Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User azk404
(newbie) Fri 02-Aug-19 19:28:16
Print Post

VDSL router linking?

[link to this post]

Hello,

I am not knowledgable at with network stuff so excuse anything that doesn't sound quite right wink

Ive just started living in a building which doesn't have fibre optic broadband available yet so my internet comes from a normal phone line into a VDSL router already here (TP Link TD-W9970 - V1). I have a Asus RT-AC5300 from a previous address so is there any way to link the Asus router to the TP link router so the Asus router send outs the wifi signal rather that the TP link router?

Cheers
Az

Edited by azk404 (Fri 02-Aug-19 19:28:36)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 02-Aug-19 20:40:10
Print Post

Re: VDSL router linking?

[re: azk404] [link to this post]

That Asus router just has an Ethernet WAN port so ideal would be W9970 running in bridge mode connected via Ethernet cable to the Internet/WAN port of the RT-AC5300

If the W9970 is not running in bridge mode, i.e. some is using it as a modem/router then still should be able to get get access using a LAN port on TP Link to WAN port of Asus

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gmangt4
(regular) Fri 02-Aug-19 21:46:15
Print Post

Re: VDSL router linking?

[re: azk404] [link to this post]

As Above, best is to run W9970 in bridge mode and then use it as a modem for the Asus, if not possible you can login to the Asus, go to Administration tab, then Operation Mode, you can choose Access Point (AP) mode, save/apply, once it reboots you can then run a cable from a yellow port on the W9970 into the blue port on the Asus and it will work for your WiFi and as extra LAN ports too. HTH.

Edited by gmangt4 (Fri 02-Aug-19 21:46:56)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to