Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User smiffy12
(experienced) Sun 26-Jan-20 08:54:24
Print Post

VPN Help Please?

[link to this post]

Hi, my friend (a cliche I know but true) is moving to the Far East (Cambodia) for a year for work. He watches TV and has been told that henwon’t be able to access iPlayer from abroad which which is something he would have loved to have done.

I have heard that an installation of a VPN program would allow him to still, play things like iPlayer - am Imright in this and if so, please could anyone suggest some options. It,doesn’t matter if it costs if it does a good job and is reliable

Thanks everybody for any help
Standard User bobrey
(learned) Mon 27-Jan-20 08:28:16
Print Post

Re: VPN Help Please?

[re: smiffy12] [link to this post]

I use a VPN service for that reason. I have accessed iPlayer in Singapore, Thailand & Hong Kong using a VPN. I have a 5 year package however it is possible to buy a monthly VPN connection to try it out.
I would suggest that your 'friend' waits till they're in Cambodia then try to access iPlayer if they have already a user account with them. If they are unable to download programmes then pick one of the month by month VPN services that have UK servers then try that way. A good way to check which VPNs work best in Cambodia is to ask other expats.
If they're going to be away long time then they can sign up for 3 month , 6month or 1 year account.
Standard User aks
(committed) Wed 26-Feb-20 23:53:55
Print Post

[re: bobrey] [link to this post]

Care to share more of your experiences and VPN service you selected (any why)? I travel too, so looking for any info, pros/cons.

---
Tony

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User amiga_dude
(newbie) Thu 27-Feb-20 10:19:15
Print Post

I buy something like Raspberry PI (version 2 or 3 will do the job, you dont need 4.). Ethernet cable and little of own time to set one up your self.

Yes you can set up own VPN at you home. Just google Raspberry PI VPN
and youtube with same term and easy to set up.

I would also set up free Dynmaic DNS (DDNS)

PS I use Raspberry Pi 1 Model B+ and this way old.
Standard User awontroba
(member) Thu 27-Feb-20 11:08:52
Print Post

Friend may care to read https://www.fastestvpnguide.com/workaround-for-bbc-i... to aid their choice of VPN provider.

--
Adrian
Standard User funkydan
(learned) Thu 27-Feb-20 11:12:39
Print Post

I was recently thinking of getting a VPN and have done some reading up.
Yes, a VPN would allow your friend to watch geo blocked content anywhere in the world.
ExpressVPN gets good reviews as does IPVaniish.
Surfshark is constantly having a sale. Currently it's £1.59 a month on a 2 year contract. You can install in on unlimited devices. You have to pay the whole 2 years upfront. When you go to their website it will say deal will end in XX Hours but when the deal ends it will restart at the same price. Bear in mind they advertise the price in GBP but will convert it to USD in the payment page which makes the price slightly higher.
All the information you need is freely available on Google, Youtube and trustpilot.
Standard User jaba
(regular) Fri 28-Feb-20 00:18:13
Print Post

[re: funkydan] [link to this post]

I spend a couple of months regularly in France and use a VPN for iplayer.
It is not 100% satisfactory due to buffering sometimes.
I have found that ExpressVPN and Nordvpn give the best results but it takes some time when connecting to find the best UK server to use to get continuous streaming. It is not that the connections are slow I think it is more to do with the servers not being able to cope with the demand.
You can sign up with either for a trial which if cancelled before the end of the month is refunded without any problem.
Interestingly if I use my UK Three mobile tethered I do not need to use a VPN because it connects to a UK IP address.
  Print Thread

Jump to