

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Dec-11 13:55:02
Print Post

Should work with the same SSID as the Buffalo as the laptop should attach to whichever is strongest. Go with WPA2 if everything supports it as it will give the best protection.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 29-Dec-11 14:06:43
Print Post

You seem to be getting there.

Use two different SSIDs to start with ... you can then prove connection to both. Then change one of them to match the other.

M H C

Standard User cazgas63
(newbie) Thu 29-Dec-11 14:12:09
Print Post

Have set it as WPA2 seems ok, my Iphone will connect, but my laptop sees the Netgear and the Buffalo, will only connect to the Buffalo. Just says aquiring Network address when trying to connect to Netgear
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Dec-11 14:27:23
Print Post

Try dropping it to WPA and see if that helps. Might also need to change the wireless channel as I have had problems with some laptops in the past on certain channels (oh and checking the wireless is setup for europe would be good as some countries have more channels available and therefore the router might support a channel that the laptop doesn't).
Standard User cazgas63
(newbie) Thu 29-Dec-11 14:45:26
Print Post

Have Changed it back to WPA-PSK and it seems to be working, also Ipad and Iphone all seem to connect.

Thanks For all your help and patience!!

Neil
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 29-Dec-11 14:46:15
Print Post

Try it with security turned OFF - that will prove you can get connected and an address allocated. Then re-enable security.

M H C

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Dec-11 15:23:53
Print Post

Excellent news. Sounds like you are set to go then. Only other advice would be to download something like inssider and see what channels are in use around you so that you can choose a free channel to maximise the connection.
Standard User cazgas63
(newbie) Thu 29-Dec-11 15:50:41
Print Post

Downloaded at present from my laptop its only picking up Buffalo and Netgear.

Netgear -40dB
Buffalo -65dB

What should i be looking for?
Would it be worth changing the channels to see if the signal gets any better?

Thanks
Neil
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 29-Dec-11 15:58:02
Print Post

You will not see transmissions from WAPs which have hidden SSIDs. inSSIDer will find those too.

M H C

Standard User cazgas63
(newbie) Thu 29-Dec-11 16:18:34
Print Post

Netgear is on channel 11 and Buffalo on channel 6
Is it worth changing them to see if signal improves?

What dB would you think is good?

Thanks
Neil
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Dec-11 16:38:17
Print Post

They are far enough apart that if there is nothing else in those ranges then it won't make any difference. Leave them as they are and only change if you think you are getting signal issues.
Standard User cazgas63
(newbie) Sat 31-Dec-11 06:11:50
Print Post

Hi

Well all seemed well to start with, did speedtest and was getting results averaging 6.0Mbps on Iphone, Ipad and Acer laptop all connected to Netgear with a ping of around 49ms. It suddenley slowed down on all of the above to about 0.2Mbps, ping still the same and Uplload is still consistent at 0.82Mbps(this hasn't changed at any point)
Looking at Inssider the signal remained the same at all times(well within a couple) -39.

I have tried changing security and even disabling it, but no difference.

Have you any ideas what may be causing this.

Thanks
Neil

PS Have now just tried speedtest at 6.20AM and without doing anything ping is 47ms, download 12.28Mbps and upload 0.81Mbps.

Edited by cazgas63 (Sat 31-Dec-11 06:24:50)

Standard User cazgas63
(newbie) Sat 31-Dec-11 19:42:07
Print Post

Just to let you know what is happening:

Was monitoring signal on Inssider 2 and when the the connection slowed down to a halt, noticed that suddenly a lot of BT signals and a plus net signal were all being picked up all on chammel 10, so i changed the Netgear channel to 1 and speed was back, so monitoring now to see if it continues.

Neil
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Jan-12 08:48:55
Print Post

Glad you sorted it. In the end it is a matter of monitoring the channels to see which are best in your area.
Standard User vimto_girl
(newbie) Wed 04-Jan-12 12:53:35
Print Post

The default Buffalo address range is 192.168.11.x

If you set the Netgear to a static IP of 192.168.11.99, the OP should set the router address range to 192.168.11.1 - 192.168.11.98.

Mysterious slow-downs commonly happen in a router-as-AP configuration due to conflict. Disconnect the cable between router and AP, powercycle them both, then switch them both on. After a few minutes, only then connect the cable. Works every time, unlike any other order or procedure. Do the same if ever you reboot or switch any device off/on or remove the cable.

InsSSider does not detect hidden SSIDs. In addition, unmodulated and non-WiFi interference, and the fact that the SNR you get depends not on the transmit beacon power of other networks, but on the amount of traffic, means looking at the channel graph is a poor way of selecting a channel. Cycling through channels one by one and observing the RSSI and its steadiness is the best way to use inSSider to select a channel.

If you select "non-overlapping" channels this does not mean the 2 devices are free from interference from each other around the house. The 802.11 transmit mask does not demand a steep roll-off after +/- 11Mhz. Multi-path causes constructive and destructive effects to signal strength, and moving closer to one device obviously causes a further imbalance to signal strength. Therefore very real decreases in SNR can be seen with consequent reductions in MCS values and throughput. If you stay connected to the closer AP however, this is not too much of a problem in practice.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 04-Jan-12 18:59:58
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vimto_girl:
InsSSider does not detect hidden SSIDs.
Says here it does wink http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28653/debunking-myths...

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User vimto_girl
(learned) Wed 04-Jan-12 20:12:37
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Who is he? Why should I care what he says?

If an SSID is not broadcast in the beacon from an AP, then inSSider will NOT be able to retrieve it. The information is simply not transmitted from the AP - you can consult the IEEE 802.11 standard if you don't believe me. When this is the case, some STA drivers will not even report the AP to the operating system if it is not associated with it, so there will be no network at all in inSSider. Most actually do report it, but in inSSIDer the SSID name will either be blank or say unknown. Try it yourself, version 1, version 2, it doesn't matter.

And the important point, if transmit beacons are disabled altogether from a closed-network enterprise AP, then inSSIDer will not show the network whatsoever, regardless of the STA or driver or OS used.

Edited by vimto_girl (Wed 04-Jan-12 20:14:14)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 04-Jan-12 20:55:12
Print Post

Because it contradicts what you're saying. Why not post a link to a 3rd party page corroborating your story?

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User vimto_girl
(learned) Wed 04-Jan-12 21:13:58
Print Post

Because it contradicts what you're saying. Why not post a link to a 3rd party page corroborating your story?
Anyone with a couple of computers and a wireless router can corroborate the facts. I wonder why you haven't tried it yet?

I did just now. I cleared all registry entries, and setup an AP not broadcasting SSID and associated with one computer. A laptop with a Realtek client running Win7 does not detect the network whatsoever using inSSIDer 2. A laptop with Atheros client running XP detects the network with the SSID name blank.

Aww, you believed everything you read on a website cos it had pictures and a name to it. Cute really.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 04-Jan-12 21:17:04
Print Post

Anyone with a couple of computers and a wireless router can corroborate the facts. I wonder why you haven't tried it yet?

I did just now. I cleared all registry entries, and setup an AP not broadcasting SSID and associated with one computer. A laptop with a Realtek client running Win7 does not detect the network whatsoever using inSSIDer 2. A laptop with Atheros client running XP detects the network with the SSID name blank.

Aww, you believed everything you read on a website cos it had pictures and a name to it. Cute really.
Because it works for me, that why I was after independent corroboration which I found wink

Standard User vimto_girl
(learned) Wed 04-Jan-12 21:28:05
Print Post

Because it works for me
Haha. You're either a liar. If not, then you have not tested it properly, and have left uncleared registry associations with that AP. If not this, then your AP is malfunctioning and is actually broadcasting the SSID in its transmit beacon. You should report it to the manufacturer immediately.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 04-Jan-12 21:31:42
Print Post

Because it works for me
Haha. You're either a liar. If not, then you have not tested it properly, and have left uncleared registry associations with that AP. If not this, then your AP is malfunctioning and is actually broadcasting the SSID in its transmit beacon. You should report it to the manufacturer immediately.
On the contrary, you should take up your issues with Metageek.

Standard User vimto_girl
(learned) Wed 04-Jan-12 21:56:30
Print Post

On the contrary, you should take up your issues with Metageek.
I wouldn't do anything so stupid.

Dear Metageek,
I select the option do not broadcast SSID on my AP. It is therefore broadcasting a blank SSID in its transmit beacons. Why does your program show the SSID field as blank?
Yours
A. Numpty

Edited by vimto_girl (Wed 04-Jan-12 23:18:43)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 04-Jan-12 22:10:57
Print Post

... nested quotes trimmed ...

Try this ...

http://www.metageek.net/forums/showthread.php?4610-n...

M H C

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 04-Jan-12 22:31:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
... nested quotes trimmed ...

Try this ...

And this
Tyler
MetaGeekster

Seeing hidden SSIDs only works sometimes, and only if you are on Windows Vista or 7.

Edited by BatBoy (Wed 04-Jan-12 23:23:12)

Standard User prlzx
(committed) Wed 04-Jan-12 22:44:14
Print Post

Re: Netgear DG834G V3 as wireless access point *DELETED*

Post deleted by prlzx
Standard User vimto_girl
(learned) Wed 04-Jan-12 23:14:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
Try this ...
Thank you MHC. By the way, Tyler is Tyler Adkisson, the guy who re-wrote inSSIDer to version 2.0. I think that's a pretty good 3rd party to corroborate the facts!

The fact is SSID can only be sniffed out by analyzing probe responses from the AP. This is not how inSSIDer functions, it simply monitors all the transmit beacons reported by the client card. If no SSID is broadcast, this field will be blank for some clients, and for others the beacons will be ignored completely and not passed on to inSSIDer in the first place.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to