Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Scoot
(member) Sun 13-Mar-16 19:09:09
Print Post

Re: RT-N65U DEAD :(

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi, thanks for the recommendations. Budget isn't an issue. I want the best router I can get to be honest.

I went into Curry's and saw the Netgear R8000 Nighthawk X6 and RT-AC68U but not knowing a lot about them it would have been an impulse buy and the staff in there didn't even know if any of their routers/modems would allow me to get rid of the white BT Openworld Modem so I gave up with their advice.

Preferably I want a top of the range ASUS, or a solid well recommended modem/router than can do the lot so I can rid myself of the BT Huawei Modem.

Thankfully now my BT Homehub 3 still works I have internet to research the available options, as early on I was on my mobile phone, anybody that has a good recommendation or can tell me what they use as a setup would be good please.

How about you MrSaffron what setup do you use?

BatBoy, AdrianPH, MrSaffron thanks for responding smile

Edited by Scoot (Sun 13-Mar-16 19:24:21)

Standard User AdrianPH
(member) Sun 13-Mar-16 19:21:05
Print Post

[re: Scoot] [link to this post]

I use a Draytek Vigor 130 and an Asus RT-AC3200.

CCOnline have a good range of routers and give great customer service.

The Small Net Builders site has a "router ranker" and which may help : http://www.smallnetbuilder.com the forum is very useful and Merlin's firmware is a superb addition to Asus routers.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 13-Mar-16 19:56:56
Print Post

I use a variety of ISP-supplied routers - the Sky SR102 and the BT Homehub5. I also use pfSense a software router running on a VM, an Asus RT-N66U. These all run with my Huawei HG612 modem which is excellent.

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Scoot
(member) Sun 13-Mar-16 20:04:10
Print Post

[re: AdrianPH] [link to this post]

Ive used Padavan's firmware for my ASUS router in the past as Merlins wasn't for my Model, and I've used SNB forums before for advice.

Does nobody here use an all in 1 modem/router then? is it better I keep the Huawei hg612 and grab myself a router only?

Trying to sift through all the models and decide is hard work, if 2 or 3 ppl suggested them same ASUS router as the best on the market currently I would probably just go buy it lol, which is lazy I know.

To be fair my RT-N65U did well for me, it just didn't work that great with VPN throughput when streaming via VPN from the WAN. So any router that does better with that would be a benefit.

Edited by Scoot (Sun 13-Mar-16 20:26:39)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 13-Mar-16 20:48:13
Print Post

Fairly slow FTTC lines so wifi speed not too critical

Work line currently TP Link W9970 in all in one mode, but don't use its wireless at all, but works nicely in bridge mode to an Asus RT-N66U which is running Merlin firmware

Other line is Sky SR102 with most devices on Ethernet and seems fine.

The Asus all in one units tend not to get fav reviews, but the RT ethernet routers people love because of the firmware flexibility. The Nighthawk series have had some good feed back from people, but usually more expensive so tend to be suggested for people with Gigabit connections attempting to get as close as possible on wireless when spending £150 to £250.

As for two box solution, a cheap modem front end helps to protect expensive routers from lightning issues.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Mar-16 21:03:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I like my Draytek 2860ac

ZeN Fibre Unlimited 2
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to