Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Morgan25
(newbie) Tue 12-Mar-19 17:47:32
Print Post

Major latency issues during gaming, streaming etc

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I'm experiencing major latency issues during pretty much anything internet related it do. It's not just on my current PC that i'm experiencing these issues, my laptop, tablet and even smart TV are taking a pounding. Set up a quality monitor with the link below. Could anyone assist me? Broadband provider is virgin media with a super hub 3. I've got an ethernet cable running from the box to a TP-Link router in my bedroom and a ethernet connection to my pc from that.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Mar-19 17:55:00
Print Post

Re: Major latency issues during gaming, streaming etc

[re: Morgan25] [link to this post]

Your superhub stopped responding to the pings or your broadband is totally offline from 6am onwards.

The superhub 3 have a habit of getting bored responding to pings.

When there was data in the monitor it was looking pretty good.

The TP Link is that running as a router with the superhub in modem mode? Or are you running double NAT - which may not be helping things.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Morgan25
(newbie) Tue 12-Mar-19 21:52:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you for the reply Saffron, i believe i am running a double nat. we have the VM router downstairs, a switch in the pantry then the TP-link in my bedroom. read up something about putting bridge mode on? Below is the hardware that we have installed, along with the SuperHub 3. apologies with my lack of knowlege still learning haha

https://www.maplin.co.uk/tp-link-5-port-10-100-1000m...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Wireless-Gigabit-Su...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SamirD
(newbie) Wed 13-Mar-19 04:03:47
Print Post

So one thing I would try is to see if you get latency when plugged in directly to the VM hub. If so, I would try power cycling it and see if that helps. If not, it's time to call Virgin and see if they can detect the problem because it's probably equipment or cabling of theirs that's gone bad.
Standard User Morgan25
(newbie) Sat 16-Mar-19 15:07:19
Print Post

Hi saffron, ran a BQM on only wifi and managed to reduce the red blocks. can you see anything here out of the ordanairy other than high latency.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 16-Mar-19 15:22:58
Print Post

How did you run a BQM on only Wi-FI?

Reason for asking the BQM is between our box in London and the device that has your public IP address assigned to it, which is usually NOTHING to do with Wi-Fi unless you have a very unusual set up

For VIrgin Media that is a good latency graph assuming the spike around 1.45pm was your household doing something on the connection

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Morgan25
(newbie) Sat 16-Mar-19 21:32:18
Print Post

By wifi only i mean, that first graph i posted i had my ethernet cable plugged in, the one i posted today was with the cable disconnected running off of the wifi. no one has been in the house today other than myself and all ive been doing is watching Twitch and playing a browser game.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 17-Mar-19 08:52:12
Print Post

What was running off Wi-Fi?

In the usual Virgin set up we are pinging the Superhub

If using modem mode we are pinging the router people plug in via Ethernet to the hub

The only influence any devices connected to whatever the router is will be the traffic they are sending back and forth

Watching twitch and a browser game use data and thus might be reason for the variation around the time I said, otherwise the yellow banding is normal for virgin

Standard User Hitfow
(newbie) Fri 05-Apr-19 14:43:42
Print Post

Re: Major latency issues during gaming, streaming etc *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 05-Apr-19 15:07:25
Print Post

Re: Major latency issues during gaming, streaming etc *DELET

[re: Hitfow] [link to this post]

Spam or dodgy linked suspected so post was removed

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to