Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Skilty
(committed) Mon 25-Mar-19 13:22:31
Print Post

Google Wifi and ICMP

[link to this post]

So I have three Google Wifi pucks dotted around the house and up until now have been using the Sky Q modem and then running Google Wifi behind it. Essentially a double NAT as the Sky Q is on 192.168.86.1 and Google Wifi is on 192.168.87.x, it chose this setup, not me smile

I have setup the Sky Q DMZ to point to Google Wifi and this allows ICMP for ThinkBroadband BQM.

Moving to iDNet in 2 weeks and I have a Draytek 130 in the cupboard (we are on an ECI cab) but the issue will be that Google Wifi by design does not respond to ICMP so will lose BQM.

Any ideas how I could hook thinks up in such a way that I can get BQM working without having to put Google Wifi in bridged mode or end up with double NAT?

So far I can only think of having two public IP addresses one going to Google Wifi and the other two something that will response to pings like my Raspberry Pi or server running Docker.

Or am I over complicating it? smile

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL > Sky Fibre Max - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 61.2/18.8Mbps - BQM
Standard User SamirD
(newbie) Wed 27-Mar-19 14:29:06
Print Post

Re: Google Wifi and ICMP

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

I think you are over-complicating it. You should be able to replicate your current setup by just setting the replacement for the sky q the same way you did the sky q--set the google wifi in the new whatever's dmz just like you did for the sky q.
Standard User Skilty
(committed) Wed 27-Mar-19 14:33:59
Print Post

[re: SamirD] [link to this post]

Yeah problem is that leaves it in double NAT though which I wanted to avoid.

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL > Sky Fibre Max - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 61.2/18.8Mbps - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SamirD
(newbie) Wed 27-Mar-19 14:55:37
Print Post

[re: Skilty] [link to this post]

Double NAT isn't that big of an issue as most people make it out to be. Sometimes you can even use it to your advantage is you want to isolate networks. The only potential problem in your case would be that if a system connected directly to the router in front of the google wifi wanted to access the google wifi, it may or may not have access depending on the dmz implementation as some routers include the lan for the dmz and some do not.

Either way, I'd try it first by replicating your current setup and see if that works. Then we can work on the details and try to figure out a way around the double nat or the same configuration without it.
  Print Thread

Jump to