Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Tue 14-Jan-20 13:15:50
Print Post

Recommend router to use with Ubiquti WfFi APs

[link to this post]

I'm considering replacing my single WiFi router with a non-wifi router to which I'll connect a couple of Ubiquti WiFi access points. Looking for recommendations for a full featured router that can do port-forwarding, DHCP with static IP - basically something that can replace the non-wifi functionalty of my Asus RT- router.

I've looked at MicroTik routers which appear to offer PoE but could those provide PoE to power the Ubiquiti APs?

Any recommendations?
Standard User dogcat
(newbie) Tue 14-Jan-20 16:19:33
Print Post

Re: Recommend router to use with Ubiquti WfFi APs

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

Be careful with choosing Mikrotik routers and especially Ubiquiti with PoE built in, most of Mikrotik and all of Ubiquiti are passive PoE out which is not what you want for modern Ubiquti AP's.

You are better off separating the 2 functions getting a router that meets your needs as a router and a switch that handles your PoE needs. Can't really recommend options for either without a lot more information (speed / use of VPN's / etc) and how many AP's to be powered.

Key point is you are looking for a switch that supplies PoE / PoE+ (802.3af/at) and not passive PoE.
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Tue 14-Jan-20 17:47:03
Print Post

[re: dogcat] [link to this post]

I use Ubiquiti Unifi switches to provide PoE for my APs, along with a USG as router and Cloud Key Controller Gen2 to control it all - I use a Mikrotik 4G router effectively just as a modem. It is nice being able to control everything (except the Mikrotik) from one interface.
The Ubiquiti APs changed from 24v to standard IEEE 802.3af 48v a year or two ago, so check that the switch provides what your APs need.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zzing123
(learned) Tue 14-Jan-20 22:38:20
Print Post

Even the cheapo Unifi Security Gateway (USG, https://store.ui.com/collections/routing-switching/p... can handle all the things you asked for. But I don't recommend the USG any more as it's woefully underpowered (much like the rubbish ISPs impose on us).

Instead, why not use the new Unifi Dream Machine (UDM, https://store.ui.com/products/unifi-dream-machine). This can handle ~700mbps throughput with full Suricata Intrusion Detection over and above all your port forward needs while also replacing your Cloud Key and managing all your switches and APs.

In both cases you will need a modem. If as I presume you're on FTTC, you'll need a VDSL modem (eg Draytek Vigor 130 or a Huawei HG612), but since you're using an Asus router, I expect you may already have this.

Edited by zzing123 (Tue 14-Jan-20 22:39:22)

Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Wed 15-Jan-20 07:45:57
Print Post

[re: zzing123] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zzing123:
Even the cheapo Unifi Security Gateway (USG, https://store.ui.com/collections/routing-switching/p... can handle all the things you asked for. But I don't recommend the USG any more as it's woefully underpowered (much like the rubbish ISPs impose on us).

Instead, why not use the new Unifi Dream Machine (UDM, https://store.ui.com/products/unifi-dream-machine). This can handle ~700mbps throughput with full Suricata Intrusion Detection over and above all your port forward needs while also replacing your Cloud Key and managing all your switches and APs.

In both cases you will need a modem. If as I presume you're on FTTC, you'll need a VDSL modem (eg Draytek Vigor 130 or a Huawei HG612), but since you're using an Asus router, I expect you may already have this.

Thanks for the UDM suggestion, seems its all Id want except for no PoE but can the APs be powered by a mains adaptor? One of the APs would be in my loft to provide coverage for upstairs and the loft has power points.

UDM is very expensive though so Id reckon Id wait until the price drops if I did decide on it.
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Wed 15-Jan-20 07:48:59
Print Post

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by sheephouse:
I use Ubiquiti Unifi switches to provide PoE for my APs, along with a USG as router and Cloud Key Controller Gen2 to control it all - I use a Mikrotik 4G router effectively just as a modem. It is nice being able to control everything (except the Mikrotik) from one interface.
The Ubiquiti APs changed from 24v to standard IEEE 802.3af 48v a year or two ago, so check that the switch provides what your APs need.

Your Ubiquiti setup seems to be what other owners use so its obviously the way to go.
Standard User zzing123
(learned) Wed 15-Jan-20 14:53:14
Print Post

Take your pick of PoE injectors: https://www.msdist.co.uk/ubiquiti/poe/injectors

Normally you get this for free with an AP when you buy a retail (1x) pack, but not with 5x AP packs, so check your boxes as you may already have them!

However, if you have structured cabling (ie cat 6 in your house), I'd strongly suggest you get a PoE switch, which I assumed you already had. APs typically take 7-16W of power, so get a suitable PoE budget. I use a 250W 24-port Unifi switch for exactly that purpose.

The real advantage with a Unifi switch, AP and router is that you'll have a single management interface for the lot, and it's quite appealing even for tech geeks to have that. It can only be bested by having a considerably more expensive Cisco Meraki and such like.
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Wed 15-Jan-20 20:02:33
Print Post

[re: zzing123] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zzing123:
The real advantage with a Unifi switch, AP and router is that you'll have a single management interface for the lot, and it's quite appealing even for tech geeks to have that. It can only be bested by having a considerably more expensive Cisco Meraki and such like.

Just checked the pirces for UniFi stuff you mentioned - quite appealing for rich tech geeks smile
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Thu 16-Jan-20 11:17:39
Print Post

[re: dogcat] [link to this post]

However the most likely Ubiquiti WiFi access points you are likely to use in a domestic scenario all support 24V passive PoE. So you can use the AC-Lite, AC-LR for ceiling mounted points and the AC-Mesh for extending to the outside. I would also note that the UniFi G3 and G3 dome cameras will also work with 24V passive PoE so you can throw in some video cameras too. Finally you can use the following device to power 12V devices that take a 2.1mm center positive (I lot of stuff) device.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EBCQ5FM

That means you can power a HG612 or Vigor 130 modem from the router if you want. Put the router on an UPS or perhaps an EdgePower 24 and you can keep your internet going in the event of a power cut. I also use one of those adaptors to keep a second generation Vodafone SureSignal powered.

So yes there are some limitations, but on the other hand with a little thought it can work very well. Finally though it's a bit pricey there are 24 passive PoE to 802.3af available though it is tricky to get ahold of in the UK and rather expensive

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I0WNFUM
Standard User dogcat
(newbie) Thu 16-Jan-20 11:38:01
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

Nobody should be recommended to buy Passive PoE kit now, unless its to power secondary switches, its a dead end for all other use cases.

As to OP, if all you are doing is running AP's off the PoE switch don't get the Ubiquiti Switches, they are great but you will not be making use of them as all you need is a unmanaged switch. You can get a PoE+ 60W Gigabit switch for around £50 from various good manufacturers, i.e. less than half the price for the Ubiquiti switch.

Router if you want the one common front end then get the USG, it will do if you are on FTTC.

Edited by dogcat (Thu 16-Jan-20 11:39:11)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to