Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tellows
(newbie) Thu 14-Nov-13 16:01:34
Print Post

Integrating a Caller ID system into UK routers!

[link to this post]

Hello all!

I'm posting to ask for some technical advice on British routers for our company, tellows.

Based in Germany, tellows provides an online platform in over 40 countries on which users can report their experiences with telephone numbers. This data is compiled and, via an algorithm, a trustworthiness rating (on a scale of 1-9) is generated for each number. Effectively, therefore, the website acts as an online phone number database that users can consult when faced with a call from an unknown number.

To make this tool even more effective, the tellows team have found ways to link the database directly with a telephone line, whether landline or mobile, so that the trustworthiness score will appear automatically on your caller display when a call comes through. For mobile phones, we have formulated Android and iPhone apps. In Germany, as far as landlines are concerned, we have successfully imported xml files of 'untrustworthy' numbers (score 7-9) into the Fritz!Boxes (Germany's leading router); this means that incoming calls are filtered through the 'phonebook' element of the router, so that untrustworthy calls will be picked up on and the score displayed on the caller display. We have also, as an alternative, used Asterisk systems to ping real-time queries to the tellows API.

We're now looking to go further and expand the service we can offer to our international market, and to do this, we are seeking advice from telecoms and router experts about the viability of using tellows in conjunction with other systems/routers.

We'd like to use this thread to discuss UK telecommunications systems that could be used to make this 'integration' possible.

The sorts of things we'd like to know are:

Are there any routers that would allow the import of tellows 'scorelists' in the same way that the Fritz!Box does, i.e. does the router contain the 'phonebook' element that the Fritz!Box does, and are xml file imports possible?

Which router manufacturers use Asterisk and allow you to install plugins on telecommunications systems? We're particularly interested in the key routers from the Big 4, namely BT, Sky, Virgin Media and TalkTalk.

What alternatives to Asterisk are available on widely-used telecommunications systems that would be compatible with tellows?

We'd really appreciate any feedback and ideas that you may have.

Thanks in advance!
Ellen
The tellows team
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Nov-13 16:25:54
Print Post

Re: Integrating a Caller ID system into UK routers!

[re: tellows] [link to this post]

On the routers supplied by the big providers - none of them really handle the phone functionality. The fritzbox is rare in that respect.

So no phone books to play with.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Nov-13 17:30:36
Print Post

How can a router communicate with a land phone handset to tell it to add something to the Caller ID? They are on separate circuits with the phone filtered from the BB signal. Does the filter act as a router?

Or are you suggesting that the phone be connected to the router? Or is this for VOIP phones only?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TMCR
(member) Thu 14-Nov-13 18:36:45
Print Post

And, for those of us on Virgin Media cable, there is no interaction between phone line and Internet signal or router... wink

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Virgin Cable (L30)
Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Fri 15-Nov-13 08:30:19
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Quite easily with the Fritz! box, it has a Y lead, that goes from the phone & DSL sockets on filtered faceplate to the WAN port, then back out via 2 phone ports & 4 LAN ports, I think there were special filters included as well in case you didn't have a filtered faceplate.

This country used to be a leader in new ideas but we seem to fall behind when it comes to Telecommunications.

Bob WRBRIX
PN Unl.Fibre - Fritz! 7390 ~ Sync 79.99/20 Mb/s Avg 74.54/18.62 Mb/s @ 320m
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway to CIX, ADSL to Nildram, SKY & Be*Unlimited, Fibre to BT
(committed) Fri 15-Nov-13 08:40:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Which is a shame really, as it is a very useful addition.

One of the drawbacks of the Fritz! box is not down to the box, but the way that Caller ID is handled by Landline technology in this country, in that International numbers are not shown, like they are on mobile phones.

Bob WRBRIX
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway to CIX, ADSL to Nildram, SKY & Be*Unlimited, Fibre to BT
Standard User zom22
(regular) Fri 15-Nov-13 08:42:33
Print Post

[re: The_Voyager] [link to this post]

Maybe so on new ideas
It's just the we the consumer are not stupid enough to spend around £200 on something we don't see a need for - like a Fritzbox

The majority of the UK's broadband customers are quite happy with their ISP's free Broadband only router.

In the UK BB seems to be sold now on lowest price
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 15-Nov-13 08:47:00
Print Post

Displaying the number of calls from abroad

19. From autumn 2013 customers will, if required, in addition to the wording INTL, start to see the CLI of calls from abroad. Our plan is, as exchanges are upgraded, to roll out this facility to all customers by autumn 2014. This network development will allow customers to screen their calls more easily and recognise the numbers of friends and family calling from abroad. It will also readily provide CLI /data to help customers report their calls to the regulators.

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
(committed) Fri 15-Nov-13 08:47:17
Print Post

I really think you should be talking to the Main suppliers of the routers and the Big 4 ISPs, but as per my Comment to Mr Saffron, the problem here is how Caller ID is supplied on Landline Telephones

Bob WRBRIX
(committed) Fri 15-Nov-13 09:05:12
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for that, about time too smile

Bob WRBRIX
(committed) Fri 15-Nov-13 09:12:09
Print Post

[re: zom22] [link to this post]

On here there are quite a few people who have bought their own routers, whether they be Fritz! boxes or Draytek, because the supplied routers are not up to the job (Wifi comes to mind) or because they want an all in one box (Infinity)

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 15-Nov-13 09:35:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by The_Voyager:
This country used to be a leader in new ideas but we seem to fall behind when it comes to Telecommunications.

So, which company defined, developed and tested the modulation scheme used on VDSL?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(committed) Fri 15-Nov-13 09:58:30
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I don't know but probably BT, but the problem is that we sell it to others before actually implementing it over here, after all the Bell telephone system was invented over here but most of the ideas were only implemented over here in the last 20 years, whereas the Yanks had it long before that.

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Nov-13 14:48:00
Print Post

Yes, I can see that it will work with the Fritz Box, but the OP is now enquiring about generic routers:
In reply to a post by tellows:
the viability of using tellows in conjunction with other systems/routers
I was questioning those.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(committed) Fri 15-Nov-13 14:51:49
Print Post

and that was why I advised that they get in touch with manufacturers and ISPs to see if their product could in some way be incorporated into the hardware similar to how AVM have with the Fritz! box.

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 15-Nov-13 16:07:44
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for that. An explanation I saw (maybe 12+ years ago) was that CLI from abroad was generally "not trusted" and therefore BT stripped it off and displayed no number, but flagged the call as just "INTERNATIONAL" as displayed on Caller Display units.

I remember testing out a modem from Elsa which could pass the caller display data to the user's PC, back in the late 90s, but clearly the opportunities for testing calls from abroad depends on one's circle of friends / contacts, etc.

In connection with the Parliamentary investigation, however, the bigger problem, at least in terms of nuisance calls, is that there were some exchanges and switchboards where the CLI could be forced as 'blank' and that is what causes the "UNKNOWN". I have not been following telecomms very closely in the past 10 years to know how/if that problem is going away "anytime soon" or will continue to be in evidence.

The problem, for those who have used either ACR or CTR (Anonymous Call Rejection or Choose to Refuse) to block calls is that the "Unknown" status fails both tests - it isn't treated as being deliberately anonymous (where "Withheld" is), nor is there a number to block, which CTR can do... As far as I remember CTR can block up to 10 numbers, and is implemented at the exchange, and while "Withheld" calls have the number hidden from the recipient, the exchange does "see" the number and thus can log it for future blocking (which is part of the way CTR works).

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Fri 15-Nov-13 16:45:33
Print Post

Afternoon Voyager

Although Alexander Graham Bell was Scottish (my home town of Edinburgh), his invention of the telephone occurred over in the USA, Hence the "Bell Telephone Company" being an American company, "Ma Bell".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Graham_Bell

Probably the most important follow-on invention was the Strowger Relay, also American in origin; a sight to behold and sounds to be heard when there were thousands "chuntering away" in the exchanges-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strowger_switch

Ma Bell

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Telephone_Company

"
Fact are chiels that winna ding

And downa be disputed
"
Standard User swt1963
(newbie) Fri 15-Nov-13 16:50:19
Print Post

Slightly off topic, but I would have thought a standalone box that sits between the (analogue) phone line and the phones downstream would be better, as it only requires a connection (via ethernet or Wi-Fi or even 3g/4g) to the Internet to pick up the "trustworthiness" data. This is then independent of the make/model of router in use.

The incoming CLID on an analogue line comes in as a slow speed modulated modem like signal, either after the line reversal but before the first ring current, or between the first and second ring. I would have thought it relatively simple to filter this data out from the downstream phones, but extract it it to query the online database in time to re-inject the number and the trustworthiness rating later in the ring sequence (say between the 2nd and 3rd rings). Failing that, a display on the box or remote monitoring with a pop-up on a pc, an Android/iOS app or a remote dedicated display, all over the LAN would do all that was required.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 15-Nov-13 16:55:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by The_Voyager:
I don't know but probably BT, but the problem is that we sell it to others before actually implementing it over here,

Yes, BT!

Unfortunately the UK public will not pay the higher prices necessary for us to get every technology step as soon as it is available so we do lag behind or miss out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Nov-13 18:19:10
Print Post

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ultra:
while "Withheld" calls have the number hidden from the recipient
But not if recipient is an 0800 FreeCall.

Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 15-Nov-13 22:40:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
But not if recipient is an 0800 FreeCall.

Not limited to free (to caller) calls (0800, 0808 and possibly even 0500 - though I don't know if C+W pass CLI). Pretty much any redirection service might pass the number.

I rent a number of 03xxx and some geographic numbers in different cities (as well as some 0800s), and the control panel allows me to capture CLI, and for that matter, record all calls (with no bleeping tones).

---

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Nov-13 23:14:27
Print Post

Thought you said earlier that Withheld #s don't show.

(committed) Sat 16-Nov-13 00:22:48
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Strowger relay, now there is something to behold - I used to work in Wren House, next door to Faraday House, connecting calls to places far and beyond, and tother side of't world, ma kin are from Greenock.

Bob WRBRIX
(committed) Sat 16-Nov-13 00:39:16
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Agreed, that's typical British thinking in action, they don't look at the bigger picture, and won't invest for future returns, unfortunately, I'm getting to the age now when this is all irrelevant.

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 16-Nov-13 14:45:11
Print Post

there's something at the back of my mind about not passing CLI to 0800 numbers used by Childline, Samaritans, etc. But it's possible I imagined it.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 16-Nov-13 14:52:04
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Well, I presume they can switch it off their end and announce the fact to reassure their callers that they are really anonymous.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 16-Nov-13 14:58:17
Print Post

indeed, but I think the idea was to reassure the public without relying on the other end.

Guess I'm gonna have to look it up now wink

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Nov-13 17:54:38
Print Post

It's highly likely they've given assurances not to log any details, and given call forwarding service flexibility, it would be quite easy for all calls to just present the 'dialled' number - ie the number the caller used, so they can stay true to their word.

It's a common option, I think, so reception staff at a 'serviced offices' complex can answer with the correct company name, on behalf of both 'one man band' businesses and those with dozens of staff...

There may be circumstances where a court order (or the RIP Act) might require the telecomms firm to provide details (which they may log anyway, even if they don't 'present' the numbers to the recipient of the calls), in the case of a serious crime being investigated.

---

(committed) Sun 17-Nov-13 10:14:57
Print Post

Crimestoppers is the one that everyone should remember - they always say you can call them anonymously...

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User somerset
(committed) Sun 17-Nov-13 10:25:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by ultra:
It's highly likely they've given assurances not to log any details, and given call forwarding service flexibility, it would be quite easy for all calls to just present the 'dialled' number - ie the number the caller used, so they can stay true to their word.

It's a common option, I think, so reception staff at a 'serviced offices' complex can answer with the correct company name, on behalf of both 'one man band' businesses and those with dozens of staff...

There may be circumstances where a court order (or the RIP Act) might require the telecomms firm to provide details (which they may log anyway, even if they don't 'present' the numbers to the recipient of the calls), in the case of a serious crime being investigated.

Please tell us how across every telco in the world.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Nov-13 10:32:56
Print Post

Why would I want caller ID within my broadband router when I have it on my Panasonic DECT home phones and answering system, I can also bar nuisance numbers and look them up on the (who calls me.com) website. If the call shows number unavailable or international caller I donít answer it and they soon get tired of phoning.

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/0000000000

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 17-Nov-13 11:21:15
Print Post

[re: somerset] [link to this post]

The discussion had turned to Childline and the Samaritans, so I don't know what other countries may be able to call them, given the differences between geographic and 'routing' numbers.

As for "every telco" - I think you have misunderstood the situation somewhat. All calls route through to the service providing that call to the recipient, so only the last network needs to be able to display/log the caller ID, if it was provided.

---

Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 17-Nov-13 19:30:02
Print Post

Withheld numbers won't show if the call comes via the 'direct' route - person A calls person B with the prefix 141 (or has previously arranged for all calls to default to 'Withheld') through the public network, and the default route ends with person B's exchange, or their mobile network. BT (and I assume KC and Virgin Media) accept the request to 'withhold' the number and it doesn't get passed on from the last exchange (but is available there, for logging purposes, such as for nuisance calls).

If person A calls a number which is provided by a service company (whether that number is geographic, or an 03xxx or 08, 09 {and possibly 070, and even to a mobile!}) then that company, routing the call to a recipient (such as myself, renting an 0800, or 03xxx, or 020, or 0131, etc), may offer person B the option of using CLI. I am sure it will depend on a company by company basis (the telecomm firms providing the numbers), and may be affected by their choice of equipment, plus their ingenuity/programming expertise (for the ability to allow individual customers to set/change options concerning incoming calls).

As I'm paying for incoming calls, eg for 0800 (and for the others too, even geographic numbers), then it seems fair to me that I know the number of the caller, and can decide whether I answer or not (esp if someone has been making nuisance calls to my business number). In the past, calls may have cost as much as 8p/min (and can still cost more than that if routed to a mobile, or abroad), so it was perhaps demanded by past customers.

Even ringing a geographic (01/02) number may mean the call ends up the other side of the country and has CLI presented, if the number dialled was obtained via a service provider which gives the 'show CLI' option. It could equally end up (via VoIP) on a mobile, again with the number presented, whether the caller used 141 or not. Costs vary depending on the delivery method (where VoIP might be free, but obviously any 0800/0808/0500 call has some cost to the recipient, even if a really low cost method for delivery is used, and monthly fees may be charged on top, whether calls are made or not.

---

Edited by ultra (Sun 17-Nov-13 19:33:58)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 17-Nov-13 19:41:21
Print Post

I'm confused - are you saying that a call with CLI withheld can have the CLI exposed subsequently if passed via a 3rd party ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 17-Nov-13 21:13:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by yarwell:
... a call with CLI withheld can have the CLI exposed subsequently if passed via a 3rd party ?

Indeed. The CLI isn't "lost" at any point, but in general, the final (BT) exchange does not transmit the number, just sends the recipient the flag for "Withheld" and the display shows that instead of a number. Isn't /wasn't there an odd parallel with ISDN where a caller can find out the final destination number even after dialling an 0800, for example...

If you call one of the numbers I rent (and perhaps hundreds of others, depending on other telecomm firms) then whether you prefix with 141 or not, the CLI is provided (*), since the call has been routed via something other than a "public" exchange on its way to my mobile/ landline/ VoIP. The number appears in reports as well as on a phone display, and as I get all calls recorded, also appears with the recording in my GMail account, so even if a report was inaccessible (due to server maintenance) the details would still be easy to review.

(*) I cannot be sure these are all options, but remember: (a) caller's number or (b) called number

---

Edited by ultra (Sun 17-Nov-13 21:16:43)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 18-Nov-13 00:07:54
Print Post

thanks,

I thought the flag was set to explain the lack of number in the data fields, rather than being a "please do not share" flag.

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Nov-13 08:08:44
Print Post

I'm guessing but assumed 'Unknown' would be flagged somewhere along the way if no CLI was forthcoming... not sure if it was UAX (?) exchanges that didn't generate CLI or something else (an office based PBX) but I still get 'we do not have the callers number' from time to time (ie unknown, compared with 'the caller withheld their number').

Indeed, I had two such calls only yesterday. Went to the other room to pick up phone, after it had rung perhaps 5 times, had 3-5 seconds of silence and then the other end closed the call. Bit of a mystery.

---

Standard User tellows
(newbie) Thu 21-Nov-13 15:09:31
Print Post

[re: swt1963] [link to this post]

Hi there - thanks for the response! Can you think of an existing model of the standalone box you mention, or is this more of a hypothetical plan?

Thanks in advance!
(committed) Fri 22-Nov-13 09:45:40
Print Post

Entering "Call Blocker" into Amazon will bring up a few like CPR and TrueCall

Bob WRBRIX
Standard User AbramSearcy
(newbie) Thu 20-Mar-14 07:11:43
Print Post

Re: Integrating a Caller ID system into UK routers! *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 20-Mar-14 09:24:24
Print Post

Re: Integrating a Caller ID system into UK routers! *DELETED

[re: AbramSearcy] [link to this post]

Deleted as was so similar to other plain text spam posts where in time links and more stuff appear in the future

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to