Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User charlestown
(learned) Mon 26-Feb-18 10:28:53
Print Post

Router setting causing slowdown following migration?

[link to this post]

This morning I migrated from CloudScape to Vodafone and it looks like the process has completed. Last night before going to bed I simply changed the PPP details to those provided by Vodafone inside my DSL-AC56U and this morning I had internet.

Inside the router control panel I'm synching at maximum data rates of 79999 kbps downstream and 19999 kbps upstream and with speed tests I'm seeing fast ping times of 12ms with fast upload and download speeds, near maximum for this connection.

Despite the good data, it's all incredibly slow and taking a couple minutes on average to load a web page. I wondered if there is anything in the old configuration that might be causing this problem, since it was originally set up by CloudScape for their network? I have yet to try the Vodafone router, having heard it's pretty bad and it would be good if I could find out what is wrong here.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Feb-18 10:41:54
Print Post

Re: Router setting causing slowdown following migration?

[re: charlestown] [link to this post]

Unless you had the MTU set to an usual value then should not be anything in the router causing the slow down.

QoS controls in the router are another option, but then you would have set that and would hope you would remember throttling web access.

Have you checked that the router has picked up the new Vodafone DNS services? i.e. if using another providers the latency may be high enough to cause web pages to appear slow.

Finally post a link to the result from a speed test https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(learned) Mon 26-Feb-18 12:33:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you, I'll take a look at those points later. I was struggling with the super slow speeds, so I tried the Vodafone router and then lost the internet completely. A phone call to support revealed they had not yet provisioned their router for the line, which is something I've never come across with another ISP, but after resetting the Vodafone router and waiting a while it all kicked in and started to work normally.

It could be that my earlier issues with the Asus were also related to this, so I'll give this router a go for a while to see if it works reliably. Obviously it should be possible to use the Asus if needed and I hope this was just a gremlin following the migration process.

The Asus is set up to use the DNS settings from https://dns.watch, having found that it removed a connection delay that was apparent when I was using the original DNS settings for CloudScape.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Feb-18 13:13:25
Print Post

[re: charlestown] [link to this post]

It is possible without the provisioning having happened you were on a traffic limited connection

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(learned) Mon 26-Feb-18 13:37:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That sounds logical, since it was connecting to web pages, but sometimes taking a minute or two. Iím a bit wary of this Vodafone router, having heard some bad reports, but for the time being it all seems fine and Iím saving money, while my ping speeds are considerably faster than with CloudScape.
  Print Thread

Jump to