Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RLG
(newbie) Tue 10-Feb-15 09:21:11
Print Post

Home network issues

[link to this post]

I work for an electrical firm and have been roped in to install and connect the structured cabling throughout a very large house.

All the cables (69 of them) have been tested using a cable tester which comes up like this:

1-1-1
2-2-2
3-3-3
4-4-4
5-5-5
6-6-6
7-7-7
8-8-8

Obviously this is all good, as it shows a 0 when the connection is not terminated properly, or the numbers are crossed over when they are terminated wrong.

My problem is that when trying to connect to the internet via the ethernet ports, most of them are not working.

I've tried connected the port directly to the router instead of the switch, does not work

I've tried all the ports on the switch and these are fine.

I don't get why some are working but most are not.

HELP!
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Feb-15 09:56:23
Print Post

Re: Home network issues

[re: RLG] [link to this post]

How good is the cable tester? Is it a decent model? If it is a cheap model it may be it isn't recognising issues with the cables. The fact some work and some don't suggests there is something wrong with the termination.

Are you terminating at sockets? If so are they screw terminals or punch down IDCs? I had problems with some sockets I had bought as no matter how well they were punched down they didn't work - swapping out the socket fixed the issue.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Feb-15 10:04:35
Print Post

One presumes a PC directly into the router with a patch cable works?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RLG
(newbie) Tue 10-Feb-15 10:23:23
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

The cable tester is decent, it's my CCTV tester with this function built in. I use it for when testing IP cameras and it hasn't failed me yet. Cost me £100.

I've checked some of the punch down terminations and they all look good, so I can't rule out faulty sockets. But just seems unlikely given the amount.
Standard User RLG
(newbie) Tue 10-Feb-15 10:24:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes plugged directly into the router or switch works like a dream.
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Tue 10-Feb-15 11:49:17
Print Post

No auto-crossover (at both ends)? Unlikely these days, I know, but still possible.

Sweet Thames, run softly till I end my song,
Sweet Thames, run softly, for I speak not loud or long.
Standard User RLG
(newbie) Tue 10-Feb-15 11:55:38
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

No auto-crossover.
Standard User billford
(elder) Tue 10-Feb-15 12:03:29
Print Post

Worth getting a few of these to see if that's the problem on the links that don't work?

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User Jez_
(newbie) Tue 10-Feb-15 12:17:18
Print Post

As a first port of call i would try setting your test laptop to manual 10mbit (assuming it is trying to negotiate at 1gbit) Then step it to 100mbit and re-test.

Perhaps the cables are too long and its failing to negotiate?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Feb-15 12:25:18
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I have to assume the same kit is being used to test all the cables - hopefully plugging in to a switch at one end and a laptop at the other. If we can rule out differences in kit then it is only the cable and sockets being tested.

For testing I would use the same switch port, the same patch cables, the same network drop lead and the same laptop. That leaves the only difference being the actual structured cabling.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Feb-15 12:26:05
Print Post

[re: Jez_] [link to this post]

If it's a decent cable tester it should be testing length as well. I do wonder though whether Ethernet cable testing is the main purpose of the tester or if it just happens to have that function as a "value add".
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Feb-15 12:28:23
Print Post

I hate to say it but £100 for a cable tester is relatively cheap. See some of the later posts but does the cable tester do full testing including checking for length or is it just checking the pin-outs?
Standard User RLG
(newbie) Tue 10-Feb-15 12:28:45
Print Post

[re: Jez_] [link to this post]

How would I set this up? Please excuse my lack of knowledge in this department, I am a security engineer by trade.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Feb-15 12:29:35
Print Post

In the properties of the network card you should be able to set what it negotiates at.
Standard User RLG
(newbie) Tue 10-Feb-15 12:39:59
Print Post

It's just checking the pins, this is just a function on it. It is primarily a CCTV monitor to check picture and telemetry of dome cameras.

No cable length test function.
Standard User RLG
(newbie) Tue 10-Feb-15 12:43:15
Print Post

Yes, same kit, initially with different ports on the switch but have since tested using the same one. All ports have been tested at the switch with the laptop and are all working fine.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Feb-15 13:16:20
Print Post

Really you need a proper Ethernet tester as that would show up all sorts of potential issues that won't show on the tester you currently have. Testing just for pin-outs is not sufficient for a network install and won't give you anything around the quality of the structured cabling connections.

Without a proper tester you would need to remake the connections until you get to a point where it is working - but even if you get a connection you can't be guaranteed that it is a high quality connection without doing network tests.
Standard User RLG
(newbie) Tue 10-Feb-15 13:22:19
Print Post

OK, thanks a lot for the advice. It looks like I'll have to hire a decent one having seen some of the prices.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 10-Feb-15 13:59:32
Print Post

By security engineer, can we assume you mean alarm (and peripheral) installation?

It may sound a silly question, however, did you use Cat5e/Cat6 cable? - I have seen an alarm tech use 8 core alarm cable!

Secondly, what pinout did you use? What colour on what p? Which standard? and did you check the pin numbering on te IDCs? They are NOT always a straight 1-4 & 5-6. I did some Knone ones which which go 2,1,3,5,4,6,8,7 and they were replacing a different brand which were 6,3,2,1,7,8,5,4

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User zeb99
(newbie) Tue 10-Feb-15 14:00:34
Print Post

If your tester is just performing a basic continuity test then it wouldn't pick up a split pair which would cause issues. What colour wires have you used for each connection on the punch down terminals of the RJ-45 sockets?
Standard User RLG
(newbie) Tue 10-Feb-15 14:44:30
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

You would be correct to assume alarm engineer. I have used Cat 6 cable and not alarm cable! That is shocking how someone would do that.

I have used the T568A standard.

1. White/Orange
2. Orange
3. White/Green
4. Blue
5. White/Blue
6. Green
7. White/Brown
8. Brown

I've checked the numbers on the IDC's/switches are correct.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 10-Feb-15 14:57:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by RLG:
You would be correct to assume alarm engineer. I have used Cat 6 cable and not alarm cable! That is shocking how someone would do that.

I have used the T568A standard.

1. White/Orange
2. Orange
3. White/Green
4. Blue
5. White/Blue
6. Green
7. White/Brown
8. Brown

I've checked the numbers on the IDC's/switches are correct.

You would be surprised to see how often Alarm cable is used for phone and (occasionally) network connections - mainly because it is cheap.

The pinout you have listed is actually T568B - which is the preferred one these days.

For reference 568A is actually.

1. Wh/Gn
2. Gn
3.Wh/Or
4. Bl
5. Wh/Bl
6. Or
7. Wh/Br
8. Bn

How long are the runs?

Can you make up a shorter one from the patch panel to a socket of the same type - with say 2m of cable and try that out. Then try with 10m and then 25m. At least you can then work locally to panel and socket.

M H C

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Feb-15 15:00:27
Print Post

Assume this is solid core cable and not stranded?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 10-Feb-15 15:04:32
Print Post

Can you get some decent pictures of the back of the RJ45 jacks at both patch panel and remote sockets. Host them on a suitable site and then provide links to here.

If you have two sockets at a remote location, link them together and then, at the patch panel, try a cable tests and see what the result is.

Does your laptop/PC have a network cared test facility? Broadcom for example include one in their control suite software which allows testing the connection and the cable including Distance. In my case the PC reports the length and I can also use my switch to do the same in the other direction and the lengths match within a reasonable tolerance.

When you punched down the IDC connections, did you ensure everything was fully home - a double punch is often best.

M H C

Edited by MHC (Tue 10-Feb-15 15:05:57)

Standard User RLG
(newbie) Tue 10-Feb-15 15:29:48
Print Post

It is solid core cable and they have been punched fully home, as this was not with all of them in the first place which showed up when testing. I went back over myself to double punch these.

When I'm next on site I will try to get some decent pictures for you. I will also try the different lengths in cable next to the patch panel, this would then ascertain whether the sockets are good.

By the looks of it I only have a DW WLAN card utility on this Dell laptop.

What is the maximum distance for a cat 6 cable run?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 10-Feb-15 15:37:25
Print Post

Have a look under Control Panel on te Dell, there may be a set of Broadcom utilities.

Max length for Cat6 is 100m - normally specified as 90m of solid infrastructure cable and 7m of patch cables. yes it is 97 , however teh 100m is based on solid core and not stranded which has around 1/3 greater attenuation thereby reducing 10m to 7m

M H C

Standard User RLG
(newbie) Tue 10-Feb-15 16:11:25
Print Post

Can't find Broadcom utilities, is this something I can download?

Some of the points which are not working are the closest ones less than 10m away.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 10-Feb-15 17:03:15
Print Post

If you have a Broadcom network card they are normally pre-installed.

There has to be a fundamental reason why even short distances are not working.

What is your EXACT set up? Something like:

Socket >> RJ11Cable >> Modem >>RJ45/Cat6 PatchCable >> Router >> RJ45/Cat6 Patch Cable >> Switch >> Many Patch Cables >> Patch Panels >> Infrastructure Wiring >> Remote RJ45 Sockets >> Patch Cable >> PC

What devices do you have? How many patch panels and switches?

M H C

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Feb-15 17:39:27
Print Post

if using a laptop on battery, also worth ensuring that any power save modes are disabled. Have been caught out with HP laptops in the past that would power down the Ethernet and you needed to disable/enable it to make it come back alive when running on battery.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 10-Feb-15 17:55:56
Print Post

Good Point - On a Dell there is an option to turn the Ethernet port off when running on battery depending on Power Mode. It can be accessed through the Dell QuickSet utility.

Although working on alarm installs I would have thought it would be enabled on battery to allow connection to the installation.

M H C

Standard User RLG
(newbie) Wed 11-Feb-15 08:09:30
Print Post

I have checked these settings and they are all fine.
Standard User RLG
(newbie) Wed 11-Feb-15 08:14:07
Print Post

The maximum run is about 75 metres.
Standard User RLG
(newbie) Wed 11-Feb-15 08:36:38
Print Post

Cabling is as you described, with 2 patch panels and 1 switch.

69 Cat 6 cables have been run in total, with 58 patched down. The switch is only using about 10 ports at the moment.

A Mac is working fine in the office, which is one of the longest runs. Two access points have been fitted which are working fine, both are fairly short runs.

CCTV and video entry are connected to the router and these are working fine.

I will try to get to site today and make up different length runs with sockets that are not working to clarify whether these are OK or not.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 11-Feb-15 08:37:02
Print Post

75 metres should certainly not be an issue

M H C

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 11-Feb-15 08:44:00
Print Post

If the long run is working as are short ones then it suggests the actual wiring itself is probably OK. Two possibilities - dodgy patch cables (I have had a few over the years) or sockets where the contacts are not down far enough.

With the patch panel end connected to the switch and the other connected to the PC, are any of the LEDs on the PC RJ45 socket illuminated?

Are you sure that you are testing a cable that is connected to the switch? You could have some idents swapped round. Yes, another silly suggestion, however it does happen.

2 Patch panels and 58 connected ! What size panels are they?

M H C

Edited by MHC (Wed 11-Feb-15 08:44:55)

Standard User RLG
(newbie) Wed 11-Feb-15 09:30:29
Print Post

I've tried different patch cables, although they are from the same packet/batch. I will check these next to the switch/router to test.

Not sure with the LED's, I didn't check.

I'm sure I've been checking the right cable, that's the first thing I checked as 9/10 it's the simplest answer to the problem.

1 x 24 and 1 x 48 patch panels.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 11-Feb-15 09:41:27
Print Post

I know some of the questions sound really simple ... however given what you have already done trying to resolve it, you cannot leave anything out.

What about getting a patch lead and cutting it in half. Then strip the wires back and connect 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8. Plug that in at the remote end. Use the other half at the patch panel and use a meter to check the continuity/resistance between 1&2, 3&4, 5&5, 7&8.

M H C

Standard User RLG
(newbie) Wed 11-Feb-15 09:57:51
Print Post

I hope it didn't come across as if I am dismissing all of the simple questions. It usually is a simple answer that cures the issue, especially in my line of work!

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to go through this with me and making sure I haven't missed out something simple.

I think I'll go to site this afternoon and try all of these suggestions, keep them coming!
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 11-Feb-15 10:46:00
Print Post

I hope it didn't come across as if I am dismissing all of the simple questions. It usually is a simple answer that cures the issue, especially in my line of work!

Not at all, rather the other way round. Just making sure you were not thinking that I was insulting your experience ...

M H C

Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Wed 11-Feb-15 11:45:50
Print Post

I would strip back one connection and use simple, inexpensive plugs & passive couplers to check the raw cable and its path.

If successful, then re-terminate one end at a time into your sockets/panels and re-check.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 11-Feb-15 12:06:39
Print Post

Are you saying you've wired up all the sockets and then tested them with a cable tester and it shows the sockets are wired up correctly?

I take it you are aware that ethernet is point-to-point, at each end you have to have a device (like a PC or a router) or an ethernet switch? You can't split cables or share them?

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Wed 11-Feb-15 12:08:40)

Standard User RLG
(newbie) Wed 11-Feb-15 12:12:41
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

All wired up correctly and have been tested, no sharing of cables.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 11-Feb-15 12:16:04
Print Post

I think the only reason it wouldn't work is if you've split the twisted pairs, so that one wire of the pair goes to the wrong place.

I use a cable tester like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-network-cable-teste...

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Wed 11-Feb-15 12:18:30)

Standard User RLG
(newbie) Wed 11-Feb-15 12:46:42
Print Post

I have a cable tester and I've tested them all with no cores crossed over.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 11-Feb-15 12:51:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I think the only reason it wouldn't work is if you've split the twisted pairs, so that one wire of the pair goes to the wrong place.

I use a cable tester like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-network-cable-teste...

£11 frrom Screwfix - £3 elsewhere!

M H C

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 11-Feb-15 12:52:11
Print Post

I have sent you a message - there should be a small flashing envelope. Click on it!

M H C

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 11-Feb-15 12:53:09
Print Post

Screwfix is down the road. Elsewhere is... elsewhere.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 11-Feb-15 12:56:30
Print Post

My problem is that when trying to connect to the internet via the ethernet ports, most of them are not working.
What do you mean by not working? Does the PC report it has a network connection?

Standard User RLG
(newbie) Wed 11-Feb-15 12:59:06
Print Post

No internet connection. Point to point test is fine.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 11-Feb-15 13:02:07
Print Post

To me, when you say "no Internet connection" that is not the same as "no network connection".

Does your PC report that it has a network connection but you just can't get the internet working?

Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 11-Feb-15 13:35:46
Print Post

No internet connection. Point to point test is fine.

Point to point testing at what level?

Do you mean with your cable tester (which is mainly the physical level)?
Or perhaps the ethernet level (layer 2)? Perhaps best seen by the LEDs associated with each port lighting up (though I'm guessing at that)
Or perhaps it is working just above the ethernet level - so perhaps the ARP protocol works?
Or perhaps is is working at layer 3 - where ICMP pings work successfully.

I suspect you mean your cable tester alone.

I can't help but think that your testing starts with a layer 1 test, and then jumps to assume that all the intermediate layers are working, before concluding that access to the internet is not working - by running an application at layer 7.

I think you need to start checking the lower layers of the LAN before worrying about routing out onto the WAN.

As you've jumped to having large ethernet switches, you've probably outgrown any home or SOHO solutions. The switches you have might, for example, have included VLAN functionality, where not all ports are meant to be switchable to all other ports. Or perhaps the auto-negotiation for 10/100 speeds and half/full duplex has not worked.

Or perhaps you are hitting a problem with the switch as you move your laptop from port to port - that it remembers your MAC address wrongly, and directs traffic down to an old port.

Perhaps you are relying on a faulty DHCP server at the IP layer, and the PC isn't being given an IP address properly. Perhaps this is interacting badly with ARP caching in the switch.

I suspect that you will need to check the intermediate layers with ARP and PING commands, while keeping a fixed IP address for the PC. You might even need a second PC.
Standard User RLG
(newbie) Thu 12-Feb-15 08:53:18
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I appreciate the time to post this! I think this may be a job for someone who is far more advanced in this field than myself.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 12-Feb-15 09:26:18
Print Post

Personally I think it was unfair of whoever roped you in to doing this by expecting you to install data networks when you don't have the training, experience or necessary equipment.

Data networks have some very specific requirements and even experts still need the right test equipment to make sure the cables are working correctly. Data networks are less tolerant of problems than many other cabling systems.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 12-Feb-15 09:54:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian72:
Personally I think it was unfair of whoever roped you in to doing this by expecting you to install data networks when you don't have the training, experience or necessary equipment.

That is true, although installing the cable, checking continuity and pairs is a reasonable expectation. Going beyond that when there is an issue is definitely taking the .... And we have seen from the posts that the OP has a reasonable understanding of the cabling methodology and could have done a good job.

M H C

Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Thu 12-Feb-15 10:10:33
Print Post

Morning RLG

MHC advised-
"
What about getting a patch lead and cutting it in half. Then strip the wires back and connect 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8. Plug that in at the remote end. Use the other half at the patch panel and use a meter to check the continuity/resistance between 1&2, 3&4, 5&5, 7&8.
"

Basically I tested cables in the same way; but with the addition of also checking across pairs, to ensure that there were no Shorts of that nature-

Pair 1&2 to the other three etc

It should not happen; but occasionally I found that it did, particularly when anyone inexperienced in such connectors had done the work.

The fault was generally not in the crimped/trapped part; but immediately behind at the insulation, where if stranded, the odd strand would be physically short, stick out and make contact with the adjacent lead - I'm sure you have come across this in your main work.

Difficult to spot and even worse if intermittent.

As you will know from your own experience, one has to be systematic and pedantic, when doing such work, both the actual connecting/crimping etc; and the subsequent testing.
Standard User RLG
(newbie) Fri 13-Feb-15 07:58:02
Print Post

Yes you are definitely spot on there! I am leaving this job because I seem to get lumbered with stuff that I have never done before and then they wonder why it doesn't work as expected.

I came on board to run the fire and security side of the business, I'm even involved in sorting out a Legrand home entertainment system which was installed 3 years ago and was never running as it was sold. Which I'm glad to say is almost done.
Standard User RLG
(newbie) Fri 13-Feb-15 08:01:48
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

I'll be on site today to go through all of these suggestions and I will keep you posted, especially if I find the solution. Most of the time it's something quite simple.

Thank you all for your advice!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to