Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User McShaneDCFC
(newbie) Wed 26-Jun-19 11:18:18
Print Post

Cabling advice needed please :)

[link to this post]

Hi,

I am looking for some advice for a Cat 6 cable installation I am hoping to install in my house.

My openreach master socket is located in the entrance hall of my house. Behind the master socket is an old disconnected phone extension that runs through a conduit to the attic of my house.
I was hoping to use the old extension cable to pull a Cat 6 cable to the roof space and then I can feed that down a tv aerial conduit to my living room tv.

The main issue I am seeing is installation of an rj45 faceplate beside my master socket. The old phone extension feeds directly to the master socket back box, I donít want to damage the master socket to allow the new cable to get to the new face plate.

I was wondering is there some way of converting the back box for my master socket to a double gang, keeping the master socket intact on one side, and a new rj45 faceplate on the other side. Is that possible? I donít want to spend the money buying materials if I wonít be able to install it. Any other advice you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks
Standard User gary333
(regular) Wed 26-Jun-19 12:09:25
Print Post

Re: Cabling advice needed please :)

[re: McShaneDCFC] [link to this post]

Rather than getting a double box you might be better off placing another single next to it (close up) and drilling through. I've had a double single (two boxes welded together) fitted, replacing the original single back box and I am not happy with it as the shape of the master socket isn't great for butting up due to the profile of the casing.

If conduit (plastic pipe) has been fitted then you should be able to pull the cable through. However, if it's been hidden behind dot and dab you might find some friendly electrician (thanks dad) has decided to use cable clips which means you have no chance of pulling through a replacement cable.
(newbie) Wed 26-Jun-19 12:16:47
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gary333:
Rather than getting a double box you might be better off placing another single next to it (close up) and drilling through. I've had a double single (two boxes welded together) fitted, replacing the original single back box and I am not happy with it as the shape of the master socket isn't great for butting up due to the profile of the casing.

If conduit (plastic pipe) has been fitted then you should be able to pull the cable through. However, if it's been hidden behind dot and dab you might find some friendly electrician (thanks dad) has decided to use cable clips which means you have no chance of pulling through a replacement cable.

Thanks for the advice Gary, I think I will go with the single faceplate and drill through option. Conduit has been fitted through the wall cavity so i am lucky there smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User GonePostal
(member) Wed 26-Jun-19 12:51:29
Print Post

Depending what connections you are actually making through the Cat 6, could terminate the Cat 6 in an RJ11 to plug directly into a filtered faceplate on the master?
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Jun-19 15:21:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by McShaneDCFC:
I was hoping to use the old extension cable to pull a Cat 6 cable to the roof space and then I can feed that down a tv aerial conduit to my living room tv.
I fed an ethernet cable next to the TV coax in my house, I suspected that there was a gap in the conduit between the two floors that made doing this more difficult than I would have liked.

Michael Chare
(newbie) Wed 26-Jun-19 20:35:58
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
In reply to a post by McShaneDCFC:
I fed an ethernet cable next to the TV coax in my house, I suspected that there was a gap in the conduit between the two floors that made doing this more difficult than I would have liked.

DISASTER, I went home to investigate and the extension is indeed clipped frown
Standard User gary333
(regular) Wed 26-Jun-19 21:13:29
Print Post

If you have dot and dab you can knock (gently!) on the wall and you will hear the sound change. Deeper note is where the dabs of adhesive are, higher pitch is where there's a gap. This should give you an idea if there is a path. You can then use something like the below to pull cable down (pull down, don't push up).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-633570-Cable-Acc...

If it's close to the corner then you might be out of luck, but if it's mid way through the wall you might get lucky.

Edited by gary333 (Wed 26-Jun-19 21:49:11)

Standard User dethadol
(regular) Fri 28-Jun-19 11:36:46
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Another alternative if you have drylined plasterboard walls fixed with nails is a magnetic stud finder

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CH-Hanson-03040-Magnetic-Fi...

I have used one of these very succesfully

HTH
Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Fri 28-Jun-19 17:21:05
Print Post

[re: dethadol] [link to this post]

A cheaper alternative is to take apart an old hard drive and remove the voice coil magnets used for head positioning. Be careful they will bite. For added tricks dunk them in some IPA for a week and the glue will soften to let you remove them from their backers.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 29-Jun-19 11:01:15
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
A cheaper alternative is to take apart an old hard drive and remove the voice coil magnets used for head positioning. Be careful they will bite. For added tricks dunk them in some IPA for a week and the glue will soften to let you remove them from their backers.

Which brewery would you recommend as teh preferred supplier?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to