Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 15-Nov-13 22:40:00
Print Post

Re: Integrating a Caller ID system into UK routers!

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
But not if recipient is an 0800 FreeCall.

Not limited to free (to caller) calls (0800, 0808 and possibly even 0500 - though I don't know if C+W pass CLI). Pretty much any redirection service might pass the number.

I rent a number of 03xxx and some geographic numbers in different cities (as well as some 0800s), and the control panel allows me to capture CLI, and for that matter, record all calls (with no bleeping tones).

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Nov-13 23:14:27
Print Post

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

Thought you said earlier that Withheld #s don't show.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Sat 16-Nov-13 00:22:48
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Strowger relay, now there is something to behold - I used to work in Wren House, next door to Faraday House, connecting calls to places far and beyond, and tother side of't world, ma kin are from Greenock.

Bob WRBRIX
PN Unl.Fibre - Fritz! 7390 ~ Sync 79.99/20 Mb/s Avg 74.54/18.62 Mb/s @ 320m
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway to CIX, ADSL to Nildram, SKY & Be*Unlimited, Fibre to BT

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(committed) Sat 16-Nov-13 00:39:16
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Agreed, that's typical British thinking in action, they don't look at the bigger picture, and won't invest for future returns, unfortunately, I'm getting to the age now when this is all irrelevant.

Bob WRBRIX
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway to CIX, ADSL to Nildram, SKY & Be*Unlimited, Fibre to BT
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 16-Nov-13 14:45:11
Print Post

there's something at the back of my mind about not passing CLI to 0800 numbers used by Childline, Samaritans, etc. But it's possible I imagined it.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 16-Nov-13 14:52:04
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Well, I presume they can switch it off their end and announce the fact to reassure their callers that they are really anonymous.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 16-Nov-13 14:58:17
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

indeed, but I think the idea was to reassure the public without relying on the other end.

Guess I'm gonna have to look it up now wink

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Nov-13 17:54:38
Print Post

It's highly likely they've given assurances not to log any details, and given call forwarding service flexibility, it would be quite easy for all calls to just present the 'dialled' number - ie the number the caller used, so they can stay true to their word.

It's a common option, I think, so reception staff at a 'serviced offices' complex can answer with the correct company name, on behalf of both 'one man band' businesses and those with dozens of staff...

There may be circumstances where a court order (or the RIP Act) might require the telecomms firm to provide details (which they may log anyway, even if they don't 'present' the numbers to the recipient of the calls), in the case of a serious crime being investigated.

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
(committed) Sun 17-Nov-13 10:14:57
Print Post

Crimestoppers is the one that everyone should remember - they always say you can call them anonymously...

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User somerset
(committed) Sun 17-Nov-13 10:25:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by ultra:
It's highly likely they've given assurances not to log any details, and given call forwarding service flexibility, it would be quite easy for all calls to just present the 'dialled' number - ie the number the caller used, so they can stay true to their word.

It's a common option, I think, so reception staff at a 'serviced offices' complex can answer with the correct company name, on behalf of both 'one man band' businesses and those with dozens of staff...

There may be circumstances where a court order (or the RIP Act) might require the telecomms firm to provide details (which they may log anyway, even if they don't 'present' the numbers to the recipient of the calls), in the case of a serious crime being investigated.

Please tell us how across every telco in the world.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to