Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ronb62
(newbie) Mon 24-Jun-19 13:36:10
Print Post

which modem /router to buy

[link to this post]

I am having major troubles with line reconnects and gradually loosing speed. I have eliminated my house wiring etc, had Openreach out 3 times and it has happened with 2 different providers, 4 routers of 3 different types. Vodafone (2) , EE smarthub and a BT home hub 5 (with openwrt) to Vodafone. Haven't tried the HH5 on EE yet though. Openreach due out again tomorrow.
SHould I buy a new router that is resistant to line drops/resyncs (if one exists) ?
Which one is best? (I really need one that has a minimum of 4 ethernet)
HELP. Slowly loosing the will to live with this situation
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Jun-19 14:34:06
Print Post

Re: which modem /router to buy

[re: ronb62] [link to this post]

I don't think any router is resistant to line drops, but for many, Broadcom chipset based routers tend to be more stable than other (eg Lantiq/ECI, Mediatek etc) makes.

If budget isn't an issue then go for the TP Link VR2800, Asus DSL-AC88U or Billion 8900AX. All use a new-ish Broadcom DSL chipset. All are 4x4 wifi stream routers.

If you don't want to spend too much then something like the TP Link VR900v3 is a good balance between price v performance. Again this uses a Broadcom chipset but its only a 3 stream wifi router (3x3).

If you want the cheapest then something like the TP link W9970 would be ideal, though its wifi performance won't be the best.

If you buy from Amazon then its pretty much a risk free purchase as you have a 30 days money back guarantee.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Jun-19 14:39:03
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

The W9970 is pretty rock solid, fixed Vodafone router dropping connection. I still use the vodafone router for the WiFi i.e. 9970 running in bridge mode and plugged into Ethernet WAN port on the Vodafone router (i.e. 1 of the ports hidden under a sticker).

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ronb62
(newbie) Mon 24-Jun-19 15:45:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The W9970 is pretty rock solid, fixed Vodafone router dropping connection. I still use the vodafone router for the WiFi i.e. 9970 running in bridge mode and plugged into Ethernet WAN port on the Vodafone router (i.e. 1 of the ports hidden under a sticker).

Thanks great info. Why do you use the Voda router for the wifi when the w9970(TP-link AC1600) has its own?
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Jun-19 17:02:12
Print Post

[re: ronb62] [link to this post]

The W9970 is only a 2.4ghz single band 802.11n wifi router, it doesn't support 802.11ac wifi for which you will need a dual band router (802.11ac runs over 5ghz). If you need 802.11ac wifi then the W9970 will need to be connected to another router such as the Vodafone one or another dual band router of your choice. Otherwise you can use the W9970 on its own if wifi isn't important (it has 4 LAN ports).

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem...

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
  Print Thread

Jump to