Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User george1976
(newbie) Sun 14-Apr-19 15:39:28
Print Post

Netflix causing gaming lag

[link to this post]

Hello guys

Maybe someone can help me with some advice please.
I am having issues with lag in online gaming whenever Netflix is being used on another computer or smart TV, wired or wireless. Without Netflix everything is fine, 30ms constant on world of tanks servers.
With the HH6 lag spikes were around 300ms, having heard that CP routers have no QOS I purchased an Archer C2300 with an 1.8Ghz processor.
Problem is even with the Archer's QOS set to prioritise gaming traffic to high and reduce streaming to low I still have lag spikes! They are around 150ms now but they ruin the experience.
TP Link online chat said the settings I have for QOS should give 70% bandwith to gaming traffic but............

Any ideas please? Or a router recommendation that I can manually set bandwith allocation in settings? The Archer has no such feature.

Thank you
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 14-Apr-19 17:52:21
Print Post

Re: Netflix causing gaming lag

[re: george1976] [link to this post]

?How many bandwidth do you have to play with?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User brookheather
(member) Sun 14-Apr-19 21:23:28
Print Post

Are you with BT? Many people on the BT forums are reporting similar issues with gaming lag spikes when playing Netflix - these issues seem to have started in the past few months. There doesn't seem to be any solution yet apart from changing ISP.

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + Asus RT-AC67U AiMesh

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User amiga_dude
(newbie) Mon 15-Apr-19 10:52:49
Print Post

what would be intresting find out how bad the connection is becoming.
Run test using thinkbroadband Broadband Quality Monitor (tbqm)
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

It would be interesting to which hours that do these things.Really do need at least an hour to get good results.
1) Not using internet.
2) Just playing your game, not watching netflix
3) Just playing netflix, not play your game
4) play your game, watching netflix

PS the reason why say this is because when upload videos to youtube you can tell.
Standard User george1976
(newbie) Tue 16-Apr-19 18:55:50
Print Post

I have 51Mbps down and 8 up, yes I am with BT and if what you're saying is thing that would be really really disappointing.
I had a bqm up but was registering just fine with no issues at all for about 6 hrs then red.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 16-Apr-19 20:33:34
Print Post

If all red it means the device you are pinging is not responding...NOT BT Smart Hubs on residential service do not normally respond to pings at all.

50 Mbps should be enough to sustain a 10 Mbps download (HD stream) and game, but if you are also adding voice chat and video (twitch) then you will be pushing things potentially.

What may be happening is that the stream is arriving not as a constant but rather 50 Mbps for a seconds and then a gap of nothing until buffer has run down again. The way to tell if this is the case is to monitor the network interface the Netflix device is using e.g. task manager in windows 10

One solution may be to cap netflix at 10 Mbps if access to UHD streams is not wanted

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Apr-19 17:44:29
Print Post

How are you watching, on a BT TV box? If so, the way it is established, basically whilst the BTTV is in use and streaming a channel e.g. BT Sport or using Netflix, a segment of your bandwidth is reserved for the BT TV Box and prioritisation is made for any traffic going to the BT TV, this can cause gaming spikes. It really is the best way to ensure the BT TV does not buffer, especially on the TV streams such as BT Sport, TLC HD etc.

EDIT: not sure how traffic is handled when streaming on a non BT TV device but I did notice when torrenting etc Netflix would work almost always in good HD quality suggesting something was occurring.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 17-Apr-19 18:00:31)

Standard User brookheather
(member) Wed 17-Apr-19 20:32:58
Print Post

The only solution currently on the BT forums is to move ISP - no-one has yet managed to get BT to resolve this issue which started in December for many users.

Cerberus FTTP + pfSense + Asus RT-AC67U AiMesh
Standard User george1976
(newbie) Wed 17-Apr-19 20:33:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

MrSaffrron thank you, you may be up to something there, it happens that lag spike appear every 10 seconds lets say, like some sort of big buffer.
I will monitor netflix on task manager and also had an Archer C2300 but qos on that was basic and I returned it. It cancelled the buffer bloat but lag was still there although down from 250ms spikes to 150 ms spikes.
Standard User george1976
(newbie) Wed 17-Apr-19 20:37:18
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

It's on a LG B7 TV mate, aside from Netflix, youtube causes the same issues when on high quality.
I must stress that without those lag is 5ms constant pinging an uk server and 30-40 on the game server I play so it must be something odd if not even an aftermarket router could fix.
I do believe that 51/8 speed should be enough, Netflix doesnt go to high in bandwith, youtube 4k does but Netflix seems to be the bad guy really smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to