Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mking90031
(regular) Sat 09-Nov-19 08:52:00
Print Post

Access USB HDD Remotely

[link to this post]

Hi,

Could someone suggest a cheap (or free) way to access a USB hard drive remotely? This could include a VPN (although not PPTP) or a cheap (preferably under £100) router that has similar (or better) wireless (and other features) than my Virgin Hub 3.0. Any help on this issue would save me carrying around a hard disk (even if it is a portable one)....

Thanks,

Mark King MCP
www.mark-king-basingstoke.co.uk
Virginmedia 541.32Mb/sec Down & 37.37Mb/sec Up (according to Speedtest.net W7 App)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-Nov-19 10:06:23
Print Post

Re: Access USB HDD Remotely

[re: mking90031] [link to this post]

Asus routers support mounting USB HDD and AI Cloud are another way e.g. ASUS RT-AC1200G+ https://amzn.to/2K5tKcH £68 and run the virgin router in modem mode. Should be a reasonable Wi-Fi replacement, but if really good Wi-Fi is key then the more expensive routers like ASUS RT-AC86U

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Nov-19 10:56:21
Print Post

I have a Synology NAS running VPN. I use OpenVPN and can connect to the NAS from my laptop. Having established the connection I use FileZilla FTP to move data, and non standard port forwarding on the router to make hacking more difficult. I also run a proxy server on the NAS which makes it possible to view BBC TV programmes when abroad. The VPN and the Proxy sever are both standard Synology packages.

If you are using a laptop, fitting a larger SSD might be a way of carrying more data.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User skandia2
(newbie) Sat 09-Nov-19 11:44:03
Print Post

I use a Raspberry Pi 3B as an OpenVpn server.
It easily handles data at my FTTC 20 Mbps upstream speed.
There are plenty of sites describing how to configure OpenVpn.
For example: http://www.pivpn.io/
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Nov-19 12:00:18
Print Post

[re: skandia2] [link to this post]

I think this BBC webpage was what I used to get Openvpn working on a Raspberry pi. The source of this information always amused me bearing in mind one of the uses.

Michael Chare
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 09-Nov-19 12:01:38
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
I think this BBC webpage was what I used to get Openvpn working on a Raspberry pi. The source of this information always amused me bearing in mind one of the uses.

ASUS routers have OpenVPN built in. Works really well, as long as your uplink at home is fast enough!! (Not recommended on ADSL or those with very slow VDSL/FTTC uplink).

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9(Sep/17),54/6(Jan/19),46/7(Sep/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Sat 09-Nov-19 19:25:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by mking90031:
Hi,

Could someone suggest a cheap (or free) way to access a USB hard drive remotely? This could include a VPN (although not PPTP) or a cheap (preferably under £100) router that has similar (or better) wireless (and other features) than my Virgin Hub 3.0. Any help on this issue would save me carrying around a hard disk (even if it is a portable one)....

Thanks,
I would just park it on Dropbox / One-drive / or similar cloud service. maybe encrypt the files first.
  Print Thread

Jump to