Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Fri 15-Nov-13 09:12:09
Print Post

Re: Integrating a Caller ID system into UK routers!

[re: zom22] [link to this post]

On here there are quite a few people who have bought their own routers, whether they be Fritz! boxes or Draytek, because the supplied routers are not up to the job (Wifi comes to mind) or because they want an all in one box (Infinity)

Bob WRBRIX
PN Unl.Fibre - Fritz! 7390 ~ Sync 79.99/20 Mb/s Avg 74.54/18.62 Mb/s @ 320m
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway to CIX, ADSL to Nildram, SKY & Be*Unlimited, Fibre to BT
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 15-Nov-13 09:35:26
Print Post

[re: The_Voyager] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by The_Voyager:
This country used to be a leader in new ideas but we seem to fall behind when it comes to Telecommunications.

So, which company defined, developed and tested the modulation scheme used on VDSL?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(committed) Fri 15-Nov-13 09:58:30
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I don't know but probably BT, but the problem is that we sell it to others before actually implementing it over here, after all the Bell telephone system was invented over here but most of the ideas were only implemented over here in the last 20 years, whereas the Yanks had it long before that.

Bob WRBRIX
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway to CIX, ADSL to Nildram, SKY & Be*Unlimited, Fibre to BT

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Nov-13 14:48:00
Print Post

Yes, I can see that it will work with the Fritz Box, but the OP is now enquiring about generic routers:
In reply to a post by tellows:
the viability of using tellows in conjunction with other systems/routers
I was questioning those.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(committed) Fri 15-Nov-13 14:51:49
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

and that was why I advised that they get in touch with manufacturers and ISPs to see if their product could in some way be incorporated into the hardware similar to how AVM have with the Fritz! box.

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 15-Nov-13 16:07:44
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for that. An explanation I saw (maybe 12+ years ago) was that CLI from abroad was generally "not trusted" and therefore BT stripped it off and displayed no number, but flagged the call as just "INTERNATIONAL" as displayed on Caller Display units.

I remember testing out a modem from Elsa which could pass the caller display data to the user's PC, back in the late 90s, but clearly the opportunities for testing calls from abroad depends on one's circle of friends / contacts, etc.

In connection with the Parliamentary investigation, however, the bigger problem, at least in terms of nuisance calls, is that there were some exchanges and switchboards where the CLI could be forced as 'blank' and that is what causes the "UNKNOWN". I have not been following telecomms very closely in the past 10 years to know how/if that problem is going away "anytime soon" or will continue to be in evidence.

The problem, for those who have used either ACR or CTR (Anonymous Call Rejection or Choose to Refuse) to block calls is that the "Unknown" status fails both tests - it isn't treated as being deliberately anonymous (where "Withheld" is), nor is there a number to block, which CTR can do... As far as I remember CTR can block up to 10 numbers, and is implemented at the exchange, and while "Withheld" calls have the number hidden from the recipient, the exchange does "see" the number and thus can log it for future blocking (which is part of the way CTR works).

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Fri 15-Nov-13 16:45:33
Print Post

Afternoon Voyager

Although Alexander Graham Bell was Scottish (my home town of Edinburgh), his invention of the telephone occurred over in the USA, Hence the "Bell Telephone Company" being an American company, "Ma Bell".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Graham_Bell

Probably the most important follow-on invention was the Strowger Relay, also American in origin; a sight to behold and sounds to be heard when there were thousands "chuntering away" in the exchanges-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strowger_switch

Ma Bell

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Telephone_Company

"
Fact are chiels that winna ding

And downa be disputed
"
Standard User swt1963
(newbie) Fri 15-Nov-13 16:50:19
Print Post

Slightly off topic, but I would have thought a standalone box that sits between the (analogue) phone line and the phones downstream would be better, as it only requires a connection (via ethernet or Wi-Fi or even 3g/4g) to the Internet to pick up the "trustworthiness" data. This is then independent of the make/model of router in use.

The incoming CLID on an analogue line comes in as a slow speed modulated modem like signal, either after the line reversal but before the first ring current, or between the first and second ring. I would have thought it relatively simple to filter this data out from the downstream phones, but extract it it to query the online database in time to re-inject the number and the trustworthiness rating later in the ring sequence (say between the 2nd and 3rd rings). Failing that, a display on the box or remote monitoring with a pop-up on a pc, an Android/iOS app or a remote dedicated display, all over the LAN would do all that was required.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 15-Nov-13 16:55:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by The_Voyager:
I don't know but probably BT, but the problem is that we sell it to others before actually implementing it over here,

Yes, BT!

Unfortunately the UK public will not pay the higher prices necessary for us to get every technology step as soon as it is available so we do lag behind or miss out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Nov-13 18:19:10
Print Post

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ultra:
while "Withheld" calls have the number hidden from the recipient
But not if recipient is an 0800 FreeCall.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to