Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User al3299
(newbie) Wed 07-Feb-18 19:08:44
Print Post

Networking my garden cabin

[link to this post]

Hi

My home network is a 200Mb fibre line which I'm looking to extend into a garden cabin/work space at the bottom of my garden (aprx 25m from my house). I've had the power installed today, and initially I was going to run a really long ethernet cable direct from the router to a wireless router in the shed. Wireless so other units can access it, and it would also give me the ability to hardwire for the speeds I seek.

My work entails heavy data use and complicated web apps that need a really fast connection so I'm looking to get as much of that 200Mb speed as possible.

Without boring you too much, hardwiring the cable and tracing it over skirting etc through three rooms in my house before it gets outside just isn't viable so i'm left with a quandary. I've used home plugs in the past with not much success (the last ones giving me just 14Mbps)- They were 500Mb units.

My first question is what is the general expected range of home plugs (I guess I'm on the edge of what's viable?) and secondly, are there any other options that anyone can think of?

thanks in advance!

Al
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 07-Feb-18 22:28:18
Print Post

Re: Networking my garden cabin

[re: al3299] [link to this post]

You know the answer on the HomePlugs - from past experience

No chance of taking ethernet outside on side of house and around the outside with outdoor grade cable? Ethernet will be good for a run of 100m so there is scope of using extra distance if needed

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User al3299
(newbie) Thu 08-Feb-18 07:59:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

thanks for your reply. I've already done that on the front of the house to hardwire my PC from my office into the lounge where the router is so unless I want the outside to look "industrial" I don't really want to go done this route again. Plus, the side of the house where the router is connected to my neighbours (i.e. a semi detached) so i'd have to go the long way round which isn't really viable. Damn, it's the only thing I regret not doing when I renovated the house - network points everywhere!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cymru123
(member) Thu 08-Feb-18 08:12:45
Print Post

2 outdoor long range access points to bridge the connection?
Standard User hypertony
(experienced) Thu 08-Feb-18 08:28:31
Print Post

[re: cymru123] [link to this post]

Yep, was going to suggest it if he still don't want to run cable underground (which IMHO, would be the cheapest way to guarantee a solid speed)

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos
Standard User robertcrowther
(member) Thu 08-Feb-18 08:57:18
Print Post

If you've just had the power installed, then it's not too late to get someone in to install some CAT6 cable.
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Thu 08-Feb-18 09:15:45
Print Post

A couple of Ubiquiti Nanostation AC Locos should do it.

https://linitx.com/product/ubiquiti-nanostation-5ac-...

We have a couple of these going 50m or so through walls and achieving a 300mbit link speed.

They are rated up to 10km (although that's at the top of a pole with nothing in the fresnel zones between them) and thanks to the directional antennas get a lot more range than you think.

If you don't have a 24v passive PoE switch at each end (like a US-8-150W ) you will need some gigabit passive POE injectors.

https://linitx.com/product/ubiquiti-poe-gigabit-powe...

Edited by nemeth782 (Thu 08-Feb-18 09:22:25)

Standard User connormill
(member) Thu 08-Feb-18 09:26:12
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nemeth782:
A couple of Ubiquiti Nanostation AC Locos should do it.

https://linitx.com/product/ubiquiti-nanostation-5ac-...

We have a couple of these going 50m or so through walls and achieving a 300mbit link speed.

They are rated up to 10km (although that's at the top of a pole with nothing in the fresnel zones between them) and thanks to the directional antennas get a lot more range than you think.

If you don't have a 24v passive PoE switch at each end (like a US-8-150W ) you will need some gigabit passive POE injectors.

https://linitx.com/product/ubiquiti-poe-gigabit-powe...

I'd go NanoBeam over NanoStation due to the better beam performance, neater look and easier to mount on wood (if using the NBE-WMK wall mount kit) and POE injectors are included with it

but either way, Ubiquiti Wireless will easily deliver 200mbps ona 40mhz channel at that distance.
Standard User al3299
(newbie) Thu 08-Feb-18 09:34:24
Print Post

[re: nemeth782] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply- looks promising! Please excuse my ignorance but how do these work?
Standard User connormill
(member) Thu 08-Feb-18 13:15:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by al3299:
Thanks for your reply- looks promising! Please excuse my ignorance but how do these work?

They are basically just wifi transmitters/receivers that have a much more focused beam and allow you to send and receive a signal over a much greater distance. I regularly use the larger versions of there (PowerBeam and Rocket Dish) to send signals over distances up to 50km

the manufacturers website www.ubnt.com has a lot of good information.

If you are buying a pair, spend the extra cash and go for something in the AC line of products. the older M5 stuff is pretty obsolete now and soon to be discontinued,.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to