Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 19-Feb-20 14:21:39
Print Post

Re: Home wiring cat6.

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Absolutely true.

You really need to be a poweruser to even think "oh i need a network in my home"

Vodafone FTTP - 500/500
VOXI - 4G
Standard User Swac3
(learned) Wed 19-Feb-20 15:09:12
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

You don't really have to be a "power user", just a tiny bit aware, The level of aware such that you dont use terms like WIFI when you mean your broadband.

We have SKY, the TV an Xbox and a Unifi Mesh WIfi device hooked up to a Switch in our living room, networked to the upstairs box room where theres another switch connected to a second Unifi Mesh, My PC the printer and the Broadband router.

I'm not a 'power user' i dont think, I just didn't want patchy weak wifi around the house and a cabled connection to decent WIFI kit beats flakey powerline or cheap 'boosters' all day everyday.

Given the fttp newbuild policy from Openreach, house builders should be installing suitable conduit in their houses as standard, at least from where the ONT is installed to where the entertainment system will be and then upstairs.

Costs and time at first fix would be trivial, if its just empty conduit.
Standard User Nickyboy
(member) Wed 19-Feb-20 15:12:46
Print Post

[re: funkydan] [link to this post]

Excuse the slight Hijacking smile

Hey funkydan,
I'm in a similar situation except I want to run 2 cables externally,1 to my study 25-30mtrs and 1 to my Son's bedroom 8-10mtrs...guesstimations on the distance at the moment
I was going to attempt this myself(god knows why as I'm not the "handiest") but have no idea on the cabling apart from I want cat6 so any knowledge/advice you can share on cables,do's and don'ts of running them would be great.

Nicky.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User fredfox
(experienced) Wed 19-Feb-20 15:55:55
Print Post

[re: Nickyboy] [link to this post]

I've run a cable (Cat6) around the outside of the house from living room to "office". A friend of mine had already done it, his advice was to make sure I used outdoor suitable cable. He'd used some generic stuff he'd bought from Amazon and in the sun the outside covering had become brittle and broke apart. He then had to replace it all.

Pipex
Nildram
UKFSN
Be *
Xilo / Uno
Now -> Zen and BT

Fibre is here ! FTTP smile
Standard User Swac3
(learned) Wed 19-Feb-20 16:27:44
Print Post

[re: Nickyboy] [link to this post]

Hiya,

I'm Not funkydan but,

When you say externally do you mean outside the house rather than externally clipped to the wall/skirtingboard?

Are you in a single or two story house,

You cany buy Exterior grade CAT6 if its going outside, waterproof and UV resistant, its not much different in price really in such short amounts.

If you buy pre terminated cables you'll,
A. Need a bigger hole to pass the plugs through.
B. To accept you'll likely have a coil of cable left at one end or the other.

If you buy unterminated cable its easy to pull through as the connectors dont snag on anything and everything but you'll then have to terminate the ends yourself.

If you're drilling through the outside wall remember the neatest hole is usually the side you're drilling from, irs the exiting drill bit that usually causes chipping or splintering, But drilling from the outside in is much trickier to get right.

Ideally if you're drilling through the external wall a slight angle would be perfect ie lower on the outside than inside, and if you're running vertically your cable should really have a loop so water running down the wall doesnt track along the cable into your hoose.

I think ive made it sound way more complicated than it is, but better than someone drilling through their ringmain or water pipes.

If you're drilling through plasterboard etc then if you're not sure where pipes or mains cables are, use a drill but just by hand to make yor initial hole and take a look through, to be honest if the exit/entry point isn't ina very obvious place you're much easier all round cutting a bigger hole and putting a single recessed wall box in.

Bend radius of cat 6 is roughly 1 inch so avoid lovely tight 90 degree bends.

You dont say what age or type of construction your house is, but it can have a big impact on the challenges or not of doing this and depending, could be easier running it inside.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 19-Feb-20 17:13:57
Print Post

[re: Swac3] [link to this post]

Why would anyone buy preterminated Cat5e/6 cables to put infrastructure wiring in place? Patch leads yes but not permanent fixed cabling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 19-Feb-20 17:19:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by Swac3:
Costs and time at first fix would be trivial, if its just empty conduit.

Not te way they look at it though ... say a couple of hours for each house and that would be £100 time and materials.

A major housebuilder does 10-20,000 houses, so te overall cost which would be miniscule to each purchaser relative to the house prices, would be £1-2 million for te builder which they would grab. Every pound they can save, they do ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User John_Gray
(member) Wed 19-Feb-20 18:29:04
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

I'm struggling to think why the average domestic user would ever need 10Gbps and rarely use as much as 1Gbps - other than for speed test purposes

I've always thought that this was useful/necessary to be able to run Windows updates faster... smile
Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 19-Feb-20 18:31:46
Print Post

Well i'd agree to that sure

I should have just said

normies don't think about making a network usually.

Vodafone FTTP - 500/500
Giffgaff - 4G
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Feb-20 19:08:39
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by epyon:
normies don't think about making a network usually.

Not sure who "normies" are, but some new property owners do consider having some form of LAN. I saw a very competent electrician install Cat6 and RJ45 sockets together with a property rewire the other day (he even relocated the NTE5!)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to