Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 19-Jun-12 09:12:24
Print Post

Re: this networking stuff is

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

One reason it is cheap is that they have cut corners and not fully tested the device. They leave it to customers to find problems which they then might or might not sort out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Jun-12 13:31:07
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by greenglide:
The Samknows White Box is a monitoring box, provided free by Samknows, which collects performance data for collation by Samknows as part of their contract with some part of the European Union.

Produces lots of pretty graphs and hourly performance and stability reports.

Since this is connected after the router it knows nothing about the ADSL data (SNR, sync rates etc) but measures up / down speed tests, ping responses etc.

Quite cool and like running a whole barrage of tests each hour!

i see, So what will it prove that we in the UK got naff broadband?

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Jun-12 13:33:28
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
One reason it is cheap is that they have cut corners and not fully tested the device. They leave it to customers to find problems which they then might or might not sort out.

You got proof of that or is it just your opinion? going by some of the bugs in the more expensive products I am not sure if Netgear, Belkin and others do much testing to be honest.

Adrian

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 19-Jun-12 13:40:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:

You got proof of that or is it just your opinion? going by some of the bugs in the more expensive products I am not sure if Netgear, Belkin and others do much testing to be honest.

Proof - your earlier posting demonstrated that the User Interface had not been tested with potential users or the "incorrect wording" would have been picked up by native English speakers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Tue 19-Jun-12 13:56:37
Print Post

Which we already know!

I assume it may also compare different providers in terms of "real speed" rather than quoted values. Could also validate the new "average" speeds now required to be quoted rather than the headline speed.

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Jun-12 13:59:10
Print Post

Ofcom publishes reports every six months or so, but are numerous flaws with the methodology, and questions about the normalisation that goes on etc

Numbers are good if you accept that 2000'ish boxes spread around the UK, across a dozen or so providers gives a complete picture.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Jun-12 15:15:58
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Proof - your earlier posting demonstrated that the User Interface had not been tested with potential users or the "incorrect wording" would have been picked up by native English speakers.

i also found Egress Bandwidth and Ingress Bandwidth on netgear, cisco and other sites. I presume it is a network thing. Just never noticed before.

I also noticed on the UI of my router, it tells me what it means, well kind off, which I missed.

so that is no proof at all.

Adrian

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 19-Jun-12 15:16:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I presume that a disproportionate percentage of the 2000 would be broadband enthusiasts / hobbyists. Whether that would mean a disproportionate percentage of better lines than expected, I have no idea.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Jun-12 15:17:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by greenglide:
Which we already know!

I assume it may also compare different providers in terms of "real speed" rather than quoted values. Could also validate the new "average" speeds now required to be quoted rather than the headline speed.

just a shame they still lie their backside off and tell people they can get more than they can, well Talk Talk certainly does as they told me I can get 6 megabits from here, a load of bull.

Adrian

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to