Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Sun 12-Feb-12 13:56:48
Print Post

200GB from a Mac to Windows - ftp?

[link to this post]

A Mac user doesn't really want to split his video files into 4GB chucks and send a HDD formatted FAT32 to a Windows user half way round the world - any ideas or experience regarding transferring 200GB of data assuming a good bandwidth and an adequate usage allowance?

XP should be OK with a ftp server but what about a Mac, Vista and/or Win7?
Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Sun 12-Feb-12 14:18:16
Print Post

Re: 200GB from a Mac to Windows - ftp?

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
A Mac user doesn't really want to split his video files into 4GB chucks and send a HDD formatted FAT32 to a Windows user half way round the world - any ideas or experience regarding transferring 200GB of data assuming a good bandwidth and an adequate usage allowance?

XP should be OK with a ftp server but what about a Mac, Vista and/or Win7?

Why would you have to split them in to 4 gig chunks and format it to FAT32 OSX can read NTFS as well i know this because i used to have a macbook and id transfer 12+gig vid files from the mac to my 7 pc and visa versa using a 1TB drive formatted in NTFS.

But if you dont want to do that then i recommend a program called team viewer its cross platform between windows osx and linux & it has remote desktop suport as well as file transfer me and a friend use it regularly for both reasons when he has problems with his pc smile hope this helps

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky 9732kbps/ 796kbps + TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 4157Kbps/1536Kbps
Standard User mcclaw
(regular) Sun 12-Feb-12 14:29:10
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

OSX can't write to NTFS without 3rd party software

--- --- ---
Tesco Broadband 21285 kbps / 1023 kbps (don't sign up they are $#[email protected])
SDWTRLV exchange with a Draytek 2820Vn
Virgin 100Mb

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Sun 12-Feb-12 14:34:11
Print Post

[re: mcclaw] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mcclaw:

Ahh my hard drive did come with a manager for OSX which i did use so possibly that made it writeable for me i wont lie i dont know too much about osx i had it a few month and didn't like it that much so i went back to my windows/linux comps lol.

Anyway yea so if you want go the internet transfer route id defo recommend ya take a look at team viewer its got some very nice options in it

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky 9732kbps/ 796kbps + TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 4157Kbps/1536Kbps
Standard User mcclaw
(regular) Sun 12-Feb-12 14:40:57
Print Post

You could format the drive to exFAT

ExFAT - Wiki

[ Note : You must install Windows update KB955704 to properly access exFAT drives in Windows XP ]

--- --- ---
Tesco Broadband 21285 kbps / 1023 kbps (don't sign up they are $#[email protected])
SDWTRLV exchange with a Draytek 2820Vn
Virgin 100Mb
Standard User prlzx
(committed) Sun 12-Feb-12 14:56:37
Print Post

I'd say to attempt this on almost any kind of home broadband connection is a non-starter.

Even with a 10Mbit upload, we're looking at 4GB per hour at best so a transfer would take minimum of 2 days solid (longer if the connections are used for other things meantime). The method would need to allow restarting part way through (some but not all FTP implementations support this).

If this was to become a regular thing they could try something based on rsync at both ends, possibly involving setting up a VPN between the two locations and letting the transfers run in the background.

Services like Dropbox would be another possibility if both ends aren't online at the same time, or one party could buy some hosted server / webspace and send a link / credentials to download when ready.

As per the previous reply I think the practical method is for the files top be copied onto an NTFS formatted drive and posted / couriered. For any format other than NTFS or FATs Windows normally needs needs a filesystem driver.

If either end doesn't have free drive bays in their computer then they can buy a suitable caddy (you can get them with eSATA or USB3 as well as USB2 depending on what the computer supports).

Hard drives need to be well padded for transport - an SSD would be somewhat more rugged but would be rather more expensive for 200GB of usable storage.

But ultimately if someone has a use case (or business case) that requires shifting this much data they have to budget for it either way in terms of high speed internet bandwidth or transport costs as well as local storage (and backup).

prompt $P - Invalid drive specification - Abort, Retry, Fail? $G
prlzx on n e w n e t: ADSL2+ / 21CN at 2.5Mbps / 800k
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Sun 12-Feb-12 14:58:46
Print Post

[re: mcclaw] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mcclaw:

Yep, that seems to be the problem...
Standard User prlzx
(committed) Sun 12-Feb-12 15:06:39
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS-3G

is supposed to work for Mac OS X

If one end did send a drive formatted for MAC, I'm sure one or other of the linux liveCDs would be able to copy files from that onto an NTFS drive at the other end.

Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Sun 12-Feb-12 15:17:10
Print Post

[re: prlzx] [link to this post]

prizx,

Could the Mac machine be networked locally to a Windows machine and the 200GB of data written to an external NTFS drive (preferably in an enclosure over eSATA or usb3) connected to the Windows machine? The NTFS HDD could then be posted/couriered as a fragile package to the remote Windows user.

Unfortunately I have no experience with networking Mac to Windows and can not advise the folks regarding this issue...
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Sun 12-Feb-12 15:21:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by prlzx:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS-3G

is supposed to work for Mac OS X

If one end did send a drive formatted for MAC, I'm sure one or other of the linux liveCDs would be able to copy files from that onto an NTFS drive at the other end.

That's a good idea - if the Windows user is willing to do that...
Standard User prlzx
(committed) Sun 12-Feb-12 16:14:29
Print Post

prizx,

Could the Mac machine be networked locally to a Windows machine and the 200GB of data written to an external NTFS drive (preferably in an enclosure over eSATA or usb3) connected to the Windows machine? The NTFS HDD could then be posted/couriered as a fragile package to the remote Windows user.

Unfortunately I have no experience with networking Mac to Windows and can not advise the folks regarding this issue...

I assumed from earlier replies the Mac end had no access to a Windows box.

Indeed one could network a Mac and Windows box together, can patch them directly to each other if they both have Gbit network cards. Either computer can be doing file sharing. It's ok to leave things on auto private addresses (169.254) for this kind of networking even if Windows moans about limited connectivity it is not a fault just means there is no router.

A) Easier: Turn on Windows sharing on the Mac for the folder containing the files, then from the Windows machine, open that networked folder and copy to external drive.

B) Turn on File Sharing on the Windows box and Share the whole external drive letter. From the Mac connect to the Window share and copy the files to it. Probably best to stop sharing the external drive before doing Safely Remove.

If it's Windows Home and it gets too fussy about the right user/password, could install FileZilla FTP server on the Windows box and share the drive that way. Some versions of Mac can't upload to FTP without additional (free) software.

Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Sun 12-Feb-12 16:40:58
Print Post

Yep, two-a-penny XP Windows machines should be easy enough to find/borrow for the job - just concerned about the local networking, but FileZilla FTP should hopefully solve any problems if they happen smile

Are gigabit cards a necessity? Guess 100Mbps might do the job although it would be a fair bit slower...
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Sun 12-Feb-12 16:46:41
Print Post

I think one of the key points in your post that people may have missed here is:

to a Windows user half way round the world

So the first bottle neck is going to be the latency drag of transferring data to a peer that is nearly 350 ms away (round trip).

To maximise the speed, it's going to be beneficial to try and multiplex the transfer of the file across several parallel TCP streams to get maximum through put. There's manual/hacky ways of doing this (speaking as a technical user, also googling turns up some results). But as for off the shelf software that does any of this, I have no idea.

Coming from a Linux background, if it was me, I would use rsync, but further more, I'd try and split the file up into 4 or 5 pieces and then run 4 or 5 parallel rsyncs at the same time. Then let the remote user join the files back up. I did something similar to this when moving 1.5TB of data between London and New York for a company a couple of years ago - a single TCP transfer just wasn't cutting it, but multiplexing transfers like this ended up maxing out their 100Mbit switches (at about 60Mbits) allowing the transfer to be completed in a couple of days (rather than possibly an entire week).

PS - just checked under Linux, there is a command called "split" which does exactly this - splits large files into smaller segments. If this is available on the MAC, this is definitely the approach I would take. Split the file into multiple pieces, and then parallel rsync them all across. As for having a Windows box support rsync and rejoining the files, that's going to require more research. Sounds like a classic case for the Windows user to buy a NAS that supports SMB file shares + rsync (like the small Buffalo unit I have) so that can be left on all the time allowing files to be dumped on it when ever is convenient. Or possibly, just for the Windows user to download Virtual Box running a CentOS VM which would then have all the tools he/she needs to support receiving rsync transfers and then rejoining the files.

Now on <aaisp.net> (21CN+IPv6)
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?

Edited by mixt (Sun 12-Feb-12 16:53:02)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 12-Feb-12 17:19:06
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Just checked there is indeed a command in OS X called split,
If you need some assistance using, open a terminal windows and type
man split

this will bring up the manual pages for the command including syntax, so then its just a case if the split command versions are compatible between whichever Linux distro it was to be pieced back together with, and the OS X version.

Other option is to use something like rar, and this can split the files, depending on the type of files you may get some compression, which would help reduce transmission time.

But as people have already mentioned however many tcp streams you can send simultaneously, the ability to resume essential.
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Sun 12-Feb-12 17:25:18
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Many thanks for your input mixt smile

Thing is that this may or may not be a regular transfer of a large amount of data - keeping the initial transfer as simple a possible without committing to a more complex setup for future transfers would be preferable.
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Sun 12-Feb-12 17:29:28
Print Post

That's fair enough - wasn't sure if speed was of concern or not.

So in that respect, anything that allows resumes is essential. Personally, it would be rsync.

Now on <aaisp.net> (21CN+IPv6)
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
Standard User prlzx
(committed) Sun 12-Feb-12 17:31:27
Print Post

Yep, two-a-penny XP Windows machines should be easy enough to find/borrow for the job - just concerned about the local networking, but FileZilla FTP should hopefully solve any problems if they happen smile

Are gigabit cards a necessity? Guess 100Mbps might do the job although it would be a fair bit slower...

Not necessary as such - am guessing people are more likely to have gigabit NICs as standard - whereas many (home users) would not have gigabit switches or routers so it was just about speeding up that part of the copying.

Windows networking seems to be a recurring theme especially with changes from XP to Vista and 7.

For those just joining the thread the above is still based on physically sending a hard disk.

The stuff about the multi-stream transfers is technically valid but I imagine the persons involved don't have access to 100M symmetric at both ends or they would probably have run some small scale tests before asking about this.

I do have access to 100M symmetric and I still wouldn't dream of attempting this (other than overnight or deliberately capped at 20%) because the connection can't just be monopolised for this one purpose.

Edited by prlzx (Sun 12-Feb-12 17:33:24)

Standard User Dick_B
(regular) Sun 12-Feb-12 17:32:17
Print Post

I know he doesn't want to split files into 4GB chunks but what about 25GB that would fit on blu-ray discs? Might be cheaper to purchase and discs should be cheaper to post and possibly more robust. If UK and remote location each had burner this would solve the problem if it were required to continue sending large files in the future.
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Sun 12-Feb-12 18:14:36
Print Post

[re: Dick_B] [link to this post]

A very good idea Dick-B smile

That is certainly the way that I would personally do it because the video file will probably stand being chopped into 25GB sections whereas 4GB is too small. However, obviously, a blu-ray burner would be required at the Mac end and a blu-ray reader at the Windows end which I don't believe are currently available.
Standard User Dick_B
(regular) Mon 13-Feb-12 10:44:01
Print Post

However, obviously, a blu-ray burner would be required at the Mac end and a blu-ray reader at the Windows end which I don't believe are currently available.

But may not cost much more than a HDD and it will be there for future similar use should that be required.
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Mon 13-Feb-12 11:33:27
Print Post

[re: Dick_B] [link to this post]

Yes that is very true - in fact the blu-ray drive could be sent with the discs and then returned for possible future use. Guess there might be external enclosures, over eSATA/firewire 800/usb3, for blu-ray drives - I've never really checked that out...
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Feb-12 20:09:00
Print Post

As I recall, Stuffit is capable of at least creating split WinZip/WinRaR compatible archives to a compression level and output file size of your choice. If both boxes have dual layer DVD capabilities (The Windows box only needs read capability), 200G ammounts to something just over 20 disks.
Standard User 4M2
(experienced) Tue 14-Feb-12 21:00:56
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

That's interesting smile

I've got the Stuffit Expander 14.0.0.6 app (free - not the full version) installed on my machine - only use it to open RAR files etc. though...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to