Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Sam1234
(newbie) Sat 11-Apr-20 17:08:11
Print Post

Connecting a 2nd router to an summer house

[link to this post]

Hello - I am hoping that some can help me.

I have a summer hose at the back of my garden, when I had this build I had a electrician run cat5 cable from the back of my main BT phone socket to the summer house. He tested the socket in the summer hose with a phone and it worked. I have now purchased a TP-Link wireless n router and want to make it work in the summer house. I have a BT smart hub connected to the master socket in my house for internet in the house. How can I get the router woring in the summer house?
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 11-Apr-20 17:36:23
Print Post

Re: Connecting a 2nd router to an summer house

[re: Sam1234] [link to this post]

Google for: "configure a router to be an access point"

There was a description on this website, but at the moment I can't find it.

Michael Chare
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 11-Apr-20 17:46:23
Print Post

The Cat5 cable is carrying the phone line or an Ethernet signal?

If phone line then you need to rewire it to handle Ethernet, so ideally adding an Ethernet socket and making sure the pairs are wired correctly at each end.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-Apr-20 18:10:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by Sam1234:
How can I get the router woring in the summer house?

You have to lose the phone in the summer house, and change the wiring to be an Ethernet connection. As MrSaffron says, you have to unwire this from the back of the master socket, and attach a plug, and plug that into the BT smart hub, and the other end can then be plugged into your TPLink router.

You can't have two routers on a single phone line.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Sam1234
(newbie) Sat 11-Apr-20 18:15:00
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Thanks Michael_Chare, the 2 router can act as an access point as the cat5 cable that's connected to the house is in a BT phone socket, not in the BT hub router.
Standard User Sam1234
(newbie) Sat 11-Apr-20 18:19:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks MrSaffron, I will check with the electrician as I did tell him the line so I can have internet at the back of the garden.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-Apr-20 18:26:33
Print Post

Thanks MrSaffron, I will check with the electrician as I did tell him the line so I can have internet at the back of the garden.

Not all electricians will understand how to do this. Its not really an electrician's job.

Standard User Sam1234
(newbie) Sat 11-Apr-20 18:27:31
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thanks jchamier, I will have to get the electrician back to do this.
Standard User funkydan
(learned) Sat 11-Apr-20 19:19:21
Print Post

As others have said the extension socket in the summer house has been wired for a telephone and not the internet.
You need to tell the electrician that you want the extension to be a "Network Access Point". Then you can attach the TP Link router and configure it.
Ask the electrician first if they can do this as they will have to disconnect the extension from the back of the main BT phone socket and attach an RJ45 plug to it. To do that the electrician would need a crimping tool. The RJ45 plug would then need to plugged into the back of the BT smart hub.
The electrician would also need to know the wiring sequence from the RJ45 plug to the phone socket in the summer house. If they get the sequence wrong at either end it won't work.
If the electrician doesn't normally do this sort of thing my guess is they won't have a crimping tool or any knowledge of the wiring sequence.

Edited by funkydan (Sat 11-Apr-20 20:56:10)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-Apr-20 20:01:42
Print Post

[re: funkydan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by funkydan:
Ask the electrician first if they can do this as they will have to disconnect the extension from the back of the main BT phone socket and attach an RJ11 plug to it.

Better an RJ45.

Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Sat 11-Apr-20 20:28:33
Print Post

Hello - I am hoping that some can help me.

I have a summer hose at the back of my garden, when I had this build I had a electrician run cat5 cable from the back of my main BT phone socket to the summer house. He tested the socket in the summer hose with a phone and it worked. I have now purchased a TP-Link wireless n router and want to make it work in the summer house. I have a BT smart hub connected to the master socket in my house for internet in the house. How can I get the router woring in the summer house?

Well I guess we have at least a CAT5e cable run from the house to the summerhouse which for some obscure reason is wired just as a remote phone extension. If indeed it is CAT5e cable run, then it needs to be rewired with a CAT5e socket on each end. Then we can start to provide the service you require.

To provide an internet wireless service in the summerhouse will mean a patch cable run from the socket in the house to a spare way on the router. At the other end a dedicate wireless adaptor (AP) is used with another patch cable from the summerhouse socket to the AP. Job done.

With the appropriate skills an unloved, wireless router can be configured as just an AP service.

If you want a phone extension in the summerhouse as well, then a pair of CAT5e Voice/Data Economisers will be needed plus a BT to CAT5e patch cable and a Master Line Adaptor BT to RJ45. (These items not required if it's a VoIP phone)

I do, however, have extreme doubts that the existing cable run is CAT5 and is more probably CAT3 or similar.
Standard User funkydan
(learned) Sat 11-Apr-20 20:59:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Ask the electrician first if they can do this as they will have to disconnect the extension from the back of the main BT phone socket and attach an RJ11 plug to it.

Better an RJ45.

Cheers jchamier. Edited to correct my mistake.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 11-Apr-20 21:33:14
Print Post

And the cable should NOT be terminated in a plug. It should go to a socket.

You obviously do not understand te difference between solid infrastructure cable and multi-strand used for patch leads.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-Apr-20 21:55:31
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
You obviously do not understand te difference between solid infrastructure cable and multi-strand used for patch leads.

And neither do we know what was installed by the electrician. Could have used a long run of patch cable. We just don't know smile

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 11-Apr-20 22:00:50
Print Post

Well the OP says Cat5, easy enough to buy Cat5 infrastructure cable but apart from pre-made leads patch cable is not readily available.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Sat 11-Apr-20 23:09:09
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

And you can get plugs that are designed to go on infrastructure aka solid rather than stranded cable. For example

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003GSAM4C

or

https://cpc.farnell.com/tuk/pxspdy6c-10/speedy-rj45-...

Best not to admonish people for giving wrong advice when you are actually wrong yourself smile

A typical use would be for ceiling mounted access points where you don't want a socket and you just have the infrastructure cable sticking out a hole in the ceiling. They are also typically used with security/video cameras. again for similar reasons.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Sat 11-Apr-20 23:12:16
Print Post

Er, not strictly true. Cat5e/Cat6 has four pairs and provided you are willing to live with 100Mbps which only requires two pais you can put both Ethernet and telephone (actually two of them) or in fact two Ethernet's down the same cable.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Sat 11-Apr-20 23:28:36
Print Post

As nobody else has brought this up I will

Hum consumer grade router in a summer house. Unless this summer house is a "conditioned" environment, do yourself a favour and get a more appropriate access point that will survive the temperatures and humidity extremes.

Personally I would recommend the UniFi AC-Mesh as being just the ticket for this application

https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-acces...

You can use it like a bog standard WiFi access point (you can ignore the mesh feature) and it's rated for -30 to 70 Celsius and 5-95% humidity. That is substantially better than the TP link router is going to be rated for which is unlikely to survive very long if this is a summer house rather than a proper garden office.

It can also be powered using PoE from the house which sidesteps a whole range of potential ground loop issues.
Standard User gary333
(committed) Sat 11-Apr-20 23:33:02
Print Post

On a side note. Did the electrician run the CAT5 down through a separate conduit than the armoured steel power cable you’ll have had installed from the houses consumer unit? Electricians should be aware that they must do this (separate conduits) but some are bodgers. If not, you’ll likely run in to interference issues.

I’d be a bit worried if an electrician doesn’t know how to terminate a CAT5 so I’m sure it’ll be no issue getting them to swap socket out for a network plate. As he’s wired up CAT5 as a phone line then he’s likely been working on ‘new’ builds at they like to use CAT5e for phone lines rather than network socket as for some reason the modern world hasn’t caught up with the big house builders.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Sun 12-Apr-20 00:30:52
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

If it is in conduit, then you don't actually have to use SWA cable. That is only required for direct burial, though personally I would want to use SWA even if it's in a conduit. You can also get SWA Cat5e/6. I believe you can run both in the same conduit if you have fire retardant cable. Though I fail to understand the risk reduction of having the 100mm separated conduit because my spade is wider than 100mm. Besides which the SWA should be grounded so the protective equipment should kick in and Ethernet devices should be isolated to 1500V. Specifically they should not blow up, cause a fire, electrcute someone etc. if subjected to mains voltage. It has baked into the standard for as long as Ethernet has existed (so around 40 years at this point in time).

Anyway if the mains is actually SWA then it is effectively shielded so noise issues should be none existent. If you do have problems it would suggest the SWA is not properly grounded which is a fault condition that should cause it to fail inspection.

In the data centre at work power and ethernet run next to one another all the time without issue, and not just your bog standard twisted pair, but much more delicate 10/40Gbps Ethernet. and 100Gbps Omnipath on direct attach cables, without issue. It would be impossible to wire up the racks otherwise unless one switched to fibre optic for everything.

I would further add that in offices with the trunking on the walls the power and Ethernet all run parallel all the time. Usually for distances longer than your average garden too. Again without issue.

I feel an experiment coming on with an extension lead and long patch lead. Unfortunately I have a feeling I don't have any long patch leads at home and of course I am WFH at the moment.
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Apr-20 04:28:59
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

The Unifi UAP-AC-M is a really good piece of equipment for this scenario, certainly. If it's externally mounted it will probably provide excellent coverage inside the summer house and in the garden too. I've recently used one just like that.

Caveat emptor:

While configuring Unifi equipment isn't rocket science, it requires a better technical understanding than the average consumer access point - because it isn't a consumer product. It's not really something many traditional electricians are going to be able to configure easily - or at all. What you don't want to do is have someone who charges you by the hour, and takes a long time because they're clueless and take ages to get it working, and even then not properly.

Advice to the OP - the Unifi UAP-AC-M is a really excellent choice for this use but either get someone who has Unifi experience to set it up or take the time to learn how to do it yourself. You can practise configuring it all inside the house before it's set up for the summer house.

If it's mounted on the outside of the summer house, it will need a short length of electrically shielded external grade ethernet cable to connect it to the inside of the summer house. Regular PVC jacketed ethernet cable will quickly degrade in sunshine. You can buy external ethernet cable by the metre from Broadbandbuyer or MS Distribution under the name Tough Cable Pro. It also must have shielded RJ45 connectors and the shield must be earthed - either through the supplied power supply or better still via a separate ethernet surge protector like the Ubiquiti ETH-SP-G2. If the Cat5e cable that runs to the house doesn't have a screen with an earth wire, you will either need to put the mains power supply in the summer house or put an ethernet surge protector there.

Final point about outside mounting: You must configure the access point for specific outdoor use in the Unifi controller.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do and come back with an update or further questions.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Apr-20 04:40:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
I feel an experiment coming on with an extension lead and long patch lead. Unfortunately I have a feeling I don't have any long patch leads at home and of course I am WFH at the moment.
In my experience, patch cables become unwieldy at the 20m length point. I now make up 15m ones and use Cat6A shielded couplers smile

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Standard User Sam1234
(newbie) Sun 12-Apr-20 11:24:00
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Hi the CAT5 is down through a separate conduit from the electricity. If I ask the electrician to change the face plate on the socket in the summer house to a network face plate, and install a new back bod and network face place in the house and wire the CAT5 cable into there, will this work? I will connect the main BT router from the network face plate in the house to an LAN port on the router and then in the summer house cornet the router to the WAN port and set it up as an access point - will this work?
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Sun 12-Apr-20 11:33:26
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

If you already have WiFi from another source, (which the OP does) you can just install the UniFi app on a phone or tablet and set it up from there as a stand alone device. There is no requirement to touch the UniFi Network Controller software. It is frankly no harder than any other sort of access point and certainly easier than turning a router into an access point. You can then use the UniFi app to keep the firmware updated.

In fact if you have a working DHCP server on the network you can even use a USB on the go adaptor and a USB ethernet adaptor to get it setup with a suitable Android device. It's how I set mine up, though I did have WiFi access at the time, I turned it off to see if this method would work in case I had to reinstall from scratch down the line at which point I would only have UniFi access points smile

While it is outdoor rated the UniFi AC-M is not IP67 and needs to be in a sheltered spot. Personally I would put it inside the summer house which is likely to be timber only and offer little attenuation of the signal.

If you power it using PoE from the house there is no requirement for shielded Cat 5e/6 cable. There is plenty of unshielded external grade Cat 5e/6 available on the market. I am not saying it's a bad thing, just not absolutely necessary as there is no reason to expect a static buildup. The Ubiquiti tough cable is more targeted at the fixed wireless access market with devices attached to top of tall masts where static buildup is a concern. There is of course no harm in using it other than to your wallet.

I would however at this juncture note that even if run in conduit and it does not go outside the summer house you need to use an exterior grade cable, and even then not all exterior cable is suitable for running in buried ducts. Ordinary Cat 5e/6 is certainly not suitable at all for running in buried conduits. At a minimum you want something that is gel filled as ducts often fill with water and standard Cat 5e/6 and not all exterior grade are rated for immersion in water for extended periods.

Personally I would always go with SWA to give myself some spade protection for anything under ground. Once it comes inside remove the SWA jacket for ease of use and seal the end of the SWA to the internal cable with some adhesive lined shrink wrap tubing. Usually the internal cable has an outdoor rated jacket but worth double checking.
Standard User funkydan
(learned) Sun 12-Apr-20 11:46:38
Print Post

Hi the CAT5 is down through a separate conduit from the electricity. If I ask the electrician to change the face plate on the socket in the summer house to a network face plate, and install a new back bod and network face place in the house and wire the CAT5 cable into there, will this work? I will connect the main BT router from the network face plate in the house to an LAN port on the router and then in the summer house cornet the router to the WAN port and set it up as an access point - will this work?

If that is the requirement that meets your needs and you are happy with a simple set up then yes, that will work.
Standard User Sam1234
(newbie) Sun 12-Apr-20 12:26:24
Print Post

thanks funkydan I am looking for a simple set up. Final question, if I set up the second router as an access point in the summer house, can I wire a laptop to the router as well as using it wireless ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 12-Apr-20 12:58:04
Print Post

Routers running as access points usually allow this.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User funkydan
(learned) Sun 12-Apr-20 13:01:36
Print Post

You're welcome. I'm not sure. I have never set up a router as a wireless access point and don't know what settings you would need to change on the summer house router. I wouldn't like to guess.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 12-Apr-20 14:26:27
Print Post

Some routers e.g. Asus actually have it as a menu option, don't recall what router model you were planning to reuse.

I would recommend if you've not done it before to do the initial configuration of the router into access point when within a few feet of existing router, to avoid lots of back and forth. It is fairly straight forward but like lots of techy stuff first time is always more stressful.

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/wap/configuring-wap.html is a few bits on repurposing a router that does not have a built in access point mode.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Apr-20 14:55:49
Print Post

You're welcome. I'm not sure. I have never set up a router as a wireless access point and don't know what settings you would need to change on the summer house router. I wouldn't like to guess.
Only crucial one is to turn off DHCP, and if the WAN port is an ethernet port, NOT to use it. Otherwise things can get complicated.

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Apr-20 16:03:45
Print Post

If you already have WiFi from another source, (which the OP does) you can just install the UniFi app on a phone or tablet and set it up from there as a stand alone device.
Which is more complicated for the average user than just logging onto a web page on the device to set it up. I don't think my post mentioned a method of set up at all.
While it is outdoor rated the UniFi AC-M is not IP67 and needs to be in a sheltered spot.
IP67 requires a unit to be capable of being submerged in a metre of water for half an hour. That's not a likely scenario for an access point. There is no need to install the UAP-AC-M in a sheltered location provided that it is upright.
If you power it using PoE from the house there is no requirement for shielded Cat 5e/6 cable.
Actually, no, but if you do this it must still be earthed in the summer house, as I've stated. The device can be earthed through its power supply but only if the the cable and connectors are screened. If there's no screen, it's not earthed.

One reason for it to be earthed is that installing it without an earth invalidates the warranty;
TERMS OF USE: Ubiquiti radio devices must be professionally installed. Shielded Ethernet cable and earth grounding must be used as conditions of product warranty.
The second, and more serious one, is to provide protection in the event of an electrical storm. You may be happy to play fast and loose with the earthing requirements but I am not.
The Ubiquiti tough cable is more targeted at the fixed wireless access market with devices attached to top of tall masts where static buildup is a concern. There is of course no harm in using it other than to your wallet.
As I suggested, you can buy it by the metre and it won't break anyone's budget. Broadbanduyer charges £0.83 a metre including VAT and MS Distribution £0.52.

if you have an alternative source of shielded outdoor grade ethernet cable sold by the metre, that's good too, but apart from the Broadbandbuyer and MS Distribution, I don't know of one. It's worth pointing out that gel-filled ethernet cable, which you recommend, can be more expensive than regular outdoor grade cable. MS Distribution lists Tough Cable Pro for £0.52 per metre but gel filled cable costs £1.03 per metre. You also mustn't use it indoors because the gel is flammable - (the same warning that applies to BT CW1128 gel filled telephone cable).

Polyethylene jacketed cable is suitable for continuous immersion and can be duct rated whether gel filled or not. The reason some PE cables have a gel filling is to prevent water ingress should the jacket become mechanically damaged.

Sarah

--

Standard User mking90031
(regular) Sun 12-Apr-20 16:50:49
Print Post

Hi,

FWIW, I would like to re-iterate what others have said and you should REALLY contact an IT Consultant to do this. Asking an electrician would be like asking an architect to design the next Porsche. They wouldn't know what the H-e-Double-Hockey-Sticks they were doing and might do it all wrong. Just a friendly warning....

HTH,

Mark King MCP
www.mark-king-basingstoke.co.uk
Virginmedia 735.08 Mbps Down & 36.29 Mbps Up (according to Speed test on XBox 28/03/20)
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Sun 12-Apr-20 19:38:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
Which is more complicated for the average user than just logging onto a web page on the device to set it up. I don't think my post mentioned a method of set up at all.

And you know the IP address of the device to log in how exactly? Or you install the app and let it just scan the network. You mentioned it being complicated, the only way a UniFi access point is complicated to setup is if you come in through the network controller setup.

As a side note you could install WiFiMan on your Android device (sucks if you are an Apple user) and it can scan the network and tell you the IP of the device. I highly recommend WiFiMan (it's a Ubiquiti app that is free) to everyone.

There is no need to install the UAP-AC-M in a sheltered location provided that it is upright.

Feel free to put it out exposed to the elements. It is not suitable for that and won't last. I suggest you Google it, there are plenty of reports of people having issues when fully exposed to the elements.

One reason for it to be earthed is that installing it without an earth invalidates the warranty;
TERMS OF USE: Ubiquiti radio devices must be professionally installed. Shielded Ethernet cable and earth grounding must be used as conditions of product warranty.

Fair enough but it's not necessary if being installed in a summer house. You can use the device indoors in your main house. Would you say that it is necessary for it to be grounded in that scenario? Of course not and the grounding requirement is about it being installed up a mast which is not the scenario here. I repeat the need for grounding and a drain wire is for electrostatic buildup when installed on a mast.

The second, and more serious one, is to provide protection in the event of an electrical storm. You may be happy to play fast and loose with the earthing requirements but I am not.

If you think that having it earthed will help in the slightest in the event of a direct strike by lightning I have a slightly used bridge only a few snapped cables and brand new end trusses to sell.

if you have an alternative source of shielded outdoor grade ethernet cable sold by the metre, that's good too, but apart from the Broadbandbuyer and MS Distribution, I don't know of one.

TLC will sell both external and SWA by the metre.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Index/...

It's worth pointing out that gel-filled ethernet cable, which you recommend, can be more expensive than regular outdoor grade cable. MS Distribution lists Tough Cable Pro for £0.52 per metre but gel filled cable costs £1.03 per metre. You also mustn't use it indoors because the gel is flammable - (the same warning that applies to BT CW1128 gel filled telephone cable).

Polyethylene jacketed cable is suitable for continuous immersion and can be duct rated whether gel filled or not. The reason some PE cables have a gel filling is to prevent water ingress should the jacket become mechanically damaged.

And you know the jacket has not become damaged when you pulled it into the duct how exactly? I don't have Superman's X-Ray vision to examine the cable once installed. I would note that BT CW1128 is routinely run short distances internally to get to the NTE5, otherwise how do you get the cable inside?

Anyway the point is it needs to be duct grade. Not all external rated Cat 5e/6 is duct grade.
Standard User zzing123
(regular) Sun 12-Apr-20 19:43:06
Print Post

I wouldn't get the UAP-AC-M to link buildings at all - in fact a Mesh solution is the last solution if all else fails. Also if you want mesh, get Plume as that's astonishingly good.

If running CAT6 is too expensive/not an option, get the NanoBeam and bridge the two buildings together and form a rock solid link. Perfect for an end of garden office/shed, and all things considered considerably cheaper (~£80 each) than running CAT6. What you do in the shed is then the same as the house.

Also Toughcable is not suitable for being buried - it's designed for cabling up buildings and to masts - it's just got more plastic, no armouring. As moles love to chew any wire with electrical signals, no matter how faint, if burying a cable you need SWA (Steel Wire Armoured) cable or bog standard cable in a duct. While a 'hack' as comms are supposed to be in grey ducts, I find water pipes are a) considerably cheaper and b) just as good for duct work. So just make sure you mark it correctly. Check prices to see if standard cable + duct is cheaper than SWA or not as YMMV.

If you put Toughcable or a normal CAT5 cable in the mud, then it will work for about 3 months before it's chewed through and all that labour is for nothing. Don't do it! (speaking from experience!)
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Apr-20 20:16:26
Print Post

WiFiMan exists for iOS.
https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/ubiquiti-wifiman/id138...

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Apr-20 21:27:29
Print Post

I repeat the need for grounding and a drain wire is for electrostatic buildup when installed on a mast.
I'm really not sure what points you're trying to score but nowhere in the the Unifi documentation does it state it only has to be earthed if it's installed up a mast. You're just making things up to support your point of view.
If you think that having it earthed will help in the slightest in the event of a direct strike by lightning.
Again, you've made that up. Where do I say direct strike by lightning in my post? Nowhere.

I do have experience in the south of France where induced voltages during electrical storms (which are common) take out unprotected systems. That's why I prefer to follow Unifi's clear written installation instructions. You may choose not to, that's up to you.
if you have an alternative source of shielded outdoor grade ethernet cable sold by the metre, that's good too, but apart from the Broadbandbuyer and MS Distribution, I don't know of one.
TLC will sell both external and SWA by the metre.
Good luck trying to put a shielded RJ45 plug on SWA so you can connect it into the ethernet socket on the access point smirk. Both their SWA and duct grade ethernet are more expensive per metre than Unifi's Tough Cable from either Broadbanduyer or MS Distribution.

You may care to note (but probably won't) that all the mentions I made about external cable in my first post relate only to the final tail that goes into the access point. I didn't mention the cable from the house to the summer house at all. That's already been installed by the electrician.

Sarah

--

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Apr-20 21:31:51
Print Post

[re: zzing123] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zzing123:
I wouldn't get the UAP-AC-M to link buildings at all - in fact a Mesh solution is the last solution if all else fails.
You're falling into the jabuzzard trap as I haven't suggested using using meshing to connect the summer house. There's an ethernet cable to it already.

Sarah

--

Standard User godsell4
(member) Mon 29-Jun-20 10:44:12
Print Post

Hello Sam,

How did the electrician bring the power and data cable neatly into the summer house? Inside the summer house do you have recessed concealed/hidden box for this equipment with an access panel or is it all on display sitting on a shelf?

You might see I started a thread on this, but it seems you have done this recently.

Thanks.

Gigaclear FTTP 300Mb on Order
Three HomeFi 15 to 20Mb.

PlusNet Unlimited Fibre an unreliable 3Mb
Standard User Sam1234
(newbie) Sun 05-Jul-20 10:39:12
Print Post

[re: godsell4] [link to this post]

I have a trench in my garden so the electrician ran the cables in plastic pipes along the garden to the summer hose, the plastic is all hidden underground. Inside the summer house I have a second fuse box so all the wires are hidden, and the broadband wire goes straight into a phone socket on the wall so it all looks very neat
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 06-Jul-20 19:09:35
Print Post

[re: godsell4] [link to this post]

Although too late for Sam, you can get a combined 240 volt power and CAT 5 Steel Wired Armoured cable which can be direct buried and is ideal for a summer house.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold Home::1 FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco SPA112 and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM
Standard User godsell4
(member) Wed 08-Jul-20 16:42:43
Print Post

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

Thanks I can see how that would help in many locations.

Gigaclear FTTP 300Mb on Order
Three HomeFi 15 to 20Mb.

PlusNet Unlimited Fibre an unreliable 3Mb
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to