Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User slowmo87
(newbie) Sun 16-Feb-20 18:36:54
Print Post

Home wiring cat6.

[link to this post]

I don't know who else to ask other than you fine folks. I have searched on google, but honestly not really found an answer to my question.

Who do I pay to run cat 6 to the rooms upstairs? Wireless is spotty and others in the house play games. We currently run a cable loosely up the stairs that I tripped over and almost broke my neck so I think it's time I do something about the situation.

I wouldn't know how to do it and I don't have a drill. Would I pay an electrician to do this or is it something openreach would do? Would it be expensive?
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 16-Feb-20 19:06:15
Print Post

Re: Home wiring cat6.

[re: slowmo87] [link to this post]

You could ask your local electricians whether it is something they could do. If there is a local computer shop they might know of someone.

Michael Chare
Standard User longedge
(experienced) Sun 16-Feb-20 19:28:09
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Also Security Alarm technicians are very good at cable routing and have all the tools for fishing cable if need be.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User busterboy
(committed) Sun 16-Feb-20 20:18:08
Print Post

Local CCTV installers.

BTBroadband
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 16-Feb-20 20:26:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by slowmo87:
I wouldn't know how to do it and I don't have a drill. Would I pay an electrician to do this or is it something

Good thing you don't have a drill! Get an electrician to route the cable safely if the preferred routing requires drilling through walls or ceilings and upstairs floorboards.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 16-Feb-20 21:05:31
Print Post

And don't really bother with Cat6, Cat5e is perfectly adequate for 1Gbps

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User funkydan
(learned) Sun 16-Feb-20 21:12:45
Print Post

Is the cable you have already (the one that tried to kill you) the cat6 cable you want installed. Are you purchasing the cable yourself or are you leaving the cable type to the installer.
The reason I ask is there are a few different types. If you are purchasing the cable and would like to know more about the different types reply and I will explain them.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Sun 16-Feb-20 22:58:36
Print Post

[re: funkydan] [link to this post]

Possibly its just a very long adsl cable filtered at the master socket running to a router upstairs? smile
Standard User Adduxi
(newbie) Mon 17-Feb-20 07:43:41
Print Post

Thinking outside the box. You could run the cable externally from inside the house, up the outside wall into the roofspace to a switch and drop cables down to each bedroom. ?
Just a thought
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Mon 17-Feb-20 11:24:48
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
And don't really bother with Cat6, Cat5e is perfectly adequate for 1Gbps

Well technically Cat5e is perfectly adequate for 2.5Gbps at the full distance of 100, and on short distances for 5Gbps. However in a domestic environment Cat6 will future proof you for 10Gbps. You get 55m at 10Gbps on Cat6 provided it is not heavily bundled. So unless you have a very large house or bundle it inappropriately (in a commercial install you would typically have bundles the size of your arm of cable in the patching racks), Cat6 is more than adequate for 10Gbps ethernet.

Consequently, it would be IMHO nuts to go to the expense and hassle of having ethernet cable run and save a few quid by using Cat5e over Cat6. Donít spoil the ship for a haíporth of tar as they say,

Personally I like to use LSZH cable for a few extra quid. It comes with a purple jacket which makes it instantly distinguishable under the floor etc. from other cables.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to