Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User stevewhits
(member) Tue 30-Jul-19 13:16:42
Print Post

Router Recommendations (Broadcom)

[link to this post]

Following on from my issues with my Asus rt n66u issues a couple of weeks ago that I thought were sorted, it's now started having speed issues again. (Plugged my homehub 5 in and that's fine).
So I'm looking for a Broadcom chipset router (cabinet is Broadcom) that's not going to break the bank. I have FTTC provided by Plusnet at the moment (may be changing shortly) and speed will be around 50mbps when I change.
Internet usage will be for streaming movies and TV in HD quality
Standard User stevewhits
(member) Wed 31-Jul-19 13:04:15
Print Post

Re: Router Recommendations (Broadcom)

[re: stevewhits] [link to this post]

I'm leaning towards a TP Link Archer C2300 or Archer used 12 month old VR900 .

Any thoughts on either of these please?

I've also looked at the ASUS rt-ac86u but it's quite expensive and seems a bit of overkill for my needs.

Edited by stevewhits (Wed 31-Jul-19 13:04:59)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Wed 31-Jul-19 13:17:21
Print Post

The TP Link C2300 and the Asus RT-AC86U are both standalone routers, so you will need to use modem with one of these. Otherwise the VR900 is an excellent choice, try to buy a brand new one though as you will almost certainly get the V3 - you could get the V1 or V2 if buying second hand.

The other option, without spending a small fortune, is to buy a TP Link W9970 to use as a modem (it uses a newish Broadcom dsl chipset & is cheap as chips) and pair that up with the Netgear R7800 which is currently only £130 on Amazon - it usually retails for £150+ & is even better than the Asus RT-AC86U for wifi.The R7800 sits on top of the router charts on SNB for wifi performance.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Wed 31-Jul-19 13:41:26)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gmangt4
(regular) Wed 31-Jul-19 15:25:49
Print Post

As your current router needs a VDSL modem, what are you using just now to handle the VDSL sync?
Standard User stevewhits
(member) Wed 31-Jul-19 15:46:12
Print Post

[re: gmangt4] [link to this post]

BT Openreach Modem Huawei EchoLife HG612
Standard User gmangt4
(regular) Wed 31-Jul-19 16:03:37
Print Post

Is that holding sync fine? As I'm guessing you don't use that when you use the HomeHub?
I've tried a few and I like the stability of the HG612 3b, I also use the W9970 too, works fine, as did the Billion 8800NL R2, I didn't get on with the vigor130 though.
Recently my Asus routers have been rubbish too, so I moved over to an edgerouter X with a MESH system. Out of interest really I flashed John's Fork on to one of my Asus AC68U's to mess with and I have been using it for over a week now and has been super stable (had to reboot regularly prev). It won't make a VPN fast though on your 66U, best to use the app on your devices still.
Baby_Frogmella has gave some good options above.
(knowledge is power) Wed 31-Jul-19 16:09:54
Print Post

In that case no real need to buy a modem or modem/router if your HG612 is working well. Despite its age, the HG612 is still a rock solid modem (it used to stay synced for months at a time on my FTTC line).

Just hook it up to a decent router such as the Netgear R7800 or TP Link C3100(v2) smile

Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User stevewhits
(member) Wed 31-Jul-19 17:55:01
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Absolutely rock solid.
Standard User stevewhits
(member) Fri 02-Aug-19 11:02:22
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I've gone with the TP Link 3150 (V2.1). Easy to set up and it's made an immediate difference.

BT Wholesale speedtest is showing at 34mbps even over wireless and my firestick is also speedtesting at 34 mbps with the VPN which is 10mbps faster than it was. Websites seem to open quicker as well so quite pleased atm apart from the £140 outlay
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Aug-19 11:09:02
Print Post

Excellent choice smile

Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User gmangt4
(regular) Fri 02-Aug-19 14:06:54
Print Post

Nice one, should you choose to run your VPN at router level ever again that will be a huge improvement....I find for the stick the app is easiest all round.
Enjoy your tinkering lol
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to