Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User swayzak
(regular) Wed 25-Jan-12 12:54:28
Print Post

Re: Can wired network device speak to wireless device ?

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
"Most consumer routers support a total of eight connections, four via Wi-Fi, and four via the wired Ethernet ports."

What a load of rubbish. The limit is actually around 250, but generally before then most routers would run out of processing power to handle that many connections.

It is not a hard limit, but most consumer routers will support 10 to 20 users if they are just web browsing.

Thanks - thought so. Maybe I misinterpreted what he said ...
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Jan-12 14:01:45
Print Post

[re: swayzak] [link to this post]

Some routers used to limit to 16.

You could try pinging the Xbox from the other machine. If it pings then the network itself is OK and it is something with your setup of media sharing.
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Wed 25-Jan-12 14:22:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by swayzak:
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/ultimate_r...

There really is some drivel on there. (if you need that many devices, buy a switch and connect every device to that, including the router, messing about with multiple 4-port routers isn't really the best method.)

ping test suggested above is a good idea, after that it's down to the setup of media player \ a.n.other media streamer.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User swayzak
(regular) Thu 26-Jan-12 08:44:24
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

Thanks all

It works now - I think the problem might have been that WMP11 hadn't completed the scan of my 320GB music collection !
Standard User Daniel_g
(regular) Thu 26-Jan-12 10:09:39
Print Post

HOW MUCH!.

I have 5.47Gb and was not expecting that. Just a bit I have got over a few years but sits there and never used.
I like the media server for photos to the telly, my real use but now from sept on can't do as .MPO files not jgp as 3d camera photos and so lost the option, Wrote to panasonic and got not planning on upgrading the feature, Got your £1600 so why care. media server reciever on the telly but does not do 3d files or my normal videos so pretty useless unless the right camcorder footage or clips on stills camera and normal jpg what it now does not do as good a nice fujifilm W3 still camera and does 3d video as well. Nice but a pain having to plug the laptop into the side of the telly and use it as a monitor and play slideshow on laptop on 3d viewer software.

Hopefully a box of tricks will come out that has a built in hard disk and plugs in using HDMI lead into telly and plays the 3d stills and video. Just there under the telly. Better than moving computer to it evertime we want a film show of outings or holiday.

Still wait and see what the model in 7 years or so when this gets replaced or dies.

3d telly, nice but a rip off 2010 when I got mine, 1/2 the price now.

Rant over.
Glad it is going.
I think the DLNA is good for music and normal still. For me not so much now. Ok when I got the telly Dec 2010 as still on old camera, now 3d one , not. Does not do but I know the computer is the problem as well so hopefully software and stuff built into the telly will alow for 3d files one day.
Standard User dewi
(learned) Thu 26-Jan-12 10:30:11
Print Post

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/ultimate_r...

Wow, what a spectacularly uninformed article! Why would anyone want to daisy-chain multiple 4-port routers together when a single Gigabit switch would do the same job much more cheaply and efficiently?

As you suspected, the claim that "Most consumer routers support a total of eight connections, four via Wi-Fi, and four via the wired Ethernet ports" is utter tosh.

Following the poor advice in that article would be a waste of money and result in horrendously poor performance.
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Feb-12 21:55:51
Print Post

Incidently, I just noticed from this site that "most consumer routers are limited to 4 devices connected via wifi":

It's not true of my Airport Extreme which is currently showing 7 active wireless devices.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Say it with flowers, give her a Triffid smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to