Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mikejp
(committed) Mon 05-Feb-18 16:04:35
Print Post

Domestic Network question

[link to this post]

I have a PC (Win10) cabled to a Powerplug to a Billion 8800 router. The router has a wireless network. On the same powerplug network is a Solwise WifI extender which supplies my TV and Firestick, using a different wireless network of its own.

I am having some difficulties with PLEX and wonder if the wifi extender network is on the same 'network' as the main PC? I also seem unable to 'share' my Itunes library across the two networks.

Do I need to do some black magic in the router to link the two networks, and if so are there any witch doctors on the forum?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 05-Feb-18 16:12:41
Print Post

Re: Domestic Network question

[re: mikejp] [link to this post]

Are the IP address ranges the same on both segments? Can you ping devices on one segment from the other segment and vice versa.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Feb-18 16:14:22
Print Post

It could be that one of the routers/wifi points has got wireless isolation setup (that means that all devices can see the central router but they can't see each other). Check in any setups to see if there are options similar in description to that which are enabled.

What make/model are the powerplugs? They might have config themselves that could limit devices seeing each other.

You can try pinging the devices to see if you get anything back.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mikejp
(committed) Mon 05-Feb-18 17:00:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

"Are the IP address ranges the same on both segments?" - not sure how to check!?

Only IP address I can see is the PC which is fixed at 1.99

Ian - Plugs are Solwise
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-Feb-18 00:02:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by mikejp:
Only IP address I can see is the PC which is fixed at 1.99

Did you mean the IP address of the PC is 192.168.1.99?

You should be able to ping the router. and I would have thought, the solwise wifi extender.

Michael Chare
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Feb-18 08:46:03
Print Post

Which model of solwise as the settings may be different across the models?

On the Billion check in the LAN settings to make sure "LAN Side Firewall" is not enabled. Under the Basic WIFI configuration check "Clients isolation" is not enabled.

There is a manual for the Billion 8800NL (not sure if that is your model as you just said 8800) here if you need additional info on finding those options.
Standard User mikejp
(committed) Tue 06-Feb-18 08:53:45
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Yes!

Yes, I can ping the router, but the Solwise has no IP that I can find. There is certainly no way I can find to locate one or change one. All the documentation I can find says these bits of kit do not have an IP. My understanding of Powerplugs matches the Cisco definition of a switch "An unmanaged switch works out of the box and does not allow you to make changes. Home networking equipment typically includes unmanaged switches.".

I am greatly confused as to what is a 'network'. I have two 'wireless networks', one from the router and one from the Solwise wifi extender, with different SSIDs. I have several machines 'networked' - the PC via Powerplug to router, two laptops via wireless to router and a wireless printer (the printer is on the router 'network'), plus a 'Smart TV' and a set-top Youview box, both connected to the Solwise wifi. All bar the PC obviously could connect to either wireless 'network' by choice,.

So, is everything 'on the same network' since all route through the router or do the different SSIDs make for different 'networks'? Although the Solwise extender is 'fed' from the same ringmain as the PC, is it the same 'network'? Should I change the Solwise SSID to match the router wifi SSID? What effect will that have in the boundary areas between the two sources? Do the two wireless 'networks' need to be 'mantled' somehow in the router?

Whoops! I forgot my Gigaset box which is on a router LAN port and presumably has its own wireless network to my phone base station.

Edited by mikejp (Tue 06-Feb-18 09:02:12)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Feb-18 09:17:49
Print Post

It is likely it is all the same network - they all almost certainly sit on the same range of IP addresses.

The gigaset will most likely be using wireless rather than wifi - wifi is an implementation of a wireless technology but cordless phones usually use a different wireless technology.

Ideally you need to see if you can ping different devices on the network. If you login to the router it will give you an IP address table of connected devices and you can try pinging from/to different devices to build a map of which devices can see each other (although some devices may not respond to pings anyway).

Also, see my previous post with some suggestions.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 06-Feb-18 09:32:48
Print Post

It is not unknown for these powerline adaptors to connect into a neighbours powerline network depending on the electrical setup.

First check would be can you access your routers admin pages from the affected network? E.g. can you go from devices on the Solwise WiFi extender and access the router?

It seems like you can, but again the neighbour may have the same default gateway address. So worth a browse.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 06-Feb-18 09:34:21)

Standard User mikejp
(committed) Tue 06-Feb-18 10:12:22
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Ian - it is the NL and those two settings are not ticked. I have the manual. The "Wireless - Guest/Virtual Access Points" block is empty??

Re pinging - see previous - I have no IP to ping!

Standby for Solwise model details.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to